Outdoors
Sponsored by

Hunter killed - Mistaken for deer

6,089 Views | 33 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Burnsey
TailG8TR
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Bad news all around. Group decides to hunt an area together. Later mistaken for deer and shot.

Shooter helps carry out buddy to get cared for , but he dies anyway. In Georgia.

Oh....and wait.....it is only bow season !

Mistaken for Deer
SanAntoneAg
AG
Very sad and so very avoidable.

Shooting at movement in the brush. I've never understood how people can be mistaken for deer.
Gig 'em! '90
TAMUallen
AG
Article states he was mistaken for a "dear".

alvtimes
gunshot during bow season???? oooops!!!!
FirefightAg
AG
They were hunting exotics, didn't you see the picture used.
EMY92
AG
I may need to rethink my deer hunting camouflage.

Cassius
I've never understood how that can happen.
Waltonloads08
AG
"Poacher shoots another poacher in Georgia"

Alternate headline
agsalaska
AG
Cassius said:

Me neither. I can understand and imagine pretty easily how someone could be accidently shot. That's just part of humans owning guns. But mistaken for a deer? That just doesnt make any sense.
The trouble with quotes on the internet is that you never know if they are genuine. -- Abraham Lincoln.

Elko is a loser and we will be buying him out for some obscene amount of money in two years. - Agsalaska

trouble
AG
Oh please, he was probably screwing the shooter's sister.
agsalaska
AG
Or his wife. Either would make a lot more sense.
The trouble with quotes on the internet is that you never know if they are genuine. -- Abraham Lincoln.

Elko is a loser and we will be buying him out for some obscene amount of money in two years. - Agsalaska

trouble
AG
It's Georgia. She could be both.
Cancelled
AG
My dad's good friend killed his own son hunting in Georgia. It's so different than Texas stand hunting senderos.
Alta
AG
There is no type of hunting where shooting at something you can't identify is acceptable.
elfurioso92
AG
Are these guys just blasting away anytime they sense motion? I just don't get it.
BrazosDog02
AG
Alvarado Times said:

gunshot during bow season???? oooops!!!!

Oh man....he killed his friend AND he's going to get a fine for poaching. The fact that He shot his friend is not all that surprising when presented with the fact that he was rifle hunting during bow season.
Fairview
AG
Happens more than you'd think...

JYDog90
AG
Article says he may have survived if they hadn't field dressed him.
The Fife
The shooter's identity revealed

MouthBQ98
AG
No different than hunting east Texas.

Shots are short, even for rifles, unless you're hunting some sort of road or easement that was cleared in the past.

Brush simply means you have to be patient and identify your target.

No ethical hunter would possibly do this, because an ethical Hunter is trying to get proper shot placement, which means you can clearly see a significant portion of the target to identify the proper aim point.

TailG8TR
AG
Updated with info that shows shooter to be a 32 year old and victim to be only 17. Sad deal.

Additional info
Stasco
AG
Alta said:

There is no type of hunting where shooting at something you can't identify is acceptable.

This times eleventy million. Queso's Dad's good friend killed his own son because he was unforgivably reckless.

Me: "Not sure what kind of spread that buck has. Better wait a bit before I shoot."

This guy: "Is that thing standing on two legs or four? Can't really tell. F*** it, it's getting dark, let's light that thing up."
MouthBQ98
AG
And in Texas: do his ears look like they reach the inside edge of his antlers? How many points on each side?

You have to be super sure of your target for so many reasons. It should never happen.
Burnsey
AG
Poster here on TA was mistaken for a deer and shot in the gut. He survived but barely. Somebody here knows who I'm talking about.
45-70Ag
AG
Burnsey said:

Poster here on TA was mistaken for a deer and shot in the gut. He survived but barely. Somebody here knows who I'm talking about.
Ol Jock 99
AG
Cassius said:

Considering they were already hunting illegally, it isn't a stretch to assume they were drinking too.
montanagriz
S
queso1 said:

My dad's good friend killed his own son hunting in Georgia. It's so different than Texas stand hunting senderos.

Like hunting east texas....no excuse
ATX_AG_08
AG
I remember this. With a .30-06 if I remember correctly.
agsalaska
AG
There is a difference between accidentally shooting someone and purposely shooting someone mistaken for a deer. Accidents happen, and they could happen to any of us. Of course best practices can significantly reduce the risk but it will never be eliminated.

Mistaking someone for an animal should be 100% eliminated. There is just no excuse for that.

In fact, it is so outrageous, I tend to agree with trouble. If I was a local cop I would have some questions.

Charismatic Megafauna
AG
I've never hunted in GA but in MS if you are hunting private property you can use a firearm during "archery season" Seems nuts but I called the MDWFP to confirm. So they may have been legal in that respect.
JSKolache
AG
Thanks for the elk photo, MSN
Alta
AG
What part of MS is that? I only deer hunt in MS and that is definitely not the case during Archery season (it is the case during primitive weapon season though) at my hunting club.
AgEng06
AG
JSKolache said:

Thanks for the elk photo, MSN

That's not even an elk. It some form of stag.
Charismatic Megafauna
AG
My mistake. I hunt sw zone, apparently i never hunt it during archery season, but i often hunt it during primitive weapon season. With a 30-30
Burnsey
AG
ATX_AG_08 said:

I remember this. With a .30-06 if I remember correctly.

Yep. He posted pictures of his stomach. He had to have rehab. It was a kid, 16-18 years old that shot him.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.