Outdoors
Sponsored by

Broadcast spreader settings

1,064 Views | 2 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by AGGIE WH08P
zag213004
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
A while ago I bought a Scott's mini edgeguard in my first house and used it off and on with the Scott's products.

As I have moved a couple of times to different climates and become more involved in the lawn Care/pest control process I am finding many of the granules products I select (both for lawn products and pest products) that there is zero guidance on the settings for my model of broadcast spreader (even though it is most common at big box stores like home Depot ). My questions are twofold.

is there a way to easily convert the settings on my broadcast spreader to fit what the product calls for the lawn to receive?

With my spreader beginning to fail is there a broadcast spreader that you recommend that is referred to in many of the bags of granular lawn and pest product that basically removes the conversion requirement?

$3 Sack of Groceries
AG
A) I've had luck with this issue just using google. Often times the manufacturer themselves will have that info on an FAQ section on their page.
B) Yes there are plenty of ways to calibrate your spreader. It takes a bit of work/effort but it's the best way to get a 'true' idea of how much NPK you're putting down.
https://extension.psu.edu/calibrating-your-fertilizer-spreader
C) You can buy $300-$1200 spreaders that the pros use but I wouldn't recommend it for a guy that's only going to use his spreader 2 or 3 times a year. Much cheaper to just buy another Scott's spreader and take care of it with maintenance and get the most you can out of it.
jtmoney03
AG
I literally did this just about an hour ago lol. I get commercial grade Lesco Pre emergent and Lesco 28-3-10 fertilizer at Site One. I refuse to pay $400+ for Lesco's spreader even though I have a little over 1/3 of an acre. So, I got the Scott's Edgeguard DLX at Home Depot before spring pre emergent treatment.

I googled Lesco to Scott's conversion and got this link...https://www.lesco.com/blog/post/2018-05-24/determining-spreader-settings

I've just followed this conversion for both treatments and it seems to give good coverage and I run out at exactly the time I would expect. Lesco spreader calls for a 15 on theirs @ 5.46 lb/1000sqft, per the bag. This converts to a 6 on the Scott's spreader.

If you aren't using Lesco, just try googling your brand fertilizer to Scott's model of your spreader and you should get a similar table to the one in the link above.
AGGIE WH08P
AG
Ya I've struggled with this myself. What I have done is measure out my entire yard in sq/ft. I separate my front/back yards. I weight out exactly how many #s of Lesco pre emerge I need for my front yard and only put that in the spreader and set it to a lower setting. I intentionally set it on a low number so I can make 2 passes on my yard. One pass is East/west and the other is north/south. Just to make sure I get good coverage. I'm OCD like that
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.