Outdoors
Sponsored by

Texas Hounds Hunt Poachers in Africa

4,292 Views | 19 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Charismatic Megafauna
rootube
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Just read this article and thought I would share. Interesting story. It's amazing that you can take a trained dog and drop him in the middle of Africa and they go right to work.

https://www.nationalgeographic.com/animals/2019/09/texan-hounds-fight-rhino-poaching/
Gus Fring
Player To Be Named Later
highvelocity
AG
thats pretty awesome. would really enjoy watching them work.

does anyone know the penalties for being caught poaching in Africa? id think a firing squad would not be too far out of the realm of possibility?
Owner of Texas Strap Company use code TEXAGS for 15% off
www.txstrapco.com

Sales Director for BCA Firearms
www.bcafirearmstx.com
ironmanag
AG
Great read. Thanks
According to the Biden White House, what Joe Biden says does not represent the official position of the Biden administration.
TacosaurusRex
highvelocity said:

thats pretty awesome. would really enjoy watching them work.

does anyone know the penalties for being caught poaching in Africa? id think a firing squad would not be too far out of the realm of possibility?

I sure hope firing squad would not be too far out there. There are certain things in this world that really get under my skin, poaching is one of them.

Am I the only one disappointed in the South Africans for thinking the dogs were too aggressive? Outside of completely mauling the a**holes to death, I would want the dogs to bite while chasing.
O.G.
I've hunted with those guys. They have more dogs than Quaker has oats. They have dogs to
catch everything on 4 legs and Joe trains them to catch the 2 legged variety too.
reddog90
Dirty-8-thirty Ag
AG
The Brahman family is an interesting bunch. More money than the pope. My buddy just bought some hound pups from Joe, they weren't cheap.
AnScAggie
FullDraw
AG
I'd they'd be missing a few limbs by the time the horses got to them
Allen76
AG
What an excellent article. Thanks for posting.
CanyonAg77
AG
Very cool.

My granddad had coonhounds, we kids loved going out to the pens and petting twenty dogs through the fence. Unfortunately, I never got to see him run them. But he had different trophies like "first over the log" and such.

Dad said they would release the dogs, then stand around the campfire, listening to them run. Guys would know their hound by its bay. "Old Blue's got the scent!" and such.

I always figured it was an excuse to get out of the house and drink beer.
CE Lounge Lizzard
AG
CanyonAg77 said:

Very cool.

My granddad had coonhounds, we kids loved going out to the pens and petting twenty dogs through the fence. Unfortunately, I never got to see him run them. But he had different trophies like "first over the log" and such.

Dad said they would release the dogs, then stand around the campfire, listening to them run. Guys would know their hound by its bay. "Old Blue's got the scent!" and such.

I always figured it was an excuse to get out of the house and drink beer.
Obligatory

RCR06
AG
I listen to a podcast called "the hunting dog podcast". He interviewed Joe Braman(not sure of spelling) last year. The episode is called "Joe Braman, Houndsman and more". Probably some similar information to the article, but it was a good episode.
texag_89
Story does not quite nail it....

These hounds are more bloodhounds with the ability to run and pack (as opposed to bloodhounds which walk/plod via a single dog when on a scent) than they are "coon-hounds" .... They are, at there base, cold-nose hounds that have been bred as man-hunters.

My hound buddies who run the hunting circuit (vast majority hot-nosed Walkers with a very few red bones and blueticks sprinkled in) would laugh at calling a B&T a coonhound, BUT they are great at packing for big cats, for example out west, where days of running and packing are needed. Or, like the Roberson's of Burnam Bros down in Menard do with Bobcats where they run packs of blueticks out in front of pickups as they drive ranch roads until they stake on a scent, but those ain't coondogs, per say.

Probably semantics I know, but there is a difference nonetheless.

Sounds like the lawman from S. Texas has figured out the right mix that has produced a packing, running version of a bloodhound.

Interesting for sure.....

_89
a.froman
AG
Yep, Joe is from the O'Connor lineage in South Texas. Pretty much all the land east of 77 from the San Antonio River to Refugio is theirs. Boatloads of old oil money.

What cracks me up is that the Bramans have a new hobby about every 5-10 years. They have also started a winery, Joe has gone to culinary school. They got every toy you can imagine. Used to have their own pilots in the 80's and 90's. Also once bought George Strait's old tour bus to mess around in.

Sounds like this venture is very worth wild though. Good for him.
AggieArcher17
AG
They have a hunting show as well! Or Dan and Stephanie do anyways.
JSKolache
AG
a.froman said:

Yep, Joe is from the O'Connor lineage in South Texas. Pretty much all the land east of 77 from the San Antonio River to Refugio is theirs. Boatloads of old oil money.

What cracks me up is that the Bramans have a new hobby about every 5-10 years. They have also started a winery, Joe has gone to culinary school. They got every toy you can imagine. Used to have their own pilots in the 80's and 90's. Also once bought George Strait's old tour bus to mess around in.

Sounds like this venture is very worth wild though. Good for him.
I drink lots of their wine in Ft Bend Cty. So who's up for some poacher hunting? I hate the batards and the asian smugglers who pay them
citizenkane06
AG
I do as well, and they've opened a brewery now called Running Walker with a treeing Walker coonhound as the logo. I'll have to ask about the real dogs next time!
Charismatic Megafauna
AG
Have been on a few deer and a few predator hunts with dogs (beagles for deer, walkers for fox/bobcats), if you ever get a chance I highly recommend it. Takes a lot of land and a bunch of good dogs and dudes who know what they're doing, but it is so much fun. Lots of action. These guys did the style where they'd follow a couple dogs down a road until they picked up on something, then drop a couple to start chasing then sit and listen which way they are heading, if they jump something, etc, then try and head them off at another road and see/shoot the deer or drop a couple fresh dogs if it's a deer you want to shoot. Really fun listening to them and thinking about what the terrain is like to try and guess where the deer will go and get there first.
Never hunted pigs with dogs, I hear that's a good time too.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.