Outdoors
Sponsored by

Pitbuilders in DFW?

2 Views | 14 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by agcrock2005
agcrock2005
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I have a 1,000 lb propane tank and a set of plans to have it made into a pit. Anyone know of someone that I could take both to and have the pit built in DFW area? Thanks.

PS: Not only do I not want to build it myself, it would be really really crappy if I did try.
swampstander
AG
Shop around your local FFA chapters.
BKS_Aggie08
AG
I am east of DFW but could do it or I have some people around the Frisco area that I could put you in contact as well.
YogiBeers
AG
How about you share your plans? I'm curious? In the process of designing a 250 gallon one my self.
BKS_Aggie08
AG

This is a reverse flow cabinet style 250 that we built a few years ago. I will see if I can find some plans for it on my computer if you want. If you are looking at a traditional offset I'd look at Moberg or Mill Scale smokers online. They build a lot out of propane tanks.
Picard
AG
Dammit man those dogs are.......

Wait a minute, different kind of pit. Carry on!

YogiBeers
AG
I'll take those plans if you have them. I'm looking at building a reverse flow as well. I still debating if I want to put it on a trailer or if I want to build a cart using golf cart wheels. I would post a picture but I don't know how to.
agcrock2005
AG
How far east of Dallas, and would it be something I could just drop off and you could follow the plans specifications or would you need me to supply everything (hinges, thermometers, etc.)?

As far as sharing the plans, let me look into it. They're guarded like fort knox on the internet which is why we ended up buying these. Didn't want reverse flow but they were the only plans we could find on the internet for a 1000 gallon tank, and it's actually my brothers tank and he doesn't want to experiment since we don't know what we're doing.
agcrock2005
AG
Thanks. I've thought about that as well. I have a buddy that's a coach at a school and he's looking into that for me. It would seem that this would be a perfect project for a group of high schoolers.
512Ag
AG
As mentioned above, Mill Scale and Moberg are both really well-connected and might be able to point you to someone in your area. Both are really responsive if you email them.
agcrock2005
AG
AggieDem said:

As mentioned above, Mill Scale and Moberg are both really well-connected and might be able to point you to someone in your area. Both are really responsive if you email them.
EDIT: My brain sucks and I'm a dummy.
swampstander
AG
agcrock2005 said:

Thanks. I've thought about that as well. I have a buddy that's a coach at a school and he's looking into that for me. It would seem that this would be a perfect project for a group of high schoolers.
I give that advice with a grain of salt. I was in the school business for 30 years or so. It all depends on the instructor. Some Ag shops put out fabulous work. Others look like they were welded by a herd of monkeys. That's why I suggested you shop around.
La Fours
AG
BKS mentioned Moberg and Mill Scale in his post.

El Cucaracho Smokers is in Saginaw. https://www.elcucarachosmokers.com/

Check out his Instagram page.

https://instagr.am/p/BsG1wz1BEip
BKS_Aggie08
AG
I'm near Sulphur Springs. We could follow your plans or make modifications if you wanted, or if you are wanting a traditional flow offset, we could do that as well.

Were you wanting it on a trailer or on a skid?

If you get a chance check out this Texas Monthly article about several Texas pit builders.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.texasmonthly.com/bbq/thousand-gallon-smokers-bbq/amp/
agcrock2005
AG
Thank you. Just e-mailed him.
agcrock2005
AG
Thanks for the insight. Upon further inspection, tank is 500 (thank God) gallon. I've reached out to the place in Saginaw and I'm going to keep looking a little closer and then if we can't find anything closer then I may have to make the trek out to Sulphur Springs. Please shoot me e-mail at username at gmail. Thanks again.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.