Outdoors
Sponsored by

Used side-by-side shopping

4,621 Views | 25 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by CE Lounge Lizzard
Justified
How long do you want to ignore this user?
In the market for a used side-by-side. The boys (4&7) and I have out grown the Honda 450. It will be used for the lease and generally cruising around. So far the ones that have caught my eye are the Polaris Ranger, Kawasaki mule pro series and the Yamaha Viking.
Any input would be greatly appreciated.
Mule_lx
AG
Anyone else default to side by side shotgun?
Mark Fairchild
AG
What Mule said!
Gig'em, Ole Army Class of '70
AgEng06
AG
Mule_lx said:

I didn't, but that's because I've been wanting to buy a "UTV" so OP's kind of SxS was fresh on my mind.
Texas 1836
AG
Mule_lx said:

Username does not check out ...

HumbleAg04
AG
Have a 2018 and 2019 Mule Pro FXT. Family friendly with cupholders. Easy winner for our needs when we test drove everything.

The used market for them sucks since oldest models are 2015. Lots of Rangers around but everyone I looked at was dogged on.
Justified
I went and looked at the Pro FXT and they seem wider than a ranger? But most of my looking has been limited to Facebook, Craigslist and atv trader.
I see a lot of the mud park specials.
Dumbdumb
Go compare to a Honda Pioneer. Those things have a huge following and are beastly! Honda has fixed all the earlier year issues. A good solid machine that will last a long time.
MrWonderful
AG
I'm looking around at them too. Only problem is the wife wants a kitchen first. The guys at my duck club (besides the ones who default to rangers) seem to really like the can-am defender and the yamaha viking. Viking has a mean engine brake though which is annoying in the flatlands.
AgEng06
AG
Funny you should say that... our kitchen remodel starts on Monday.
schmellba99
AG
2019 Mule Pro FXT - it absolutely killed me to spend the money because I'm cheap, but it has been well worth the cost.

Biggest things about Kawasaki over the others (or at least Polaris) - warranty is standard 3 years with Kawi and you have the option of extending it, and the Mule Pro FXT has doors.

May not seem like a huge deal, but I had a Mule 610 before I upgraded and the doors are money. It's still an open cab, but the half doors keep you a million times cleaner than open cab without doors, and the Kawasaki doors are solid and part of the design whereas most of the other brands have aftermarket soft door options that are a royal PITA.

Drawback for Kawasaki over Polaris will be that the Kawasaki sits lower to the ground. I had the dealer install a 4" lift before I picked it up, but even with the lift it doesn't have the wheel clearance that Rangers have. I have 26" tires on my buggy, could go up to 28" tires without any additional mods. Some folks can run 29.5's, but they will rub on turns. That being said, I haven't had any issues (yet) with clearance on my 26's. Next set will be 28's though just because.

Plenty of power, I can convert from front and back seat (6 seater) to front seat only with a huge bed in no time flat, and to me the Kawasaki was just better built overall, runs quieter and a better value. Others may disagree, and that's cool. I had no experience personally wit Polaris but most of the folks I know that own Polaris seem to have issues with them early and sometimes often.

If you do look at new ones, figure out what the difference between models are and whether or not the cost delta is worth it. Mine is an FXT, which is the base model. The next model up has LED headlights, power ports in the back seat and better rims. Which is fine, but they wanted about $1800 more for about $300 in upgrades. I added LED headlights for $40, upgraded my rims on both my mud tires and summer tires for $275 total and the wiring for rear power ports is already installed - I can buy USB ports off of Amazon for about $15 if I wanted to.
schmellba99
AG
Justified said:

I went and looked at the Pro FXT and they seem wider than a ranger? But most of my looking has been limited to Facebook, Craigslist and atv trader.
I see a lot of the mud park specials.
I think it depends on the model of Ranger you are looking at. Some are narrower than others, just like the 600 series and 4010 series Mules are narrower than the FXT series.
Justified
Thanks for the reply, I'm Also in the market for a bigger trailer. My little 5x8 won't cut it.
Justified
My wife is wanting a Tahoe. That's why I'm searching for a used buggy.
schmellba99
AG
Justified said:

Thanks for the reply, I'm Also in the market for a bigger trailer. My little 5x8 won't cut it.
Nope, I have a 5x8 too but it has become my at the deer lease trailer. You'll need at least a 10 foot trailer to haul one in, and you might as well get a real tandem utility trailer anyway. I bought a 14' tandem axle trailer that does what I need and then some.
Mas89
AG
My 2014 Yamaha Viking is very loud and engine heat is bad coming up behind the seat. I have a roof and lay down windshield but dust rolls in the cab pretty bad when roads are dusty.
I won't buy another Yamaha for these reasons.
dannyag07
AG
I'm selling a 06 Polaris Ranger 500 for my dad. Well maintained. Lots of extras. 2 seater with 2 over the bed. $4000. Located in BCS.

tamc93
AG

Justified said:

I have the trailer...12' with ramp and new decking. Basically an older model of Texas Bragg Trailers LD29.
FJB, FPA, and FAZ
DallasAggies01
AG
We really enjoy our 2018 Ranger Crew. Have had it over a year and no issues, but we don't use it mudding etc... Has around 650 miles on it and haven't hit the first 25 hour service yet so other's input on the reliability may be more useful.
Justified
Even trade? Haha
EskimoJoe
Justified said:

Even trade? Haha

kubota, non belt driven and diesel for the win.
cuz-i-can
AG
Texas 1836 said:

Mule_lx said:

What's wrong with it?
Texas 1836
AG
cuz-i-can said:

Texas 1836 said:

Mule_lx said:

What's wrong with it?
Lighten up, Francis.

His username is Mule and instead he thought of a shotgun ...

cuz-i-can
AG
Texas 1836 said:

cuz-i-can said:

Texas 1836 said:

Mule_lx said:

What's wrong with it?
Lighten up, Francis.

His username is Mule and instead he thought of a shotgun ...

Thanks for putting me in my place.
Texas 1836
AG
Maybe leave the rage face at home next time

cuz-i-can
AG
Yessir...your highness.
CE Lounge Lizzard
AG
Mule_lx said:

Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.