Outdoors
Sponsored by

5th Wheel Hitch - B&W Companion

5,713 Views | 16 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by agcrock2005
agcrock2005
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I've seen several used ones that are much cheaper than brand new, but I was wondering if they're all the same or if they have different models for different truck manufacturers. For example, I see some advertised on Craigslist specifically for Ford but when I've gone to their website it appears there's only one B&W Companion. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you!
Todd 02
AG
I believe the B&W Companion is just the fifth wheel insert. That actual B&W hitch is vehicle specific.

In this image (if it works), the top component is the Companion. The bottom component is the vehicle specific hitch.
Creek06
AG
I have the companion slider for my ram and it works like a champ. It is heavy to get in and out by yourself but two people it isn't an issue.

They are solid made for sure and I would rather have the piece of mind that a B&W is back there than a cheap knock off.
agcrock2005
AG
Thanks. I got the turnoverball installed yesterday so I'm referring to the top part in your picture. I believe they are all the same now that I've installed that but wanted to confirm.
ElJefe94
AG
Long time lurker here. First post - hope it helps.

They don't make different models for different truck manufacturers, but they did change up the design after truck manufacturers started offering proprietary hitch platforms.

The older one (RVK3000) had flat base plates that rest on the truck bed. The newer one (RVK3500) comes with plastic foot pads that bolt through slotted holes in the base plates to line up with the ribs in the truck bed. The newer one will work with any truck. If your truck is new enough that the bed has flat areas for the manufacturer's hitch platform, you can still use an RVK3000 but you will need specific foot pads to "fill-in" the flat spots.

B&W will send you the foot pads for free - just call customer service and tell them the hitch model and truck model. I've had an RVK3000 for 12 years or so and had B&W send pads for new trucks twice. The pads for my 2012 Ford were hard plastic with adhesive strips. The pads for my 2018 Ram are full length, full width powder-coated steel (and really heavy).

If I was buying, I'd get the RVK3500 unless the price of an RVK3000 was substantially less.

agcrock2005
AG
Thank you.
Aggie_3
I know it's not what you asked about but I've had the Andersen Ultimate hitch for my 42 foot 5th wheel the last 2 years and absolutely love it compared to a traditional 5th wheel hitch
Newoldarmy
AG
I used the companion on my F350 pulling a 46' Cyclone for several years. Works great and shouldn't wear out or anything. I'd buy one used if it looked like it was in good shape.
milkman00
AG
OP- They have hitches that fit into the puck systems of the different manufacturers. Then they have the 3000/3500 models that use their traditional base plate.

Are you looking for a slider or regular companion?
agcrock2005
AG
Quote:

I'd buy one used if it looked like it was in good shape.
My worry is I know nothing about them. It's a pretty important piece of the puzzle so I'd hate to chance it. I've definitely been eyeing the used ones though.
Quote:

Not really sure yet. I was thinking I would pick an RV first and then make that decision. We're going to the Dallas RV show in a month and going to buy very soon after that. I'd hate to spend the extra money if I don't really need it.
dr_boogs
AG
With a post like that, you need to lurk less and post more! Great info.
ElJefe94
AG
Milkman is correct. They do sell them for specific trucks if you have the factory pucks.

In my opinion, slider vs. fixed has more to do with long bed vs. short bed than it does what RV you're pulling. If you have a long bed, you don't need a slider. If you have a short bed you may need one depending on the shape of your 5th wheel's front cap - some are sculpted to allow for tighter turns. If you get one with a "flat front", you may need a slider.
I'm on the west side of DFW and I pretty much keep the hitch in all the time. Let me know if you would like to take a look.
milkman00
AG
B&W has a good video on their website regarding maintenance. You can tell how much use they had via the amount of paint rubbed off.

I wish their website was more clear regarding the use of them with rubber bed mats.

It's great to know they will give you parts as needed when trucks change. I bought one used off Craigslist but didn't end up needing to use it yet.

I wonder if I can set it on top of a rubber bed mat or if I need to remove the bed mat? They say cut a whole in plastic bed liners, but didn't mention rubber.

I agree with the new poster above that bed length is the primary driver whether you need a slider. I have a taller tool box on a long bed truck and never have hooked it up to know whether it will clear it or not.

If you are in central Texas I can let you try out a non-slider. Don't take any chances. I've seen too many pics of rear windows knocked out on short bed trucks.
agcrock2005
AG
Quote:

Alright, picked an RV and I'm getting the slider installed tomorrow because eventually I would jack knife the damn thing without one. Really though I just don't want to have to worry about it. Thanks for the input everyone.
Todd 02
AG
agcrock2005 said:

Quote:

Alright, picked an RV and I'm getting the slider installed tomorrow because eventually I would jack knife the damn thing without one. Really though I just don't want to have to worry about it. Thanks for the input everyone.
What'd'ya get?!?!
agcrock2005
AG
Quote:

What'd'ya get?!?!
Room to put kids in if it's raining and I need quiet time...
Todd 02
AG
agcrock2005
AG
Thanks. I stole the thing. Long story that I'll report back later on. The gist of it is I got a brand new one that's never been used for $40K which is less than invoice.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.