Outdoors
Sponsored by

Savage or Ruger

3,787 Views | 23 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by ag0207
DayAg!
How long do you want to ignore this user?
S
Just want an all around rifle in .22 now that I'm going to sell an old Glenfield 20. If anyone wants it make me an offer. It dont have pics this week but can have some next week. I'm not in College Station right now but will be this weekend. It comes with a 3x9 scope.

Anyway, I'm torn between the Savage Mark II because of the triggers and a Ruger 10/22... Who can help me figure this out.
TheEyeGuy
Sponsor
AG
Accuracy or rapid fire fun? That's basically what you need to decide. You can get an incredibly accurate 10/22 but I will start costing you to get there. I'm nearly a grand into mine but it's a magnum research base gun, ER Shaw Barrel, Timney trigger and a Leupold scope.
Owner of Texian Firearms:
Dealer in Firearms, Optics, Night Vision and other shooting accessories.
US importer/distributor of Rudolph Optics
Supporting bad financial decisions since 2015
DayAg!
S
Quote:

Accuracy or rapid fire fun?
Can't I get both in the same gun?
CTGilley
AG
My 10/22 is pretty darn accurate. I have several people that will testify to that. I have taken more pigs with stinger ear shots from my 10/22 than anything else short of dove with a shot gun.
TheEyeGuy
Sponsor
AG
DayAg! said:

Quote:

Definitely, just a factor of money. Which is why I described my setup. Your base level 10/22 is going to need some stuff to get to the same level as the Savage. Bare minimum, you'll want to upgrade the trigger. I like the Timney. Tim has Volquartsen on his. Both are very nice and will go a long way to helping. My 10/22 will probably outshoot the majority of the mid tier 22s out there, but it's not a mid tier gun, either.

Mine before I swapped barrels. It was too light for me.

But that's the cool thing about 10/22s. Tim started his.... and started upgrading parts. By the time he was done, he literally had a completely different rifle than he started with. In fact, he used all of the other parts to build a second rifle. Pretty much the same thing that happens with people and ARs, just more extreme because you generally change more parts out on a 10/22 and they are simpler.
TheEyeGuy
Sponsor
AG
TheEyeGuy said:

DayAg! said:

Quote:

Definitely, just a factor of money. Which is why I described my setup. Your base level 10/22 is going to need some stuff to get to the same level as the Savage. Bare minimum, you'll want to upgrade the trigger. I like the Timney. Tim has Volquartsen on his. Both are very nice and will go a long way to helping. My 10/22 will probably outshoot the majority of the mid tier 22s out there, but it's not a mid tier gun, either.

Mine before I swapped barrels. It was too light for me.

But that's the cool thing about 10/22s. Tim started his.... and started upgrading parts. By the time he was done, he literally had a completely different rifle than he started with. In fact, he used all of the other parts to build a second rifle. Pretty much the same thing that happens with people and ARs, just more extreme because you generally change more parts out on a 10/22 and they are simpler.
Hell, mention Tim... shoot, same thing with me. With what all I changed out on this one, I literally just harvested a receiver off a project gun and built an ultralight 10/22 for my wife. She loves it.
Eliminatus
AG
Why not both?

That's what I did.
TheEyeGuy
Sponsor
AG
Eliminatus said:

Why not both?

That's what I did.
This is my real answer.
DayAg!
S
So in the end it just comes down to what I'm willing to part with to fulfill the criteria. I can work with that. Thanks guys.
ATX_AG_08
AG
TheEyeGuy said:

Accuracy or rapid fire fun? That's basically what you need to decide. You can get an incredibly accurate 10/22 but I will start costing you to get there. I'm nearly a grand into mine but it's a magnum research base gun, ER Shaw Barrel, Timney trigger and a Leupold scope.

I'm going to piggy back on this thread if I may. Do you have any thoughts on the Savage A17? Accuracy versus a bolt 17.

I recently bought a bolt action Savage .17 and I'm kind of kicking myself for not considering the semi-auto.
BCStalk
ATX_AG_08 said:

TheEyeGuy said:

I'm going to piggy back on this thread if I may. Do you have any thoughts on the Savage A17? Accuracy versus a bolt 17.

I recently bought a bolt action Savage .17 and I'm kind of kicking myself for not considering the semi-auto.

I'd be interested in that too. I still remember my Remington 597 in 17hmr being a really fun gun...until the huge ordeal of course. Never looked at a semi 17 since then but wouldn't mind having another one.
Capt. Augustus McCrae
AG
I have heard of people talking about 17 HMR, but I immediately brushed it off because the cost of ammo is so much more than 22.

Little guns are made for fun, and I don't see much of a benefit for paying 5-10x as much for ammo.
CactusThomas
AG
I love my savage fv-sr.

I also love my 10/22. Win win, OP.
EFE
AG
LOVE. My FVSR. Just put it in a Boyd's Pro Varmint and it is dead sexy.
CharlieBrown17
AG
22lr and 17HMR aren't comparable. They're so different I can't really even find a good ballistic table comparing the two.

Yes 17HMR is more expensive but you're getting 20-25gr at 2500+ fps instead of 36-40 gr at 1000 fps and way less drop

17HMR

22lr

TheEyeGuy
Sponsor
AG
ATX_AG_08 said:

TheEyeGuy said:

Great gun but you just won't get the accuracy. I nearly got an a17 but ended up with a Savage bull barrel bolt instead. Glad I did
PFG
AG
The answer is Tikka's new T3x rimfire.
CharlieBrown17
AG
PFG said:

The answer is Tikka's new T3x rimfire.

Rimfire is the T1x, should be a solid option though
CactusThomas
AG
If we're playing that game, then we can add a CZ 455 fs to the cart.
CharlieBrown17
AG
CactusThomas said:

If we're playing that game, then we can add a CZ 455 fs to the cart.
Yeah, I've pretty much decided on this 455

http://cz-usa.com/product/cz-455-varmint-tacticool-suppressor-ready-22-lr-16-bbl-5-rd-mag-black-laminate-stock/

Strongwind86
AG
Love to shoot the 22's...

I've got two 10/22's - one that I've built over the years and recently picked up a 10/22 takedown with a Gemtech Mist barrel. Way too much fun.

Actually got rid of my Savage Mark II FV-SR in favor of a Ruger American Rimfire Target. The Ruger is a better "fit" for me - more of a full size rifle. The Savage felt too "compact"... As an added bonus, all my Ruger 10/22 mags work in the American Rimfire Target rifle. Gun shoots lights out when you feed it decent ammo.
(The Ruger comes in 22LR, 22 WMR and 17 HMR)

Ruger American Rimfire

DayAg!
S
Thats a nice rifle Strong. I looked at the 455's too. I'm kinda like what you said about it being a full size gun feel. The 10/22 has that compact feel, but I never picked up one of the Savage's. But that Ruger is nice.
TheEyeGuy
Sponsor
AG
CZ 455 Varmint is what I'd roll with if I were wanting a bolt 22lr. It's very similar to my old 541T, which is my favorite gun period. Need to have dad bring that down in a couple weeks.
ATX_AG_08
AG
Thanks for the reply. Happy I went with the bolt then too.
ag0207
AG
Thanks a lot guys. I was on the fence about buying a Ruger 10/22 & after reading this I jumped on one & unfortunately bought a cz 455 varmit too.

I am taking a hiatus from gun buying for a while but now I need to properly outfit these guns. I have several 22's that are all open sights. Eyeguy & others what are some glass options for the cz? With the ruger I will probably change out the trigger eventually but what do y'all recommend on optics for it? Open sights or something else?

Main uses will be target shooting & probably small game occasionally. Cost preferably under $1000 (for 2 optics & trigger).
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.