Outdoors
Sponsored by

Elk crossing sign?

7,736 Views | 20 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by loveaTm
The Fall Guy
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
In Austin on the new toll road connecting MOPAC to FM 1626 to Hays County, there is a deer crossing sign going north bound, but southbound there is an elk crossing sign. Either there are elk in Travis County or they ran out of deer crossing signs

?c=2&imbypass=on
ATX_AG_08
AG
There are some elk and other exotics in the area. Here is a video a guy posted on a neighborhood page. I believe it's public.

Well that didn't work. Here's a screenshot. There were 5 total I believe.

The Fall Guy
AG
Well ill be damned.

Yea someone in my neighborhood said it had to be posted because of exotics around there.
SteveBott
AG
Man hitting a deer is bad but could you imagine the carnage of hitting one in a normal car? At 75 MPH!

If in my Accord it' coming right into and through my windshield
TXAGFAN
AG
SteveBott said:

Man hitting a deer is bad but could you imagine the carnage of hitting one in a normal car? At 75 MPH!

I worry the most about hitting a pig.
SteveBott
AG
It's all bad but pigs are low to the ground. Tear up your car, dad hit one in Arkansas of all places, and extensive damage waist high and below
TXAGFAN
AG
SteveBott said:

It's all bad but pigs are low to the ground. Tear up your car, dad hit one in Arkansas of all places, and extensive damage waist high and below
I worry about hitting one on my motorcycle I guess to be clear. A deer will move/twist with the impact, but a pig...well it would be like hitting a boulder.
SteveBott
AG
Ahh totally changes the metrics.
Furlock Bones
AG
i think we might be neighbors.
Furlock Bones
AG
oh and that new toll road has ****ed up my commute.
Apache
AG
I've never seen the elk, but pics pop up frequently on the neighborhood FB page. (Circle C guy myself)
Comments on such topics (and wildlife in general) are hilarious. Shocking how little people know.
peachbasket
What has happened to the small herd that used to roam south of College Station? I assume city expansion in that direction has not been good for them.
JYDog90
AG
Not really related but there used to be a herd of exotics just north of Brenham heading toward Caldwell. I miss seeing those guys at the feeder.
rather be fishing
AG
5 or 6 years ago there was a car that hit a deer on 317 in Belton/Temple, threw the deer up in the air and it went through the windshield of a car going to opposite direction, killing the driver. That's the kind of stuff that freaks me out the most.
(removed:10EA24-2)
Some City folk prob don't know the difference
TwoMarksHand
AG
Beachbabe19 said:

Some Most City folk prob don't know the difference
FIFY
SunrayAg
AG
SteveBott said:

A guy I used to work with hit a horse at full speed. Cut the legs out from under it and went right through the windshield on top of him. He survived, but his face looked like a jigsaw puzzle when they got him put back together.
SteveBott
AG
Not sure this is true but somewhere I read moose is the most dangerous wild animal in the New England states. It's not human interaction although that is possible it's vehicle accidents. Just like the horse example they do the same thing in coming into the windshield
Dirty-8-thirty Ag
AG
Me and a friend were seniors in HS and took a "college day" to go to CS and party with some older friends. On 304 between I-10 and Bastrop I came over that hill in String Prairie with the blinking light and curve right off the backside of it, the oncoming vehicle never turned their brights off, and blinded me.

Next thing I know there is a bull, a heifer and a cow nose to tail across 304, I centered up on the smallest one (the heifer) & hit it going 75. She ended up on the hood of my pickup and we didn't see another car for 3 hours. Finally got a car to stop and call DPS. Trooper showed up 2 hours later and hauled us to Bastrop.

Hitting something that big is fkn wild.
ATX_AG_08
AG
I'm Shady Hollow born and raised. Now living in Garlic Creek.
loveaTm
AG
So currently we are driving home from Austin to SA. My husband just said "what the heck? I swear I just saw an elk crossing sign." Then he asks me to google if there's such a sign on 45. This is the first link Google gave. Lol. Thanks for clearing this up.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.