Outdoors
Sponsored by

Best red stag mount position

4,112 Views | 16 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by LSB_2002
Jack Pearson
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I'm not totally sure where I will mount this animal so was thinking of going with the straight on semi sneak but seems like a slight turn one way or another is more common. Anyone have any pics of theirs?
Log
AG

Post removed:
by user
cupofjoe04
AG
I really love shoulder pedestals.

But everything depends upon your animal. Usually, they will have a stronger side or feature. Think about how you enter the room, typically you put the stronger side forward. However, I have an elk that is almost identical, except his left just forks at the top, and his right has a big proper 5th.

I was thinking of putting him right side forward, but a taxidermist showed me that was a mistake. When you looked at the elk your eyes go through the middle and see what is in back. So, we gave him a SLIGHT right turn, and his mass on the left covers up the weak top, and the strong 5ths of the right show through the middle.

Every mount is different.
cupofjoe04
AG
Here is an example of what I'm talking about.

A whitetail I killed a long time ago- was all busted up on his left, so we put the right side out and gave him a left turn. Wish I would have done the opposite

Doesn't look as good from straight on-

so I hung him where you seee this angle more.

Here is the elk-
This would be typical-

But we did this way, so it hides the weakness just a little. Shows more of his strong front end, and the stronger back right is right in the middle. I hung him where you get a couple different views, because he looks very narrow from straight on (because he is).

Hope this helps. Just spend time walking around jr and looking at different angles. Consider where you will hang him for sure, but you or he may move at some point, so do what looks best all around.
Tx-Ag2010
AG
I hope you have some high ceilings...

Unfortunately I designed my house with only whitetail/axis in mind. Depending on the elk I get I'll either have to find a creative way to European mount it or loan the mount to my parents until I get married and have kids (at which point I could consider building another house).
jtp01
AG
We are building right now. We have space for 2 elk mounts when I kill them. It was actually my wife's idea to make room for 2. She said "you know as soon as you kill 1 you will want a bigger one".

We are also building a barn with 2 offices in it and there will be room there as well. Since we are building on land that has been in the family for over a century, we are building exactly what we want, there will be no more moving after this!
cupofjoe04
AG
Euro with a Skull-Hooker. Can adjust it left and right, as well as tilt up and down. I'll be doing all my elk this way from now on, really love the way it looks and how you can get it adjusted just right. They even make a bone bracket for if you just saw the horns off- that looks good too. Saw a 340" bull done like that, looked awesome.

Tx-Ag2010
AG
cupofjoe04 said:

Euro with a Skull-Hooker. Can adjust it left and right, as well as tilt up and down. I'll be doing all my elk this way from now on, really love the way it looks and how you can get it adjusted just right. They even make a bone bracket for if you just saw the horns off- that looks good too. Saw a 340" bull done like that, looked awesome.

That looks pretty neat. Definitely going to have to look into this.
LSB_2002
AG
I had one mounted this year and am very pleased with the look, however I do wish I would've thought it out a little more. I had the taxidermist do a wall pedestal with the stag facing forward. I wish I would've had him facing down just a bit. If you look at my mount straight on, you lose alot of the character. Take a look below:

Above in the field......below you can see what we're not able to see when looking at him straight on.

TX_COWDOC
AG
Log said:

What is your ceiling height?
www.southpawprecision.com
Type 07 FFL / Class 2 SOT
Nightforce Optics Dealer
AGM Night Vision Dealer
Log
AG
16'.
Jack Pearson
AG
Did you ever get your pics to come thru?
AggieMPH2005
My taxidermist does my euro mounts on a piece of driftwood which gives it a bit more character than a hook.

I am not sure how it would look for an elk or stag mount though. I can get a pic tonite if anyone wants to see how it looks.
LSB_2002
AG
classof2019 said:

Did you ever get your pics to come thru?
Heck, my pics are showing for me. Can you guys not see them?

cupofjoe04
AG
Negative. Just blank boxes where the pics should be. I'm on mobile- so maybe that is it
AgEng06
AG
No. I'm pretty sure linking from DropBox doesn't work. Or if it does, you need to be linking to the specific image, meaning your link needs to end in ".jpg, .gif, etc."
LSB_2002
AG
AgEng06 said:

No. I'm pretty sure linking from DropBox doesn't work. Or if it does, you need to be linking to the specific image, meaning your link needs to end in ".jpg, .gif, etc."
Well hell! Let me work on it.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.