Outdoors
Sponsored by

"Cinder Block Smoker"

11,476 Views | 18 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by jimscott85
jimscott85
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
So I've seen a few blogs devoted to smokers built using cinder blocks (I know, it's really a concrete block). I apologize if this has been covered here, but I didn't find anything in a search.

Anyone have experience using blocks, bricks, etc. for a smoker? I feel like, if it's properly designed, built and sealed, it can be an effective construction material for a smoker. My curiosity was sparked by a couple examples:

• From the TAMU bbq page, this one is fairly crude, but seems to serve its purpose well: https://bbq.tamu.edu/2013/12/02/cinder-block-pit/. There's nothing really "sealing in heat", but I assume the multiple layers to the block provide some decent insulation. It's really more of a "bbq pit" than a genuine smoker.
  • This example incorporates an "offset smoker" design: https://www.instructables.com/id/Cinder-Block-CMU-Offset-Smoker/?amp_page=true. Again, nothing to seal off the bricks, but you have a picture of what a cleaner design might be.
  • Taking it to a new level "TravisS125" took the design to a whole new level and sealed the blocks, built custom lids, etc. The design looks solid, and sealing the blocks I assume prevents some heat loss. His pics and post are imbedded on the page, so I can't find a separate link. Just search the username on the page and you can see his design work on the second link above.

Anyway, I'm curious if anyone has done this or if it's been discussed on the forum and I can't find it.

Jimmy
AgsMnn
AG
They upgraded their smoker from the first one when it started. We only had some old metal we found. Buying those blocks was comical from the looks we got at Lowe's.
schmellba99
AG
Nothing magic about it - you need the same principles on a CMU smoker as you do on a pipe or metal fabricated smoker - controlled air flow and heat retention.

CMU's are actually fairly good insulators. Add some sand in the cells and use some clay/mud or mortar to seal the joints and you have a very good heat retaining structure. No different really than a brick smoker or pit that are still fairly common.
Dr. Faustus
AG
Not a BBQ expert, so hopefully I don't get crucified if I'm incorrect here.

Concrete is a better insulator than steel, so I would assume that given similar design specs for size, airflow, and heat source location, a smoker constructed out of cinder blocks would be more efficient at heat retention than a steel one. My guess is that portability, not cooking efficiency, is the main concern with the concrete designs.

Just my $0.02 though, and I could be completely wrong.

Edit: Looks like schmellba beat me to it.
jimscott85
AG
Didn't think about sand in the spaces. Even better insulation. I wasn't sure if the insulation characteristics of concrete would outweigh not sealing the bricks.

As for portability, I don't think I really care all that much. I have a big enough yard and the location of my current smoker is out of site, which is where something like this would go anyway.
TX AG 88
AG
Quote:

Concrete is a better insulator than steel

not trying to be a know-it-all or bust chops, but "steel is a better conductor of heat than concrete", is more like it. I wouldn't really call either an "insulator" except as you did, in the relative sense. For instance, Rammed Earth walls (18" thick or more) are very poor insulators (but because of that thickness, they do have high thermal mass, so there's that.)
DeWrecking Crew
I built one last 4th of July to smoke a couple of whole pigs....worked great, and I didn't even seal the blocks. It held temp well and if you get the calculations close for a proper draw the smoke will go the intended path as mine did...having said that, it was not a windy day, I'm sure a little wind could have caused havoc

schmellba99
AG
Well, I know to never hire you as a mason based on that picture.....

Just busting your stones man, looks like a solid setup for a temporary pit.
schmellba99
AG
TX AG 88 said:

Quote:

Concrete is a better insulator than steel

not trying to be a know-it-all or bust chops, but "steel is a better conductor of heat than concrete", is more like it. I wouldn't really call either an "insulator" except as you did, in the relative sense. For instance, Rammed Earth walls (18" thick or more) are very poor insulators (but because of that thickness, they do have high thermal mass, so there's that.)
I would call a CMU block an insulator. Concrete is one of the poorest conductors of heat or electricity, plus it has the air pocket in the cell, which is what makes insulation work anyway.

Or, how about this - a cinder block, whether filled with sand or not, has a significantly higher R value than a steel pipe wall?
Gibbs Slap
Random Ag
AG
These are featured with some regularity on Man Fire Food. Slightly different designs but seem to produce some good meat. A brewery we went to did one for their hops party to smoke a whole pig and it was tasty (for comparison I have a BGE)
AgLA06
AG
DeWrecking Crew said:

... and if you get the calculations close for a proper draw the smoke will go the intended path as mine did.

Go on...
MouthBQ98
AG
My grandpa smoked hundreds, if not a thousand or more briskets on a cinderblock pit about 20'x8' with a firebox built on each end. It took a bit of work to figure out how big the openings from the fireboxes to the main pit needed to be and how to baffle them and get good heat distribution, but cindeebocks, some steel angle, expanded metal panels to build grates, plywood, a few boards and metal sheeting to build the cover and heat proof the underside, and steel plates to cover the fireboxes was all it took really. They did briskets, sausage and chickens for church functions and catering some receptions and various events for some extra money in retirement.
DeWrecking Crew
Lol...truth, but for a single use application, I wasn't going to spend a lot of time or money....but if I'm being honest, it probably wouldn't have looked a whole lot better had I spent 2 days on it versus 2 hours
DeWrecking Crew
AgLA06 said:

DeWrecking Crew said:

... and if you get the calculations close for a proper draw the smoke will go the intended path as mine did.

Go on...
I've used the attached link to size my firebox and chimney on 2 pits, they both worked great, so I trust the math

BBQ Pit Calculator
Superdave1993
AG
DeWrecking Crew made a fancy version of the one I use.

Got my idea from the three guys from Miami page.

http://www.mausit.com/Pig-Roast/3%20Guys%20from%20Miam%20Pigroast!%20The%20Best%20Way%20to%20Roast%20a%20Pig!.htm

Works fine and we have done about 12 pork butts on it once.
DeWrecking Crew
The old lady called it many names....fancy wasn't one of them
tamc93
AG
Interesting thread.

I have been thinking of converting an old concrete cistern (circa 1950) into a smoke house of some sort. It use to collect water from a roof top and now the gutters, etc do not function. Threads like this make me think I could figure it out.
Kamala and Ann Richards have something in common...both wh..
FJB 2.0 (KH)
Superdave1993
jimscott85
AG
tamc93 said:

Interesting thread.

I have been thinking of converting an old concrete cistern (circa 1950) into a smoke house of some sort. It use to collect water from a roof top and now the gutters, etc do not function. Threads like this make me think I could figure it out.
Do it!!! I love reading/hearing some of the DIY projects recycling old into new...especially when it comes to smokers. Guy Fieri drives me insane, but I love the restaurants featured on his show. Anyway, one of my favorites was a refrigerator converted to a fish smoker.

I think the cistern would be a great idea. My only concern in this or the cinder block smoker is the potential for mold growth in an outdoor setting. Technically you encounter the same concern with any smoker and mold collecting on the surface of the smoke box I guess.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.