Outdoors
Sponsored by

Garden Question

2,472 Views | 21 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by B-1 83
Ag_07
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Anybody dealt with ants in their raised beds? I've got a big bed in one the beds I haven't planted yet.

I don't really wanna put Ortho in my garden but how else do I get ride of these things so I can plant?
Humorous Username
AG
Bait?
Wycliffe
Coffee grounds have worked for me.
CanyonAg77
AG
Amdro
txags92
AG
Diatomaceous earth.
Jason Ag
AG
For organic gardening I've heard of people using a mixture of manure tea, orange oil, and molasses.

Personally I would use Beyer fire ant killer (white powder in a blue bottle sold at walmart/Lowe's). Disturb an area of their mound/colony, sprinkle about 1-2 table spoons directly on the disturbed area. Come back in a few days and shovel out the remaining powder and the soil right below it (more soil if it rained). I try to time it where it doesn't rain. Repeat as needed. Good luck!
Jason Ag
AG
txags92 said:

Diatomaceous earth.

I thought this is more for low humidity/moisture areas. I'm curious if you've successfully used it in a garden?
aggie orbitalwelder
Pour a pot of boiling water on it
txags92
AG
It is not a long term solution for sure, but there is no reason it won't work to clear out ants in a bed he wants to plant in. I have used it in trees growing in containers on my porch and had no problems. If all he is looking to do is get rid of the ants so he can plant, it should work just fine.
Ag83
AG
if you haven't planted in it yet, orange oil drench. If planted, spinosad.
zooguy96
I hear gasoline and fire works.
Ag_07
AG
zooguy96 said:

I hear gasoline and fire works.

It's ants not spiders
lotsofhp
AG
Orange oil and molasses works well. I use it all the time. Bob Webster talks about it all the time on his gardening show on KTSA here in San Antonio. Don't remember the exact formula but I just put a pretty heavy splash of oranage oil and a pretty good splash of molasses in a big plastic pitcher I have. Fill it with water (about a gallon) and drench the mound.

Start by concentrating in the center to try to get it down to the queen, then drench the whole mound.

Works great and it's organic.
SteveBott
AG
Question. Would leaving the nest help the garden against pests you don't want? Aphids etc.
AggieDruggist89
AG
CanyonAg77 said:

Amdro

That stuff wreaks....
ag_pete09
AG
I've used neem oil and spinosad (liquid and bait granules) with success. May have to repeat if they come back. It's not a permanent solution but it shouldn't hurt you either.
Ag_07
AG
Thanks for all the suggestions. And I'm not too concerned with the remedy being organic. I'm just not sure it was safe to dump ant killer in the garden.

Appreciate it fellas! OB always comes through
CanyonAg77
AG
AggieDruggist89 said:

CanyonAg77 said:

Amdro
That stuff wreaks....
Stinks? So what? It works.
ag_pete09
AG
Pretty sure if you read the amdro label it specifies not to use in gardens, etc.
Kenneth_2003
AG
aggieorbitalwelder said:

molten aluminum
lotsofhp
AG
Kenneth_2003 said:

aggieorbitalwelder said:

molten aluminum

Those things are neat
Doc Hayworth
I use a phrethrin mixed in water. Kills the whole mound in a matter of minutes and doesn't harm plants.
B-1 83
AG
CanyonAg77 said:

AggieDruggist89 said:

CanyonAg77 said:

Amdro
That stuff wreaks....
Stinks? So what? It works.
I believe he's thinking of Orthene. Amdro has no odor, and the label says not use it IN the garden.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.