Outdoors
Sponsored by

Duck Hunting Gear for a Beginner? (Waders and more)

6,178 Views | 28 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by FirefightAg
TheOC16
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I'm getting into waterfowl hunting this year (upland background). Been doing a lot of research and going to try to hunt as often as possible with some guys who have more experience than me.

In terms of gear, I was told the most important thing to get was waders. So I'm looking for recommendations.

My thought is that I'm buying at the wrong time of year (could probably get some good sales after the season), so I was thinking I'd go with a budget set this year to really learn what I'm looking for and what I like; then maybe purchase a more expensive option after the season for next year. Or should I go ahead and go all out on something I have no experience with?

I would think breathable would be the way to go here in Texas, and layer up underneath as needed.

Any recommendations?

Oh, and if you're bored, you're also welcome to give me decoy or other equipment recommendations while you're at it...

TIA!
el gato18
AG
Welcome to the greatest hobby around.

Breathable is good but depends on where you are hunting. If hunting timber or thicker brush I'd say neoprene. If hunting coastal or out of blinds breathables are good. I will usually hunt the first split with just camo pants as it is usually warm enough.

I always prefer stocking foot waders with booties to ensure good fitting shoes. I had a cheap pair of Hodgons neoprenes to start and really enjoyed them as they were durable. My breathable Simms finally got punctured by rose hedge last year and I had some cold wet hunts.

As for decoys they are pricey to get started, maybe check craigslist. Slowly build up if no luck there.

Best of luck!
ttha_aggie_09
AG
When you say Texas, where exactly do you mean?

I hunt between El Campo and Palacios and wear breathables almost exclusively. I've hunted in 95 and all the way down to 23... it's all about layers. The hunt when it was 23, we had a 20mph wind with gusts up to 35-40, and I was "comfortable". That's literally the only time I thought about neoprene waders and only for a second or two.

This pair from academy isn't great but is pretty dang good for the price:
https://www.academy.com/shop/pdp/magellan-outdoors-mens-tredlite-400-breathable-wader
They will eventually leak from the seams around the shin but are good for 2 season or so.

I have a pair of Simms from my Alaska trip that are great but not really needed for just an entry level pair, IMO.

Decoys are tough to recommend... I've been really impressed with Avian-X as of late but started with a couple dozen game winners. If you're hunting where you need a bunch of decoys, just start with buying a bunch of cheap ones and slowly start upgrading into higher quality brands. They're a lot more durable, have a better finish and seem to work better.

Check out:

https://www.rogerssportinggoods.com/

https://www.mackspw.com/

I would sign up for their daily emails, unless you don't really want to spend any money.

TheOC16
AG
Awesome. That's all great advice. I'll check it all out. And I'll definitely sign up for the daily emails, that's how I buy most of my clothes!
SanAntoneAg
AG
I'd recommend rigging your dekes Texas style. I resisted for a few years and shouldn't have.

Get a decent blind bag. But beware of going too large.

Camo bandana or paint to cover your face.

Edit: I've got one of these and it's been great for retrieving birds and dekes from deeper ponds.
https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1008192995
Gig 'em! '90
FirefightAg
AG
I've hunted ducks a little. Mostly in North Texas but some in Louisiana Oklahoma Kansas North Dakota and Canada. I've had breathable side I found out about them. Started with neoprene but they are just too hot and don't dry well when damp on the inside. So I avoid them. It's all in what you wear under the waders for breathable sometimes it's shorts and once I wore bibs and was toooooo hot.

Gear buy quality shells like Kent they are fast and round and in the game of steel speed kills. Any decoy will do really but I'd suggest a good rig i.e. Lifetime decoy rigs or similar that don't tangle and Texas rig. Also motion. A Hign pulsator is worth it's weight in 6-8 motionless floaters.
Post removed:
by user
PANHANDLE10
Never neoprene, even if it's cold.

I say buy cheap decoys. They're marketing to hunters. Ducks don't see them the way we see them.

Go somewhere there's real ducks, not a park. Just watch them and listen. That will really help.
ratfacemcdougal
Breathable waders are great and at the same time a funny thing. Some of my dimensions are odd, so make sure you try on the waders, don't just go by size. Depending on where you are, trying on is hard because of limited selection. Make sure you try on the boots with your waders on also. SO my waders are a stout king with a large stocking foot. My normal shoe size is 10 to 10.5. It is just too tight with the waders, so my wading boots are size 12 and they can be cinched tight enough that they dont feel loose, but the foot is not cramped with all of the extra bootie. Quality waders don't usually go on sale. There will be price reductions from last years model and inventory clearance. Once you know size and brand, you can check out sierra trading post.
AGdent07
AG
Lots of good info here. Welcome to another expensive hobby.

I grew up duck hunting the public marsh in Galveston bay. As for waders I always use breathable waders. I like having boots since they are more secure on my feet especially if you get into that gumbo mud. I use the same waders for fishing as duck hunting and just layer underneath depending on the temp.

You don't need super fancy gear to get started. Just make sure all parts of your skin are covered otherwise you will stick out like a sore thumb to circling birds (facemask is a must have and must wear, or facepaint).

I'd recommend a good waterproof/breathable jacket. Nothing super heavyweight but something that you can layer underneath. Heavy thick coats can really affect your ability to consistently shoulder your shotgun.

Post your clothing sizes and any gear you are looking for. Im sure I have some stuff I can clear out. Good luck.
jrbaggie
I buy a lot from Wings Supply. Great deals after season.
TheOC16
AG
Wow no kidding, tons of good info here!

As far as size, I'm 6'1" 175lbs. So sometimes medium jackets, sometimes large. Shoe size is 10.5-11.5.

As far as what I need - pretty much everything, haha. I have a 20 gauge but can borrow a 12 for this season no problem from my grandfather. Other than that, I'm starting from ground zero. I do a lot of quail hunting, but there's no need for camo there so I really don't even have much camo!
TheOC16
AG
That was great advice on the Rogers Sporting Goods email list. Saw Avian X mallard decoys on sale today for $60/6 pack. The reviews look great and if they hold up as well as everybody says that's a great deal. Ordered a set of open water and a set of back water.
Post removed:
by user
TheOC16
AG
Going to be mostly Central Texas. Have (what I think is) a pretty good place not far out of College Station.

Mallards are what was recommended to me.

What is your recommendation for this area?

*Edit to add: Looked on CL and FB marketplace and didn't see anything that in this area. Though there's potentially a good deal in Tomball. Don't know if I'll have time to get down that way before he sells his gear though.
SanAntoneAg
AG
Gadwall, widgeon, teal, pintail and shoveler dekes should work for you. Maybe wood duck depending on where you are.
Gig 'em! '90
AGdent07
AG
Yeah in the past I've purchased the GHG puddler pack combo. Gives you a variety of decoys (gadwall, widgeon, pintail). Plus I always carry a couple dozen teal and thrown the bunch in the middle surrounding my motion decoys.

I'd look around for used decoys or wait till out of season to purchase. Cost of decoys can really add up.
FirefightAg
AG
Mallards are fine no matter where you hunt. Don't buy woodducks. Maybe gadwall or pintail but only because they have some white on them and show up better. Again just get good rigging
BullSprig07
AG
Mallard decoys outnumber mallard ducks about 1,000-1 on the Texas prairie/coast if I had to guess.
Post removed:
by user
TheOC16
AG
third coast.. said:

Yea mallards are fine and all but realistically we dont see many on the texas coast or prairie. Sure there are some but I havent thrown out a mallard spread in years. Central flyway birds will be accustomed to seeing them in the entire migration though.
Okay - maybe a silly question here, but I'm new to migratory hunting - I'm assuming the thought there is that since they've seen them in the entire migration, you want to do something different? So look for the gadwall, widgeon, pintail that was recommended earlier?
BullSprig07
AG
Because people keep buying them.
Post removed:
by user
BullSprig07
AG
It's for the reasons above that some of my most expensive and lifelike decoys are spoonbills. It's not that I'm targeting spoonies (though I won't turn my nose at the chance to roll one up like a lawn chair) it's just that is what is actually in the marsh and on the prairie (along with teal, pintail, gadwall, wigeon).

That being said, IMO (and there's a lot more experienced waterfowlers than me in here), you are either on the spot that morning or you aren't. If you're on the X and that's where they want to be then you can have surf scoters next to mallards next to tundra swans and ducks will come right in. I think you're spread mostly makes a difference for tough days when birds aren't quite committing to your hole and maybe some sort of realism in the spread gets them to bank one more time just in range and your setup helps you scratch our a few that a poor spread may not have.
Post removed:
by user
AGdent07
AG
Yeah that's the truth. Also later in the season we pull all of our motion decoys and tend to put out much smaller spreads. Birds are much more educated later in the season and know what to avoid.
Post removed:
by user
ttha_aggie_09
AG
MoJo's are up for the year after first split, unless I'm hunting divers.
FirefightAg
AG
They type of decoy doesn t matter. I could kill a limit of gadwall over canvasback decoys

Mojo's are a must in the fields all year.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.