Outdoors
Sponsored by

Selected for 2 USFS public deer hunts - what to do?

2,917 Views | 7 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by K_P
K_P
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
So I got very lucky, and with only 2 priority points got picked for two different USFS General Deer public hunts this year. At $3/ticket I put in for basically everything, and somehow I got two.

I got these two hunts. It appears I can accept both.
  • Trinity River NWR - Boar's Den: 11/16/2019-11/24/2019 (2nd of 2 hunt periods)
  • Trinity River NWR - McGuire: 11/2/2019-11/10/2019 (1st of 2 hunt periods)

I'm faced with a choice:
  • Be ostensibly less selfish and only accept 1 hunt. Take a couple days of vacation plus both weekends to hunt it.
  • Accept both hunts and hunt weekends plus a couple vacation days. Probably buys me another 2 days of hunting vs option A.
Thoughts on what to do? I'm leaning towards only accepting one.

Has anyone hunted these areas? I plan to visit each refuge, make phone calls to GW, USFS officers, etc to ask the question of which is better, but thought I would also ask here.
ursusguy
AG
Make sure you call the TPWD county biologist too. This year the USFWS sorta pulled one on TPWD. On fairly short notice (how I was told, so take with a grain of salt), the USFWS turned management of state wildlife resources back to the associated state agency, but required the supporting documentation. IE you manage the deer, but we are going to require the standard surveys. Fine, but that meant TPWD staff had to scramble to get those done.
Charismatic Megafauna
AG
just based on the numbers, they drew less hunts for the Mcguire unit (10 vs 36), probably a better chance of getting good intel from the guys running the hunt. Earlier hunt gets you less pressured animals but later hunt gets you a better chance of catching some of the rut. I'd probably hunt the first weekend plus a monday or mon/tues of each hunt. After calling the hunt manager and seeing if they'd be okay with that of course
K_P
AG
Y'all would be okay doing both and "taking somebody else's spot" ?

I just learned that I missed the draw for the USFS doe tag so doing both is sounding more appealing. I've seen several does in the NF but haven't seen any bucks at my spot this year.
K_P
AG
Thanks. I will call him/her. Do you know if there is any historic hunter success or post-hunt hunter survey data available? I haven't found any.
Charismatic Megafauna
AG
Sorry for the delay. I personally would go ahead and do both if I thought I had the time to put a decent effort toward both. My understanding of these hunts is that they are for management, pr, and revenue, so if you show up and shoot any does you see (not sit there and hold out for a muy grande) that's more important. It's not like it's Chap or something.
I have found the stats you are looking for before, but I don't know offhand where to find them. But they are out there (as long as this isn't the first time doing that particular hunt)
K_P
AG
Turns out I can only do one of the hunts. I noticed this in a press release from USFWS. I spoke with the manager of the refuge for almost an hour.

TLDR - I wasn't supposed to be selected for both but this is the first year TPWD handled the draw. He was just planning to choose for me since he noticed that issue with my case. He really wouldn't offer any firm advice on what to choose, but answered all my questions and was really nice. Said he'd Been with FWS for 40 years and this was his last year. Said he wanted me to get out there and decide for myself though.

Anyway- I now have to decide between them. So first week on a smaller piece of land or second week on a bigger piece. I can see many pros and cons but I'm thinking I will choose to be out opening week.

Going to get out there in person this weekend

I called/left msgs with a few folks from TPWD to no answers.
SanAntoneAg
AG
I was going to suggest the green screen's public hunt board but looks like you've already been there.

https://discussions.texasbowhunter.com/forums/showthread.php?t=743470
Gig 'em! '90
K_P
AG
Hadn't seen that thread yet. Thanks.

This will be my first time hunting in an area with plenty of water. I'm thinking my normal MO of setting up over water wont work in a swamp!
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.