Outdoors
Sponsored by

Shade trees for my backyard? Nuttall Oak?

8,864 Views | 16 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by PerfectPlantsNursery
FatZilla
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Looking for some OB wisdom on some good shade trees for my backyard. I live out in Brookshire, TX. A little bit of searching led me to Nuttall Oak's as a good one to plant. I really like the colors of the Red Oak's, so I prefer one that changes colors in fall. Anyone have a Nuttall Oak or recommend any other species? My backyard gets full sun most of the day. https://www.southernliving.com/garden/grumpy-gardener/shade-tree-of-the-week-nuttall-oak-whats-that

Here is my backyard. Should be plenty of room for 2 of them at mature age.

pants
My dad has a nuttall oak in his front yard in East Bernard that's about 25 years old and at least 30 feet tall. We planted it when I was in middle school in 1995, and it's had good fall color every year. The only better color I've seen in this part of Texas is a red oak on a good year, chinese pistache, and chinese tallow (tallows have shorter lifespans and spread like crazy).
pants
All trees have issues, but I'm not familiar with Nuttall Oak issues. I know red oaks have some fungal issues, and I think they need their trunks protected from the sun the first few years. Chinese Pistache is probably the best I've ever seen for decent lifespan and fall color combination, but they also need some trunk protection early on.
FatZilla
AG
Ya it looks like the Nuttall doesn't have as many issues as a regular Red does. Trying to get something to shade my grass some in the back yard, its just baking in the sun no matter how much I water.

I am open to any suggestions as well for a fast grower that can take the heat and has good colors throughout the seasons.

How are Shumard Oaks? I see some recommending them over Nuttalls.
pants
I have 2 shumards in my front yard in College Station that I planted about 3 years ago from 2 gallon pots. They've survived, but only one is just this year putting on significant growth this year. They also require some trunk protection for 2-3 years, I think. Fall color varies, but it's not as good as red oaks. They have fewer diseases than red oaks, though.

It's hard (impossible?) to pick a tree that's both fast growing for shade and sturdy enough to stand the test of time. The fast growers have weak wood and the sturdy trees are slow. Maybe plant a chinese pistache for color and early shade and a nuttall or shumard for longevity and durability?
The Fife
Cedar elms turn bright yellow in fall. They're a great choice IMO.
two1993ags
Shumard and Nuttal are both in the red oak family. In my opinion Nuttal is a much better species than Shumard for Fulshear area. I've planted and managed in ground/field grown tree farms for Cross Creek Ranch, Grand Lakes, Bridgeland and private land owners in Katy/Fulshear area for the past 25 years. Used Shumard Oaks at first - they tend to be chlorotic and do not do as well with the higher soil pH and high Phosphorus levels in this part of the state. Nuttal on the other hand has done extremely well.

If you're planting 2 trees I recommend doing two different species. Reduces your risk of loosing both trees to extreme weather events, disease or insect epidemics. Other Oak species that have performed very well in the Cross Creek tree farm are Bur Oak, Swamp Chestnut Oak and Monterrey Oak. We are fairly aggressive with our management practices in the Cross Creek farm - developer needs the trees as fast as we can grow them...on our good years out there we had Bur Oaks that put on a little over an inch of trunk diameter and 5-6' of terminal leader height. For us the key has been annual soil tests and applying the appropriate fertilizer. Too many people in this part of the state use triple 13 or some standard fertilizer and create soil conditions that minimize tree growth - primarily too much phosphorus. Blend we've used for the past 15 years is a 28-3-10 sulfur coated urea.

Just my two cents - I think you're on the right track with Nuttal if you want some fall color. Other than Tallow, Drummond Red Maple and Chinese Pistache its about the best you're gonna get here.
two1993ags
Agree with the Cedar Elm as well. Great, tough tree!
TX AG 88
AG
so one Nutall Oak and one Cedar Elm?
FatZilla
AG
Got any leads on where to purchase the trees around this area? Don't want to get stuck with a tree thats been in its pot way to long and mistreated like you see at garden centers.

If you service individual homes too, feel free to drop me an email, its in my profile. We might be able to get something set up for a few trees + some servicing.
Badace52
AG
What would be the optimal fertilizer combo for the Georgetown area? I have been using 10-10-10 and am unimpressed with the growth on my younger trees.

I have a grab bag of species. Bigtooth Maple, Lacey oak, Escarpment black cherry, Eve's necklace, live oak, texas redbud, River aka Arizona Walnut, and post oak.
CM
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
two1993ags
I'm consultant and do no service work. As for sourcing the trees there are several good growers nurseries in area. Try Bill Bownds, Shawnee Tree, or Lucky nursery. Shawnee would be able to help with the servicing as well. Yellowstone landscapes is another source....if you go that route be sure to go through the Arbor Division -their Arborist are in the Arbor Division.
two1993ags
Not sure on best formulation for Georgetown area. I recommend sending soil sample to Texas A&M soil testing lab. Website has instructions for collecting sample. Do the routine plus micronutrients. Will cost about $30 including postage. The lab results will tell you what is limiting in your soil.
FatZilla
AG
two1993ags said:

I'm consultant and do no service work. As for sourcing the trees there are several good growers nurseries in area. Try Bill Bownds, Shawnee Tree, or Lucky nursery. Shawnee would be able to help with the servicing as well. Yellowstone landscapes is another source....if you go that route be sure to go through the Arbor Division -their Arborist are in the Arbor Division. \
Looks like Shawnee Tree might be a good place to stop by and look into their prices for trees. I have a spare Live Oak in the front yard right now, builder put 2 of them like 10' apart in a small front yard patch that I think is too small for 2, It might do good to have one of them moved to the back and plant 1 new Nuttal to go along with it.
Courtesy Flush
AG
Great insight two1993ags. I am about 30 miles southwest of that area. I really only like to plant native trees on our property so I've focused on only live oaks and bald cypress. Oh yeah, I also planted a few weeping willow trees around the edge of a pond but let's ignore those for the moment . My parents have planted red oaks at their place but they are always disappointed because they don't see the fall color change that they want. I don't know what species of red oak. I have always thought that the cold weather arriving later in the year always messes up a pretty color transition.

After reading on here recently, I have been looking into the Chinese Pistache and now I will look into the Nuttal Oaks. We don't have great options for nursery's where we are so we generally end up having to drive to the Houston area to find good trees. I'll have a look at the places you suggested. I read where the Chinese Pistache tree is best to plant in the late fall so we can select a tree with good color change. Do you have any suggestions on where to get these trees? Is it really a big deal to get a male tree so we don't have to worry about the fruit from the female trees? Are the trees available for sale sexed (that's a question I never thought I'd be asking)?

Thanks
FatZilla
AG
Bill Bownds looks to be the closest of those mentioned to you.
two1993ags
John and Peggy at Bownds are owners. Great people...not Aggies but their son is an Aggie attorney. They grow most of the material they sell at their farm In Katy. Family business started by their parents 50+ years ago.
PerfectPlantsNursery
Check out the nuttall oak here: https://myperfectplants.com/product/nuttall-oak/

Ship it right to your house!
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.