Outdoors
Sponsored by

F 150 , 3 Liter Diesel

5,239 Views | 34 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by NW80
NW80
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Thoughts?
I've put 82k miles on a Ram 1500 Eco diesel and love it!
But, up til then I was a Ford guy.
Rexter
I can give some thoughts a week from today. Gonna pull a 16ft lowboy with 3k lbs of motorcycles to Greenville SC next Saturday.
DallasAggies01
AG
If you love the Ram why consider the Ford? The new Rams technology and fit and finish beat the fords. At least According to car and driver and others.
C4D
AG
DallasAggies01 said:

The new Rams technology and fit and finish beat the fords.

That would be a first
gkaggie08
AG
Not that anecdotal evidence means anything, but my BIL works for a large dodge dealer in SA. He rags me about the aluminum body on my powerstroke, but he also told me the dodge eco diesel is a 100-150k motor. I don't know anybody with one so I can't back that up.

However, my brother's boss has the new powerstroke half ton and absolutely loves it. Again, don't know if he's really put it to the test towing other than a bass boat.

I'm a ford guy, so dodge sucks and the new diesel f150 is the greatest creation in half ton pickups to date
BCStalk
I wish they offered it in lower trim levels. I work my trucks to death and can't justify tearing up a lariat. Also a little above my price range. I did test drive one and was very satisfied with it but $50k+ isn't for me.
schmellba99
AG
C4D said:

DallasAggies01 said:

The new Rams technology and fit and finish beat the fords.

That would be a first

Not really
JosephMarcus
DallasAggies01 said:

If you love the Ram why consider the Ford? The new Rams technology and fit and finish beat the fords. At least According to car and driver and others.
their fit and finish isn't even close to a Ford and Ram's are the only trucks that break down more than Fords.
GSS
Dodge dropped their diesel engine from their 1/2 lineup last year...to return in 2019? "New and improved?"
NRA Life
TSRA Life
GSS
The Ford-Dodge-Chevy (oh yeah, and Toyota..) debate will never end...just please don't use "Car and Driver" as any sort of a credible source of info. I think they led the way on selling out to whatever company spent the most advertising $$$ in their rag
NRA Life
TSRA Life
ttha_aggie_09
AG
I haven't heard anything but theirs a poster on the Auto board that should be able to provide some good insight.

The motor is based on their European diesel and is apparently tried and true... hard to say for sure, but I think Ford has learned their mistakes from the 6.0/6.4 diesels. All of their new motors (I don't know enough about the 2.7 boost) are apparently pretty good. No complaints with my 3.5 boost!
45-70Ag
AG
Just bought a 2019 Ram 1500 Classic
Nothing fancy, but i like it.
schmellba99
AG
JosephMarcus said:

DallasAggies01 said:

their fit and finish isn't even close to a Ford and Ram's are the only trucks that break down more than Fords.
How much time do you have in a Ram versus a Ford? Or are you a Ford homer or are just repeating what you've heard and read on the internet?
jpb1999
AG
schmellba99 said:

JosephMarcus said:

DallasAggies01 said:

How much time do you have in a Ram versus a Ford? Or are you a Ford homer or are just repeating what you've heard and read on the internet?

Spent plenty of time in both, and Dodge just sucks. But, to each their own...

Spane Bohem

schmellba99
AG
Okey dokey then. Newer Dodges are far from suck, and have a lot less plastic than the newer Fords.

Both are good vehicles.
AgsMnn
AG
My FIL will look and talk about getting a new Chevy or Ford diesel, but always goes to the dang Dodge because they are always cheaper.
agnerd
AG
GSS said:

The Ford-Dodge-Chevy (oh yeah, and Toyota..) debate will never end...just please don't use "Car and Driver" as any sort of a credible source of info. I think they led the way on selling out to whatever company spent the most advertising $$$ in their rag
Car and Driver is my favorite source. I appreciate that they will absolutely crucify a terrible car. I also like that they will list all their criteria for evaluating a vehicle and then rank each section. I can go through and cross out the stuff I don't care about and generate my own ranking. They give too much consideration for looks and acceleration for me, so I just ignore that and prioritize their handling and braking data. If there's a better source that regularly tests all the actual vehicles side-by-side, I'd like to know what it is.
fcag11
I made the switch from a 3/4 ton to a 1/2 ton power stroke back in January. I'd be happy to answer any questions.
Signel
AG
I'd put the platinum trim up against Ram's stuff any day. That being said, the price of Fords are just too damn high for what you get.
JosephMarcus
schmellba99 said:

JosephMarcus said:

DallasAggies01 said:

I haven't spent any time at all reading stuff on the internet about them. to be fair, they are both a POS - I'm just saying the Ford is a nicer POS than the Dodge.
JosephMarcus
Signel said:

I'd put the platinum trim up against Ram's stuff any day. That being said, the price of Fords are just too damn high for what you get.
crazy thing is, as high as the Ford prices are going - there seems to be more and more of them on the road and increasing by the day. can't imagine Ford is going to slow down on price increases any time soon. I wonder what the actual sales volume looks like and if it really is increasing as fast as it appears.
Newoldarmy
AG
What do you pull with it?

Fuel economy with and without load?
NW80
AG
Boats
WP69
AG
If he wants a 1/2 ton diesel then it's a Ford. Ram pulled the Eco Diesel off the market last year or year before and haven't announced when they will release a 1/2 ton diesel. GM is beginning to take orders on their 3.0, but I haven't seen anything on actual delivery dates. Ford has the only 3.0 diesel in the game right now.
schmellba99
AG
WP69 said:

If he wants a 1/2 ton diesel then it's a Ford. Ram pulled the Eco Diesel off the market last year or year before and haven't announced when they will release a 1/2 ton diesel. GM is beginning to take orders on their 3.0, but I haven't seen anything on actual delivery dates. Ford has the only 3.0 diesel in the game right now.

Nissan has the half,ton with the Cummins.
WP69
AG
schmellba99 said:

WP69 said:

True, but no one was bringing that one up.
AgsMnn
AG
Not a half ton, but doesn't GM have the Colorado with the diesel?
schmellba99
AG
WP69 said:

schmellba99 said:

WP69 said:

True, but no one was bringing that one up.
I was simply responding to the comment that if you want a 1/2 ton diesel, it's a Ford.

I wish the Nissan's weren't so butt ugly. I looked at them when I was in the market a few years back - couldn't get over what I think is just a horribly ugly vehicle with an interior that does nothing for me. Or it was back in 2016-2017ish anyway.
Rexter
My take on the trip:

The truck is a Limited. Dang nice ride!

We scaled about 5K trailer weight and about 2K payload including passengers and cargo.

The truck handled it flawlessly. It pulled without seeming to be working hard at all. Average mpg in the flatlands was 13.2. Once we got into the hills around Birmingham and further north, it was 12.7. It used 1/2 tank of DEF.
The front didn't feel light on it's feet. Braking was fine...even in thick traffic where sudden braking did heat up the trailer brakes and bit and pushed out some fluid from the surge unit.
The 10 speed kept it in a good spot all the time. Tow/haul wasn't necessary.
It sounds like a gasser at highway speed. All you hear is intake noise.
This thing seems to be perfectly fine for towing. Maybe pushing the GVWR limit would be different.

It wasn't as fun as driving the tuned 6.4 I had, but if I needed another truck, I'd buy one.

NW80
AG
Did it!
See above thread "I pulled the trigger."
Secolobo
AG
gkaggie08 said:

Not that anecdotal evidence means anything, but my BIL works for a large dodge dealer in SA. He rags me about the aluminum body on my powerstroke, but he also told me the dodge eco diesel is a 100-150k motor.
Don't know how it was meant, but that engine better just be getting broke in at that mileage...

GM tried the diesel in a 1/2 ton in the 80's. It sucked and the frame and body couldn't handle it.
Can I go to sleep Looch?
NW80
AG
So far- so good!
Got 24.7 mpg on a round trip to Houston and back. Generally traveling 70 - 80 mph.
RCR06
AG
I'm sure they're fine and hopefully the above poster was right that it's a proven engine in Europe. Made me nervous because it's been out for such a small amount of time.
Newoldarmy
AG
Nice.

Have you pulled anything with it yet?
91AggieLawyer
AG
Quote:

GM tried the diesel in a 1/2 ton in the 80's. It sucked and the frame and body couldn't handle it.

The bigger ones (6.2 and bigger) were OK but the 350 diesel (limited truck applications as well as other cars) was a POS and one of the biggest failures in GM history. I've told this story before but when I was selling cars in 1987, a guy came in with an 83 or 84 Cutlass with the 350D in it. It was in pristine condition but the used car manager appraised it at $600! That would have been worth 5 grand with a mediocre V6 engine in it. That guy was not happy to say the least.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.