Outdoors
Sponsored by

Looking for opinions on Vortex Strike Eagle 1-6x24

5,590 Views | 21 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Nealthedestroyer
Aggieangler93
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I'm considering this one for around $350 with mount for using on my 300BO upper for deer and pigs. Any opinions on it or something better in the same price range? My other AR has a red dot, so i want to use this one for up to 400 yards or so.

FOLLOW UP: PSA Daily deal rang me up on the 1x6, at a helluva bargain $265 with mount. Thanks OB.
Class of '93 - proud Dad of a '22 grad and a '26 student!
sjislepilot
AG
I picked up the 1-8 power for around $270 shipped from Palmetto State. I like the optic. I have it on my blackout. Generally though I'm not getting the opportunity to shoot more than 100 yards.
BCStalk
You are not going to be shooting a 300blk to 400 yards. That being said, I have their 1-8x on mine and their 1-6x on my Grendel. The Grendel with that scope has no issues out to 450 yards on a 12x18 steel target, but it's really stretching it's limitations. I plan on switching them sooner or later from one to the other since 300blk is limited to 100-150 yards.
TdoubleH
AG
No info on the 1-6x but I'm pulling the trigger on the Vortex Spitfire 3x this week. I currently have the Nikon P223 and it's just an unnecessary bulky and heavy optic for what I've been using it for. I weighed the option of the 1-6x and settled on the spitfire instead. Just really like the the spitfire. I think it will work great for my typical 150 yard and under shots with the reticle setup to lob one out there at a yote or something. Either way, I'm sold on vortex optics quality at the price point and their customer service. It works for me. So I'm sure the 1-6x will do you just fine if it fits your wants and needs.
BigHead 04
AG
I also have the 1-8x from PSA on a 8" 300 pistol. Couldn't be happier. My 8 year old shot his first buck with it the weekend before Christmas at about 100 yards.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
TopFlightReject
I've got the Vortex SE 1-6x on an 18" .223/5.56. Great scope with a pretty good reticle for ARs. I snagged mine a couple years back off of Optics Planet for a little less than $300 and that included the Vortex extended cantilever mount. For $350 I feel like you could snag a 1-8x with rings for around that price but i havent been glass shopping in a while.

The SE isnt a true 1x on the low end but I dont think you'll find a true 1x unless you go to some of the higher end scopes. Depending on what you're doing with it probably doesnt matter.

Would also suggest taking a look at PA's scopes. I bought a 4-14x for a .223 wylde build that has been nails so far.
TopFlightReject
BigHead what ammo were you using for your 300BO? I'm trying to find a good hunting round that my 300 likes. Thanks!
rally-cap
AG
Aggieangler93 said:

I'm considering this one for around $350 with mount for using on my 300BO upper for deer and pigs. Any opinions on it or something better in the same price range? My other AR has a red dot, so i want to use this one for up to 400 yards or so.
Love my SE 1-6, its what I run on my 3 gun rifle. I can easily take shots out to 600 with it. I prefer the reticle in the 1-6 over the reticle in the 1-8, but that may just be personal preference.

I've heard good things about the similar Primary Arms scopes, but you honestly can not beat the Vortex lifetime warranty, they will replace it no matter what, as long as you didn't cause the damage.
SMM48
AG
Perfect scope for what you are looking for
BigHead 04
AG
For that buck he was shooting some 150gr supers I think. Shot it suppressed. Not only for recoil, but adding that length makes me worry less in the stand with him. It was junk ammo but thankfully good shot placement.

I want to order some Lehigh defense max expansion or try the discreet ballistics subsonic hunting load. Both look cool. I just haven't had time yet. Finished this build just in time for him to shoot it.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
P.U.T.U
AG
For a 300 blackout I would run a 1x4 or 1x6 since you are not going to be taking shots further than 150, mostly inside 100 I bet. I have a 1x4 Primary Arms on my 6.8 and I think I am going to jump up to a 1x6 since the stand is about 150 yards from the feeder and tank. Years of hunting with a 3-9 and keeping it on 6x got me used to that magnification.

If any of you are parting with a 1-6 or 1-8 I would be interested.
SMM48
AG
Barnes 110 supers

https://www.barnesbullets.com/ammunition/300-blackout/
GSS
PSA is running their combo Vortex 1x8 w/mount for $300. Usually something similar for the 1x6, but I didn't see it currently listed.

I have the 1x8, and agree it's some quality glass (even though it's Chi-Com built).

Added: the Vortex 1x6 combo popped up on the PSA daily deal...$250
NRA Life
TSRA Life
P.U.T.U
AG
Dang 1-8 with a mount is not bad at all, I already have a mount with my 1-4 so I guess I could sell it as a package
MrWonderful
AG
I had the vortex strike eagle for my 6.8. Took it hunting one time and sold it right afterwards. The light transmission is so bad on it.

If you're actually going to use it for hunting, look at the Leupold vx-3i 2.5x-8x. Get's you plenty of range, but still able to zoom out for close / quick shooting on pigs. Great glass for the $
wreckt01
have a 1-6 and a 1-8. love them both. have used the 1-8 out to 500 yards with no issues in run and gun events.
drummer0415
AG
I have a Strike Eagle 1-8 that I bought from PSA with a mount for a good deal a while back. It's still sitting in the box since I don't have a rifle to put it on. I know this helps you none, but I Just wanted to share that I have one.
Aggieangler93
AG
GSS said:

PSA is running their combo Vortex 1x8 w/mount for $300. Usually something similar for the 1x6, but I didn't see it currently listed.

I have the 1x8, and agree it's some quality glass (even though it's Chi-Com built).

Added: the Vortex 1x6 combo popped up on the PSA daily deal...$250
PSA daily deal on the 1x6 sounds like I need to find that link and click it....

Wow....$265 shipped to my door. Daily deal hit me right at the correct time!!! Thanks for the help OB.
Aggieangler93
AG
MrWonderful said:

I had the vortex strike eagle for my 6.8. Took it hunting one time and sold it right afterwards. The light transmission is so bad on it.

If you're actually going to use it for hunting, look at the Leupold vx-3i 2.5x-8x. Get's you plenty of range, but still able to zoom out for close / quick shooting on pigs. Great glass for the $
I appreciate the feedback. I am willing to risk it, based on the price point and knowing I will be shooting less than 300 yards most times.
EastTexAg09
I have the 1-8 on my ar and have really enjoyed it. However, I hunt on a tree farm and my longest available shot is 215 yards
Aggieangler93
AG
I added the link above in case anyone else needs a great scope for a great deal with the mount. The scope alone is more than this at Academy, and also, the mount is usually around 90 bucks.
Aggieangler93
AG
As a follow up, I wanted to say thanks to everyone on the advice. I picked up the 1-6x24 and sighted it in this weekend. It was nails and fits my needs perfectly. We had fun popping some steel and paper with it. Now, I just need to find an axis doe and some piggies.
Nealthedestroyer
AG
Save another couple hundo and get a Viper PST gen2 of whichever flavor you want.
Vae Victis
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.