Outdoors
Sponsored by

Glass bedding rifle

2,826 Views | 17 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Fishin Texas Aggie 05
Texanick
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I recently picked up a Remington 700 5r gen II. I have put in a new trigger and am getting a grouping just under .75 moa. I'm thinking about getting it glass bedded to try to get it under .5 moa. Has anyone done this and not seen accuracy improvement?
slammerag
AG
Ya.. your guns shooting well already. Might remove action screws and see how much slop you have. If you have a bunch might bed the lug.
AggiePetro07
AG
It's got a block in it. You might try taking the action out and checking to see if you have any fore/aft movement of the action during recoil. You will see marks if you do.

If you do, screw the action back in to proper torque settings while making sure the lug is firmly seated against the recess. Then shoot it.

If it improves you should see at least a small improvement by bedding. At least in my experience. The bedding may not necessarily improve over the "re-torqued" groups, but you'll have a repeatable, stress free bedding surface.
aad03
AG
I wouldn't mess with glass bedding if you are already shooting sub-moa. If you are already getting groups that tight, I don't think there's any reason to mess with that. I assume you are already shooting handloaded ammo? If not, that would be the best bet to tighten up the group a little bit. I don't tinker with any rifles that shoot moa or better, other than maybe dropping in a Timney. All depends what your goals are, I guess.
Class of '03
ghollow
AG
Are you shooting factory ammo? What is the trigger pull? Barrel floated?
Charismatic Megafauna
AG
The only way bedding can hurt is if you take a rifle that has a pressure point and float it (believe the 5r should float already), or if you screw up the bedding job, which would be tough to do. Otherwise it can only help. Go for it. I use marine tex, I'm sure acraglas is as good or better
Texanick
AG
Well I actually just got my rifle back. I had dropped it off with the gunsmith Monday. They quoted me potentially 6 - 8 weeks on getting it back. I started second guessing if the glass bedding was worth the extra money. I was thinking about calling them back to say hold off, but I'm glad I didn't. After the glass bedding the rifle shot .282". I am very pleased and happy with the quick work Hill Country Rifles could do on this rifle.

Also, this is with factory Hornady 143grain ELDX.
AggiePetro07
AG
Texanick said:

Well I actually just got my rifle back. I had dropped it off with the gunsmith Monday. They quoted me potentially 6 - 8 weeks on getting it back. I started second guessing if the glass bedding was worth the extra money. I was thinking about calling them back to say hold off, but I'm glad I didn't. After the glass bedding the rifle shot .282". I am very pleased and happy with the quick work Hill Country Rifles could do on this rifle.

Good. Now learn to do it yourself and save some money!

I've done 4 or 5. It's actually pretty hard to screw up.
Texanick
AG
Might do that on the next one. I have an older Remington 700 CDL 30-06 that I want to get started working on.
AggiePetro07
AG
Texanick said:

Might do that on the next one. I have an older Remington 700 CDL 30-06 that I want to get started working on.

Take your time and do a couple of dry runs. It's not all that bad.
Gulf Coast Aggie
Fishin Texas Aggie 05
AG
I'm going to try it with a friend this weekend. I've been using this video as a guide

Capt. Augustus McCrae
AG
In addition to bedding the action, lapping the bore can seriously improve accuracy.

Don't just use fire lapping because it's easy. A good hand lapping job isn't hard and is something a gun tinkerer can do himself.
AggiePetro07
AG
Fishin Texas Aggie 05 said:

I'm going to try it with a friend this weekend. I've been using this video as a guide

I didn't watch because I can't where I'm at, but in still picture the action still has the mag box in place. Just take that out and put some plumber's putty in the opening. There's way too much chance of mechanical lock there, IMHO.

I will tape the walls of the mag opening and then put some paste wax on them. I'll also fill the void with some high density foam (packaging material, etc) and then put some plumber's putty on top. That keeps the epoxy from going down and helps to force it up so you get better coverage along the side of the receiver and in-letting.

I never put enough epoxy in the area between the tang and the lug (rails, for lack of a better term) that sits along side the action. I usually get bubbles in there, which doesn't necessarily hurt, but isn't as good looking and could let some crap in there (seeds, dirt, etc.). The extra epoxy required isn't much.

The more time you take in prep, the better the job will be.

Charismatic Megafauna
AG
One step that I added on my most recent one was to spray everything on the underside of the barrelled action with Hornady One Shot Case Lube. I sprayed in all the screw holes with it too, just in case. Worked great, little extra peace of mind.
John Cocktolstoy
Texanick said:

I have said time and time again, Matt and his crew at Hill Country are tops! They do awesome work. You were lucky that you had a round that the weapon liked and they just had to improve it. Sometimes it can take a while to find a factory load that will shine.
Sounds like you have a winner, congrats!!!
Second Hardest Workin Man on Texags
Fishin Texas Aggie 05
AG
Wish me luck

My I just got done and will see if I'm not locked in tomorrow morning
Charismatic Megafauna
AG
Good luck! I pop mine out and do minor trimming/thread cleaning after its set up for 2 hours or so (to make sure i don't glue it together), then slap it back together for final curing
Fishin Texas Aggie 05
AG
Yeah

No mechanical lock

I chipped some of the devcon when taking it apart but I hope that doesn't effect accuracy to much

This was the most nerve wracking things in a while and I recently spent 6 days in the hospital/NICU for 6.75 days and felt better about that
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.