Outdoors
Sponsored by

School gun sign

4,272 Views | 33 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by AgLA06
Meaux92
How long do you want to ignore this user?

I saw this sign yesterday from a distance and immediately thought the worst. When I got closer, I was pleasantly surprised.

TheEyeGuy
Sponsor
AG
I support this.
Owner of Texian Firearms:
Dealer in Firearms, Optics, Night Vision and other shooting accessories.
US importer/distributor of Rudolph Optics
Supporting bad financial decisions since 2015
TxSquarebody
Lometa School
Aggieangler93
AG
Wish these were mandatory and true at all schools in the US. Also, wish more that they weren't needed, but that ship sailed long ago!
Class of '93 - proud Dad of a '22 grad and a '26 student!
ATX_AG_08
AG
Should have used the AR with the chainsaw attachment.
BenderRodriguez
AG
Pure insanity that most teachers who can carry around kids every night and weekend at the grocery store, the movie theater, the shopping mall, etc can't protect the little ones they teach every day at work.

Wish more school districts understood that.
Thomas Sowell, PhD
AG
How about just letting staff be able to protect THEMSELVES? They deserve that right. If they protect others (which they will), great. Empower women to protect themselves.
Meaux92
The "gun free" designation needs to be removed from schools. And everywhere else.
Muzzleblast
Iola Schools have this in Grimes County.
Chetos
AG
BrazosDog02
AG
Are they armed with LOLPOOR AR15 like in the sign?

Yall need to get those folks hooked up with some tacticool stuff.

Teachers have the minimum amount of flare. They need more flare!

45-70Ag
AG
Our sheriffs dept, dps and local police said don't let your teachers carry for three reasons.

1). Two cops stay on campus all day
2). Three police depts can be there in two minutes
3). Police will kill everyone with a gun and won't ask questions whether you're a teacher or shooter.

Once they said this, the discussion was over.
aftershock
Number 3 has always kind of been the kicker for me. Like I'm all for defending yourself in any situation, I just want to make sure when the good guys show up they know I'm on their team (or at least not a bad guy).
BenderRodriguez
AG
Stoneman Douglas had cops on campus too.

I love when people (even cops) subscribe to the magical boundary theory around schools that somehow things happen differently on campus. Cops respond to calls every single day where there might be a law abiding citizen responding to violence with a gun. They have a pretty good track record of not immediately gunning down anyone and everyone at every crime they respond to, but when it's on campus suddenly they're incapable of doing anything but lighting up anyone they see? Come on.

Besides, when the cops get there in two to however many minutes, either I'll be down or the shooter will be. My gun will either be already put up or it won't be my problem anymore.

Either way...strongly disagree.
MaxPower
#3 is a definite problem. For their own safety, dropping weapons when cops show up would be needed but in a school you have to worry about kids getting ahold of them.
Troy91
AG
When the police arrive, you can, um, reholster and comply with orders.

So, police told you that when they respond to an active shooter call that they turn it into a free fire zone. Good training.

When seconds count, police are minutes away.
45-70Ag
AG
Yeah they said if anyone has a firearm And there's a shooting, they're killing them. Once they said that, that discussion was done.

From their perspective i get that, 2,700 on campus and differentiating between friend and foe wouldn't be easy.
aggiedent
AG
In fairness there is a bit of a difference between an LEO arriving at a typical scenario where a citizen has drawn a firearm for any number of reasons and that of a mass shooter in a school.

The latter is going to be a much more likely to be fluid situation, much more stressful for the officer, and far more likely to have active shooting taking place. You really can't compare the two.
CHOCOLATE CHIP TRIP
Irish_Man said:

Our sheriffs dept, dps and local police said don't let your teachers carry for three reasons.

3). Police will kill everyone with a gun and won't ask questions whether you're a teacher or shooter.

Police are incompetent idiots and can't be trusted to handle anything the right way. Any kind of "warning" like that from a local police department should be ignored.
ThunderCougarFalconBird
AG
BrazosDog02 said:

Are they armed with LOLPOOR AR15 like in the sign?

Yall need to get those folks hooked up with some tacticool stuff.

Teachers have the minimum amount of flare. They need more flare!

91AggieLawyer
AG
I'm, of course, for these types of signs/policies, but another idea I like is to put a police substation at as many schools as possible. It doesn't even have to be a working/manned office. Just a posted place with maybe a restroom for cops and an office for a school resource officer.
gig em 02
Irish_Man said:

You should move to a location with competent police then. This argument has no factual basis as evidenced by the lack of statistics supporting it. If your cops are the only ones in the world not competent enough then gtfo of that town.

The second reason is also ridiculous. The cops can be there and sit in the parking lot for 15+ minutes awaiting the plan just like Sandy Hook and Columbine and Virginia Tech and every other school shooting.
TheEyeGuy
Sponsor
AG
Irish_Man said:

Say... the on campus cops get hit first.... then how long will it take for the police to respond. Just because they CAN be there in two minutes, doesn't mean that they will. On top of that, when engaging an active threat, it's not like the cops are going to use native american invincible war paint to protect them and go in guns blazing, they will need to take their time to respond appropriately. Does no one any good to go in guns blazing and either shoot the wrong person or get shot themselves as they are responding.

So,with obviously going to take more than just two minutes to genuinely respond, how many others will be killed? Now, if some teachers were armed, how many might be saved in the meantime?

The reps for your local law enforcement are, to put it mildly, not telling the entire truth. To be a little more direct, their line of reasoning is likely to get someone killed.
Owner of Texian Firearms:
Dealer in Firearms, Optics, Night Vision and other shooting accessories.
US importer/distributor of Rudolph Optics
Supporting bad financial decisions since 2015
AgLA06
AG
So your cops stated that they plan to abandon the training they received and use every day in order to nail home a political opinion and not a single person pointed this out?

If that's how they roll, leadership's heads need to roll as well.
45-70Ag
AG
I have no idea what their training is
They just said whoever has a firearm will be killed in the event of a school shooting.

That was the end of that discussion.
CE Lounge Lizzard
AG
Irish_Man said:

That's so dumb it seems like only a Kardashian would say something so stupid.
ThunderCougarFalconBird
AG
Same police academy:

combat wombat™
AG
Irish_Man said:

They just said whoever has a firearm will be killed in the event of a school shooting.

And surprise that they were allowed to get away with that and not questioned regarding that policy.
AgLA06
AG
Irish_Man said:

Not a single person asked them about the 17-18 million people in the USA with handgun licenses that interact with daily and supposedly don't kill on sight? Hell, you don't even need a license in Texas for your home or vehicle. Are they just gunning down everyone they pull over with a gun in your town?

And everyone just went " Oh, that makes sense" and went home?!?

45-70Ag
AG
No one is allowed to carry on campus
I have a chl but I don't want to lose my job or be arrested for carrying there.

I think 25% out of the one thousand plus ISD's in Texas are either in the process or have completed the process of having some teachers carry. We obviously aren't one of them.
agfan2013
AG
Quote:

Quote:

Once they said that, that discussion was done.

Quote:

You've used this phrase a lot in this thread. Dont let it be the end of the debate. Cops arent the end all, be all that unfortunately a lot of them think they are. Keep the discussion rolling and be the person that helps implement better ideas and policies.

Many other posters have covered why the three points they gave are total BS, but the one that irks me the most is #3. Cops have the same duty to identify a target that they are about to pull the trigger on (and what is behind it that could potentially be hit as well) that all responsible gun owners do. They arent above the law and to shoot first and ask questions later by what is supposed to be a trained professional is just asinine.
Nealthedestroyer
AG
I'd take an armed and aggressive teacher/educator over a cop thats 3minutes away any day...
Vae Victis
RK
AG
2 minutes (which is probably wildly optimistic, anyway) is a really long time in that situation.
BenderRodriguez
AG
RK said:

2 minutes (which is probably wildly optimistic, anyway) is a really long time in that situation.

Yep. A guy named Ed Monk has done some research on active shooters. The average is one person shot every 10 seconds.

So saying "we can respond in 2 minutes" can also be translated to say "12 people are going to get shot before our absolute most optimistic response time".

Sounds less than ideal.

Here's an interview with Monk where he mentions that 10 second average and some other interesting stuff: https://armedcitizensnetwork.org/strategies-to-escape-an-active-shooter
AgLA06
AG
Irish_Man said:

No one is allowed to carry on campus
I have a chl but I don't want to lose my job or be arrested for carrying there.

I think 25% out of the one thousand plus ISD's in Texas are either in the process or have completed the process of having some teachers carry. We obviously aren't one of them.

You're missing the point. An entire room of supposed college educated individuals didn't have the rationale to understand that statement was complete BS nor questioned then about it. That's the point. Nothing about your story from the police statement to the complete lack of response makes any sense.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.