Outdoors
Sponsored by

Post your favorite leather traditional hunting rifle sling

2,888 Views | 12 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by sunchaser
dr_boogs
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
In the market for a leather sling for a new rifle. Want a traditional leather sling. Not interested in a really wide sling or one with a bunch of tooling or other stamping/leatherwork. Functional, will last for years, will stay on your shoulder, comfortable to carry, and feels sturdy when wrapped around your forearm when shooting. TIA!
Newoldarmy
AG
That's a perfect description of Murray's sling.
CactusThomas
AG
Latigo from Brownells is the best option.
sunchaser
AG
Murray!

CactusThomas
AG
OP is looking for a hunting strap for carrying his rifle but also a functional shooting sling, that is why I recommend the latigo. I have a half dozen of them. The quality is great and the design is excellent.

For a carry strap that wont be used as a shooting sling, I like the Montana sling. It's cheaper than the latigo and still looks decent. High quality.

For a shooting sling that wont be used as a carry strap, the Turner saddlery military style slings are excellent.
BoozerRed78
AG
I love these slings: https://montanagunslings.com/
AgEng06
AG
Getcha' one of these...

https://www.larue.com/products/larue-cagulowa/

Mark can't be serious... right?
Ducks4brkfast
AG
https://www.murraycustomleather.com/slings.htm

Have one with a thumb hole on a .270 Like it alot.

Gibbs Slap
AG
Butler Creek Plain Leather Military Sling
AggieMPH2005
I like my Turner 1903 leather sling. I have no trouble using it as a carrying strap as well as a shooting sling, but if you don't like the wide sling you should probably use one of the other options listed above.
MouthBQ98
AG
1907 leather sling. Imminently practical.
EFE
AG
These are so hideous, Larue must be getting cocky after selling his 50,000th MBT.
Old Sarge
AG
I used Latigo (as my Dad got me started on them) from the mid seventies until I inherited a couple of rifles from my Dad several years ago when he passed, with Murray adjustable slings. I see no reason to change out the rifles that have Latigos already on them as they are great slings. However, when I got my Winchester Model 70 Featherweight 25-05 a few months back, I equipped it with a Murray.

As a side note, when I called the Murray number, the owner answered the phone. After speaking a few minutes and telling of how I found my way to them, we figured out that he was the brother of one of my Dad's good buddies. We had a good laugh and he told me some pretty cool stories about Dad and how much he liked him.

Edit to add, they have some really nice leather goods other than rifle slings at Murray.
sunchaser
AG
They sure do. Over the years I have bought shotgun cases, handgun rugs, many belts, knife cases, shell holders along with rifle slings.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.