Outdoors
Sponsored by

Doug Supernaw - Stage IV Cancer

6,503 Views | 29 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Breggy Popup
schmellba99
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Link

He had some good songs back in the day - I don't call him daddy, Red and Rio Grande, State Fair among them.

Sounds like he's going to have a rough go of it. He had some dark days a while back, but I thought I read where he had worked hard to turn himself around and was getting everything back in order.
Player To Be Named Later
Emotional Support Cobra
AG
I am sorry to hear this. Encountered him a time or two at the Dixie Chicken, but had hoped he would turn his life around.
FIDO 96
AG
Red & Rio Grande. One of my faves back when I was on campus. We saw him @ Houston Rodeo. Opened for Clint Black.
Milwaukees Best Light
AG
There was a legendary thread chronicling his adventures.
agsalaska
AG
That sucks.
The trouble with quotes on the internet is that you never know if they are genuine. -- Abraham Lincoln.
P.H. Dexippus
AG
Reno, man I jammed to that song as kid. Then a couple times as an adult after a heartbreak.
rlb28
AG
His son Phillip Supernaw was an NFL player.

Father, son reunite
ttha_aggie_09
AG
rlb28 said:

Father, son reunite

I don't think he is done yet. Had a foot injury earlier this year, I believe. Hell of a player and good dude.

Feel bad for his dad, cancer sucks.
A. Solzhenitsyn
He definitely lived hard. This is a bummer for sure. His daughter was at A&M the same time as me, and my wife was casual acquaintances with her.

Reno was one of the best mainstream country songs of the 90s.
tmaggies
AG
Frog_ said:

I am sorry to hear this. Encountered him a time or two at the Dixie Chicken, but had hoped he would turn his life around.

Unfortunately it's hard to turn your life around when severe mental illness is involved. Spoke with him while he was incarcerated several years back and it was obvious he had issues. Sad deal and praying for the best.
Breggy Popup
AG
ttha_aggie_09 said:

rlb28 said:

Father, son reunite

I don't think he is done yet. Had a foot injury earlier this year, I believe. Hell of a player and good dude.

Feel bad for his dad, cancer sucks.

He was released in August last year.
ttha_aggie_09
AG
Because of what I was told to be a foot injury... I haven't personally talked to the guy in a while but that was the last I heard.
Tim Weaver
Two good freinds of mine were co-writers on Reno. One of them died a few years ago to cancer. The other plays for Roger Creager now.

Doug is/was a great talent. Alcoholism grabbed him hard and never let go. It's a shame because he's a pretty good dude when sober.....
92AG10
AG
When I read this earlier today, I pulled up Red and Rio Grande and listened to the entire album for the first time in years. Some damn good music.
$3 Sack of Groceries
AG
https://texags.com/forums/12/topics/598161/3#discussion
OregonAggie
AG
I learned how to play Reno and Red and the Rio grande on guitar recently. I don't call him daddy is one of my favorite songs ever.

God bless him and his family.
allMondjoy
Coached both his son and daughter at Katy Taylor HS back in the 90s. Met him and his wife.
Hope he pulls through this set back.
HarleySpoon
AG
A. Solzhenitsyn said:

He definitely lived hard. This is a bummer for sure. His daughter was at A&M the same time as me, and my wife was casual acquaintances with her.

Reno was one of the best mainstream country songs of the 90s.
It always bothered me in "Reno" that he had the line "couldn't roll me a seven if you gave me loaded dice." Genuine craps player know that the line is pretty backwards. Just couldn't get around that line.

I still listen to "Red and Rio Grande" about twice a week.
Boo Weekley
Sad to hear. Hope he fights like crazy but also that he is able to find comfort that only the Lord can provide during this difficult time.

Reno is one of my fav classic country jams from that era.
MAROON
AG
you guys realize rolling a 7 can also be a win, right?
What do you boys want for breakfast BBQ ?.....OK Chili.
HarleySpoon
AG
MAROON said:

Of course it can...but only for the come out roll and the first come roll and then you only win the measley line bet. Roll a seven any other time and you lose your line bet, your line odds, your come bets, your come odds, your place bets, your hard ways, your field bets. Nobody ever stands at a craps table and yell's "come on seven." Even on a come out roll they yell "Yo eleven."

You still occasionally hear some novice yell "seven come eleven"....and most folks roll their eyes and frown when that happens.
O.G.
HarleySpoon said:

A. Solzhenitsyn said:

It always bothered me in "Reno" that he had the line "couldn't roll me a seven if you gave me loaded dice." Genuine craps player know that the line is pretty backwards. Just couldn't get around that line.

Has everything to do with syllables of the word Sev-en. Any other number, other than elev-en, doesn't work or rhyme.

Sort of like when you hear the word "gun" instead of "rifle", or "clip" instead of "magazine"......sometimes the wrong word has to be used for no other reason than it fits the number of syllables and it rhymes.
Breggy Popup
AG
HarleySpoon said:

MAROON said:

Of course it can...but only for the come out roll and the first come roll and then you only win the measley line bet. Roll a seven any other time and you lose your line bet, your line odds, your come bets, your come odds, your place bets, your hard ways, your field bets. Nobody ever stands at a craps table and yell's "come on seven." Even on a come out roll they yell "Yo eleven."

You still occasionally hear some novice yell "seven come eleven"....and most folks roll their eyes and frown when that happens.

Mathematically it makes sense though. Seven has the highest probability result (16.67%) in any single roll of two dice.
03_Aggie
HarleySpoon said:

MAROON said:

Uppity craps players. Odd reason to dismiss a song.

AG
Not good. My dad died of bladder cancer that quickly metastasized all over his body, he was gone five months after being diagnosed.
A. Solzhenitsyn
HarleySpoon said:

MAROON said:

maybe Doug's misunderstanding of craps led to him losing a major bet and sent his life on the downward trajectory it took. sad!

as for me, I have no idea what the **** you just said.
The Lost Hondo
AG

Quote:

as for me, I have no idea what the **** you just said.

He said he doesn't know how the Don't Pass Line works.
45-70Ag
AG
The guy is dying of cancer and someone wants to argue over the logic of the lyrics of a good song.
Ducks4brkfast
AG
He passed away this morning.
Breggy Popup
AG
**** cancer.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.