Outdoors
Sponsored by

Cordoba Argentina dove hunt

5,109 Views | 30 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by oldag941
Wodanaz
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Bought a 5 day all inclusive hunt with Hugo Pascuettin Wingshooting Adventures tonight at the West Houston CCA banquet. Who's been, and other than millions of dove, what can I expect? The itinerary says the only thing I'm on the hook for after air travel is guide & bird boy tips. What's the going rate for gratuity to these parties? I'm really excited to scratch this bucket list item off and am looking for any and all stories from those who've been.
TheEyeGuy
Sponsor
AG
VoreMoar12 said:

Bought a 5 day all inclusive hunt with Hugo Pascuettin Wingshooting Adventures tonight at the West Houston CCA banquet. Who's been, and other than millions of dove, what can I expect? The itinerary says the only thing I'm on the hook for after air travel is guide & bird boy tips. What's the going rate for gratuity to these parties? I'm really excited to scratch this bucket list item off and am looking for any and all stories from those who've been.
That... includes shells?
Owner of Texian Firearms:
Dealer in Firearms, Optics, Night Vision and other shooting accessories.
US importer/distributor of Rudolph Optics
Supporting bad financial decisions since 2015
zarbas77
AG
^^^^

This.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
PFG
AG
In
cgh1999
AG
Gun rentals and license included?
gonemaroon
AG
They nail you on gun rentals, shells, tips, and lord knows what else. They should include beer and wine.

I heard a rumor about the roost moving out of Cordoba this season, does anyone know anything?
TheClaw07
AG
Shells were the biggest bill on our trip 5 years ago. Everything was first class though and we are returning with a different outfitter this month!
HumbleAg04
AG
Heard flocks of brown breasted mattress thrashers frequently disrupt some of the hunts down there. Beware or prepare.
CSTXAg92
AG
When you plan your trip, be sure to include a couple days in Buenos Aires before or after you go to the lodge as a part of your itinerary. Buenos Aires is a great city to see, plus it will give you some time to pick up something nice for Momma and the kids. Having something for them when you return (besides pictures and stories of you living the high life checking off a bucket list item) goes a long way toward getting you to the next adventure w/o protest from her.

Congrats, and enjoy!
Throwout
AG
Here's typically what they hit you with (keep in mind, these are approx and may not apply to what you bought):

• Shells - $15/box
  • Tips - $100/day covers field staff, host and house staff
  • Hunting License -$65/day
  • Gun Entry - $150 (or you can rent for $60/day)
  • Field Fees -$150/day
  • Ground Transportation to/from airport - $1500 for a van for 4
There's also a variety of other a la carte items you can get: dorado fishing, duck hunting, pigeon hunting, perdiz hunting, laundry, massages, shopping trips, etc. It's as fun as you want to make it, but it can add up quick. But you're going to get some amazing meals and all the booze your liver can take. Have a blast!
Wodanaz
AG
This is what I was looking for. Thanks, Throwout!
oldag941
AG
I went on a hunt there in January. I think we paid $1200 a piece for the hunt. Airfare was around $1800 or so. Way high. Then the bill at the end of the trip was about $1300. Whole thing was around $5000. The way I look at it is that it's less than a nice guided elk hunt here in the states. Or even a trophy deer hunt in Texas. We had 2 full days of hunting and 2 half days. Tipped the bird boys about $100 and gave them some hats, pocket knives etc. Probably about $100 for house tips. Shells were about $15 a box. Gun rental was only $60 per day. We stayed an extra night in Cordoba. Hired a guide (everything on the economy was CHEAP due to the strength of the dollar) and he gave us a tour of town. Then we toured 3 wineries. Highly encourage adding a day or two to see the culture etc. Add ons: I paid for a massage one day. A cuban cigar one night. Bought some knives as souveniers for the kids. Everything they sale you at the lodge will be similar to US costs. You can get things real cheap on the economy. All food and booze was covered at the lodge.
Throwout
AG
You're welcome! You do know you're obligated now to give a full recap when the trip is over including pics. Hope you have a blast!
NW80
AG
pass
JSKolache
AG
You will spend 100s of dollars on shells, and bring home zero birds to eat. You will also have great fun and drink lots of wine.
strohag
AG
Am I the only one who has no desire to do an Argentina dove hunt? Seems like a ton of cash and travel time. Hope you have fun but even the guys I know who've gone said they wouldn't do it again unless it's on a vendors dime.
ttha_aggie_09
AG
strohag said:

Am I the only one who has no desire to do an Argentina dove hunt? Seems like a ton of cash and travel time. Hope you have fun but even the guys I know who've gone said they wouldn't do it again unless it's on a vendors dime.

Not saying you're the only one but I would absolutely go once. It is a bucket list hunt and everyone that I have personally talked to that has been has nothing but great things to say.
Wodanaz
AG
strohag said:

Yeah, it's a bucket list item to see millions of dove in one spot to make up for the countless days sitting on some pond dam taking pot shots at singles every hour or so. Luckily, I am that business owner who will be taking a few clients that've served me well over the years, and I'm proud to be in a position to do it. All feel free to shat on it if it makes you feel good, but, yeah I'm excited to do it.
MAROON
AG
strohag said:

It's a freaking blast. I've been four times. The shooting is fun, the guides are great, the food and wine is off the charts. I don't even shoot that much (relatively speaking - maybe 35-40 boxes a day).

Shooting games with your buddies and bird guides. You can't do that anywhere else. Plus you spend a couple of nights in BA and enjoy all there is to offer .
What do you boys want for breakfast BBQ ?.....OK Chili.
NW80
AG
strohag said:

Nope
I Drink Your Milkshake
AG
I'm conflicted. 1. I dislike long flights so would probably have to spring for first class which would add considerable cost to the trip. 2. I like to eat what I kill and don't generally get a lot of pleasure from killing only for sport. That's said I understand many will justify by saying they're a nuisance and the villagers eat them. To each their own.

I may do it once but wouldn't ever be an annual thing for me.
FSGuide
We thought about buying one of these hunts at the DU banquet auction the other day. I actually bid on it a couple times until my wife said "we have to pay for shells and we have to go in the next 12 months". Paying for shells wasn't a total deal breaker but we already have a 5 person safari coming up in the next year so I stopped bidding. I think it sold for $2100 for a 2 person trip.
PrestigeWW
AG
IThe eyeguy is the best poster on this board. I think that is something (along with ursus) is something you should take into consideration.

I've done the Argentina dove hunt 6 times and can tell you all of my experiences.

I always went to Los Chanares which is and has been the highest rent place as far as i know.

I've flown to BA and spent time there (including Blacks which is now shut down- good news for all of your wives), BA is fun but the steakhouses are US style expensive. No Crdoba prices there.

I've flown into Santiago, I personally preferred this city. It was a great couple of days and felt like a legit European city setting.

The last year we went we chose to drive from Santiago to Crdoba. Big mistake. The federales ****ed with us every chance they got and Mendoza was kind of a **** hole. I love me some Malbec but that city was worse than Crdoba.

Btw: your bill will astronomical if you aren't taking into account shells. That's where they make their money. They'll tell if they're being honest. So watch out for that. My suggestion, which I tell everyone is just enjoy yourself Doves are freaking everywhere have a cervesa and just chill and take in the atmosphere at moments. Bring a boom box an jam some music. There are too many birds down there to get worked about.

Also, we used to bring our guns down there and after a few years we stopped. Customs ****s with nonstop and the sheLols they provide you **** your guns up more than it's worth.
PrestigeWW
AG
PrestigeWW
AG
Btw with my reply all of the people are serious Aggies and all of those guns are owned and still collected by Aggies. Sorry to say half of them were ruined duringharvey
PrestigeWW
AG
I have to explain we shot only .410s. Those shells ****ed up the guns to such a serious point that they to be worked by Freer in North Houston.
PrestigeWW
AG
But I must say that 15 of those were beautiful awesome 410s and 28 gauge Citori's so thats what we lost after Harvey. Two of the 410s were on loan from beretta. Nuts what Harvey took from us. The warp in the stocks was beyond repair.
TheClaw07
AG
I would also tell you to load your own gun, let the bird boy have a shot or two every once in a while to keep it fun. If you let them load your gun for you the shells go much faster. I used an over/under and loaded only one shell at a time after the first day. Makes it easier to sit back and enjoy in my opinion.
MAROON
AG
other thoughts:

try to hunt with at least one other buddy and his field assistant. Much more fun to hunt with someone else. That will also result in betting games. For instance most doves hit over your next ten shots and also team events you and your assistant vs your buddy and his. The assistants love it and it just makes the day more fun in my opinion.

I don't get caught up in trying to shoot large numbers. I shoot a bit, drink a beer, shoot some more, smoke a cigar, shoot some more. I let my field assistant shoot a box now and then and spend the time saying "behind" when he misses ...payback!

get a shoulder pad and shooting gloves.

don't take your guns. their guns will be as good or better than yours (unless you don't like Beretta Silver pigeons). Plus you don't want the hassle of travelling with firearms and running thousands of rounds through your gun.

hope you get a clear night because the stars are amazing and you can find the southern cross.

What do you boys want for breakfast BBQ ?.....OK Chili.
playeroftheyear69
AG
oldag941- I enjoyed meeting you and your group at Posta Del Norte! We had an amazing time, although I feel like I will never enjoy bird hunting in Texas the way that I used to.

For those looking into Argentina bird hunting trips: If you want some great experiences in Argentina after your shoulder is worn out from all the shooting, check out Iguazu Falls and El Calafate. We did the falls and the glaciers at these sites for a few days each after we left Cordoba, and they were incredible.
playeroftheyear69
AG
... and Buenos Aires is an absolute ****hole
oldag941
AG
Glad to have met you all too. Sounds like you were treated well and to some good hunts. We were very impressed with the staff. And we liked the smaller lodge and rustic nature. You'll have to post some pics of your follow on trip. It sounds like it was amazing.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.