Outdoors
Sponsored by

Lake Conroe shad spawn

7,397 Views | 17 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by DUman08
DUman08
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Just an FYI anyone wanting to fill their freezers with fresh fish now is the time. The shad spawn is going on on Lake Conroe and the every species of fish is feeding on them. The bite is great from daylight to around 10am. If its cloudy the bite will last longer. The channel catfish have been hitting anything you put in front of them. I have been using slip cork set at 2 - 3ft rigged with split shot and circle hook. The bait of choice has been fresh shad and they can be caught by the bucket full right at daylight in less than 1ft of water. The bite will go on until first of May. So get them while you can. Crappie are getting back on brush in 8-12 FOW there are few are still spawning but most are done.

Michael Shumard
ought1ag
AG
only have fished Conroe 1-2 times but I wish I could get my hands on a bucket of those shad to freeze and use throughout the year.
DUman08
AG
They do not freeze well in my opinion they get soft and will not stay on hook well. You can catch them from any boat ramp right now.
YellowPot_97
AG
Where on Conroe are you getting the shad?
GottaRide
S
I depend on this update every year. Thanks!
Ragoo
AG
What is the water temp?
DUman08
AG
Any bulkhead at this point or you can catch them at boat ramps that allow you to throw nets for them.
DUman08
AG
Main lake 65 back coves around 68.
I Drink Your Milkshake
PA24
AG
DUman08 said:

Just an FYI anyone wanting to fill their freezers with fresh fish now is the time. The shad spawn is going on on Lake Conroe and the every species of fish is feeding on them. The bite is great from daylight to around 10am. If its cloudy the bite will last longer. The channel catfish have been hitting anything you put in front of them. I have been using slip cork set at 2 - 3ft rigged with split shot and circle hook. The bait of choice has been fresh shad and they can be caught by the bucket full right at daylight in less than 1ft of water. The bite will go on until first of May. So get them while you can. Crappie are getting back on brush in 8-12 FOW there are few are still spawning but most are done.

Nice

gonemaroon
AG
Nice fish - great catch and thanks for sharing
drred4
DUman08, apparently you did not give your report to TPWD on the catfish

CONROE Water stained; 6165 degrees; 0.16' low. Black bass are good on pumpkinseed soft plastic worms and spinnerbaits. Striped bass are fair on silver striper jigs. Crappie are good on minnows. Catfish are slow.
DUman08
AG
Those reports are never right or they are a month behind.
I talked to buddy this morning that limited on Hybrids this morning with swim baits against the bulkheads. I am going in the morning so should be able to give good report then.
DUman08
AG
Two man limit with few hybrids off the water by 9am, The shad spawn seems to be really going on the northern end of the lake. The south end should be kicked up by Easter weekend. Water was between 68 - 70 on north end.
I have video of shad rolling on bulkhead that I will try and post

https://i.imgur.com/jefbHd2.mp4
DUman08
AG

Did not fish yesterday the wind was howling, but Saturday and was lights out.

trip98
AG
DUman,
got any tips for crappie up there? I've only done the 1097 bridge with so so results. I would think now they'd be more shallow spawning. With wind forecast looking good for this coming saturday thinking of taking my boy up there and fishing for some bass and wouldn't mind trying to get into some crappie.

We live in humble and mostly hit luce bayou on lake houston (all messed up b/c of water level) and sheldon reservoir. Done okay at both recently but water fluctuations both man made and lack of rain have impacted both. I was thinking conroe might be a good choice.

if you don't mind sharing some tips feel free to email me at
trip dot franty
at sci-us.com

thanks,
Trip
DUman08
AG
Will send you an email.
DUman08
AG
Bite is still going on strong on Lake Conroe. The weather stabilizing this week will really turn the bite on. The majority of catfish I am cleaning have eggs in them. They are about to start spawning in the next couple of weeks so if you want to fill the cooler better do it in the next couple of weeks.

Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.