Outdoors
Sponsored by

Selling 4 calves today.

3,365 Views | 18 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Na Zdraví 87
Allen76
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
At Union Commission in Hondo.

My new catch pen, that took up all of my spare time in Jan-Feb-March, worked perfectly. When I got back from church about 9:00 am, almost the entire herd was standing in the catch pen area. I just had to close the gate.

One gray/whitefaced heifer, and three bulls:

[url=https://imgur.com/oUJxRah][/url]

Later I was checking how bad the weeds are in my klein grass field, and found this. This is a nice clean field with no rocks. This was about ten feet into the field from the neighbors fence line. Maybe he through it at a snake ???

[url=https://imgur.com/KFrqml7][/url]

Could have done some damage to a hay cutter.
turk
AG
That rock looks interesting. Is it a big rock of flint? If so, an Indian might have dropped it. Or more likely, a knapper trespasser got spooked and left it there.
Spore Ag
Got a pik of your catch pen?
AgEng06
AG
That's a space peanut!

Allen76
AG
Yes it is a large flint rock.

I have to take pictures of the catch pen. It is a square 1.6 acres with two sets of two 16 foot gates... one set on each side facing the pasture. Pipe ends and corners and statite field fence on 7 ft T posts
Allen76
AG
Here is the sale data on those 4 calves. For anyone who wants to guess the weights, the largest one is in the center of the picture looking away (cannot see its white face), and the heifer is the gray with white face. The other two all black bulls are about the same.

[url=https://imgur.com/JRdATwF][/url]
DuckDown2013
AG
Good looking, calves! I would not have put those two bulls as 6 weights. Wish it was back to 2015 prices...but hey, I've seen far worse prices in the last 18 months than those!... You wouldn't get that kind of money for anything that isn't black here in Virginia!
FishingAggie
Dang. That's a lot of money. Think I'll get in the cattle business. Can I get 100 head in 20 acres with no grass?

Lol.

All I know about cows is I like them medium rare. I'd kill them all in a week if I was in charge. I rode one once. Just once

Nice sale though.
jakeaggie84
AG
Can you explain that invoice for the novice ranchers?? The weight isn't pounds is it? Would that be average prices or better?
AgEng06
AG
Weight is pounds. Price is $/100 lb (or cents/lb, either way).
jakeaggie84
AG
Makes sense, I wouldn't have guessed they were that heavy. I wondered why all the FFA kids had such trouble dragging a little calf around in the calf scrambles. Guess they are heavier than they look.
txyaloo
AG
jakeaggie84 said:

Makes sense, I wouldn't have guessed they were that heavy. I wondered why all the FFA kids had such trouble dragging a little calf around in the calf scrambles. Guess they are heavier than they look.
You may also see the term hundredweight or the abbreviation cwt. They're both the same and are how most livestock and crops are priced (cost per 100lbs)
wadd96
AG
Fair looking prices that Butter is getting down there... We saw some better prices in Lexington last month though... Hondo prices in line with what we saw at Hondo last month too... (Selling off two different places.)
All the God's, all the Heavens, all the Hells are within you.
GSS
East/Central TX trends... Beef Fax
NRA Life
TSRA Life
Na Zdraví 87
AG
Took 17 head to Lexington last Saturday. Still waiting on my check in the mail. I watched a little bit of the sale and prices were pretty good. Saw 3 young unexposed F1 heifers go through for $1,100 each.
Allen76
AG
wadd96 said:

Fair looking prices that Butter is getting down there... We saw some better prices in Lexington last month though... Hondo prices in line with what we saw at Hondo last month too... (Selling off two different places.)
That's great. I only take them there because it is close to me. I am afraid my truck might break down if I try to drive further. So I dont even consider selling elsewhere.

I have been watching their "Special Sale" dates. They are six times a year on the regular sale day. This was one. I don't have any proof but it seems that I do get a little bit better price on the "special sale" days. The last two times I sold were on those days and got similar prices and then the time before that was a regular day and prices were significantly lower. Yeah, it changes all the time. That's why I don't really have any concrete evidence but the results were fine by me.

hammerhead
Those prices are about the same/a bit less than what was selling at Giddings this past Monday. Took a slaughter cow and got $69.50 and she was 1260..was happy with that, was expecting about $50'ish.
wadd96
AG
Generally speaking, Pearsall has better pricing... but they sell on Wednesdays... so we haul to Hondo because I can get down there on the weekends to pen and ship on Sundays for the morning sale...

Plus, Dad went to high school with Butter... and really, he, Seth and Howard are good people...
All the God's, all the Heavens, all the Hells are within you.
Allen76
AG
and that's the other reason I sell at Hondo..... haul em Sunday for the Monday sale.
Na Zdraví 87
AG
Allen76 said:

and that's the other reason I sell at Hondo..... haul em Sunday for the Monday sale.
Yep, that's why we either haul to Lexington (Saturday sale) or Giddings (Monday sale). Both auctions are good in my opinion. We spread it between both.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.