Outdoors
Sponsored by

Hey Hammock campers...?

3,157 Views | 25 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by normaleagle05
Sean98
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
For those of you that hammock camp, what sort of quilt/insulation system do you use? Not a big problem in the summer, but when it's chilly how do you keep from freezing from underneath?
AggieChemist
AG
Foam pad and a sleeping bag rigged over/under the hammock. I'm too cheap to spend $200+ on a proper quilt
LRHF
AG
I have used a down sleeping bag (cotton exterior, WWII surplus) then a 20 F down bag when camping near car. Foam pad when backpacking but would have bought a quilt if still lived out West.

Almost sounds like you are planning an ultra lightweight sleeping arrangement for a solo elk scouting/ hunting trip! Almost that time of year when you forget about last seasons misery and start dreaming of the chase again
PooDoo
AG
Natural gas
Sean98
AG
I'm actually considering several scouting trips... One to the Dakotas, Saskatchewan, and Eastern Montana; another to Nebraska for prairie grouse, and possibly big game; one to Western Kansas for antelope; and possibly another to the mountains.

As much as anything I need a positive mental distraction from work so I'm thinking ahead to trips and making a mental list of mistakes or problems from last year. A better hammock quilt/system and a new hybrid bow sight are both high on the list of items to buy.
LRHF
AG
You have the hammock already acquired or picked out? It is a great way to camp, great for your back, easy and fast to pack up. I used a Vietnam era hammock through scouts then picked up a Clark when living in the 4 corners region. I think the quilt is a great idea for September camping when in the upper 20's/ low 30's when using a +/- 20 F bag.
Sean98
AG
I have a hammock already. It's not fancy but it works. I've hammock camped a few times. I would like one of those fancy hammocks with the foot box because I'm 6'4" and that leaves me a little curled sometimes. But generally if I can get in there diagonal it's not bad.
cupofjoe04
AG
I use an "insulated" (ie reflective) inflatable pad. It has rounded corners, which makes a world of difference in a hammock. I have a fleece bag (sort of a blanket but with a zipper like a sleeping bag) as well, that I will put around the pad as well if it's windy or really cold. Makes a huge difference. I've hung comfortable in lower 40's with that set up.

I've started using Tentsile tents now also... oh man, they are awesome! Hung it about 8" off the snow one time, so that when I got in it barely rested on the snow. Had a ground cloth between the snow and my Tentsile floor- then just a pad and a sleeping bag. Awesome insulation.
reddog90
AG
UGQ 30* under a WBBB and a 30* bag inside unzipped as a TQ. But I sold that setup.
suprafly03
AG
I have a Jacks R Better underquilt.

I use a sleeping bag for an over quilt.

All down.

When it gets really cold at home, I throw that underquilt on top of me and the wife. Makes for a comfortable sleep.
Sean98
AG
reddog90 said:

UGQ 30* under a WBBB and a 30* bag inside unzipped as a TQ. But I sold that setup.
So many acronyms!! You work for the gub'mint!??
La Fours
AG
I'm interested in knowing more as well. Over the past year, since my son joined Boy Scouts, I also joined as an assistant scoutmaster and have been camping with just my hammock. My son got a hammock for Christmas and so I'm looking for rain fly suggestions and under quilt suggestions.
reddog90
AG
https://ugqoutdoor.com
https://www.warbonnetoutdoors.com/product/blackbird-xlc/
Sean98
AG
Very helpful. Never in a million years would I have guessed all those acronyms.

Thank you.
La Fours
AG
What is everyone's current hammock set up? I have a Castaway double that I bought at Sams on a whim. It's been good so far.
cupofjoe04
AG
I have one with a built in bug net- bought at Academy years ago. They no longer carry it. But it looks exactly like the one pictored below. Has been a wonderful hammock. Have probably 30+ nights in it over the years.

I have an ENO double bear for casual hags. Basic, but hard to go wrong.

The last 2 years I have been hanging with friends in a Tentsile Stingray. Got it unopened super cheap from someone. It is absolutely amazing. Have had myself, my wife, and 3 little kids in it before, no probs. All the cousins can pile in it in the back yard and watch stars or a movie. Too heavy for backpacking- though a friend and I did haul it 6 miles back in on a fishing trip.

Now I have a Flite+ as well. It is an AWESOME 1 person hang. Can keep all my gear in it with me, and I can lay perfectly flat. It can fit 2 full sized men (if you are under 6'2" or so), but that's about it. Not bad with 2 people... best if you know each other pretty well. You won't roll on top of each other, but you do play footsy at night a little. Perfect for a married couple.

Woods Ag
AG
Check out enlightenedequipment.com. They have underquilts for hammocks as well as regular quilts.

I have a 20 degree, 950 down revelation xwide quilt. It's amazing. Highly recommend if you want to spend that kind of money on a good quilt.
SandyHookVA
AG
https://i.imgur.com/eJbfua8.jpg

10x12 hex tarp with doors, 10 degree 3/4 under quilt with 20 degree top quilt, all DIY. Comfortable to mid teens, ok in single digits, but chilly. I've used egg crate foam and/or a Thermarest Prolite into the low 20's with no problem.

Don't underestimate the effect of keeping the wind off you.

https://i.imgur.com/HUytOMd.jpg
La Fours
AG
Would you mind sharing the materials and instructions for how you made the quilts and tarps?
La Fours
AG
Another question, what cord do y'all use for rigging up a rain fly/tarp? Maybe the para cord I bought was cheap and had too much stretch.
SandyHookVA
AG
With the exception of the down, the materials were all purchased from RipStopByTheRoll.com For tarps, I generally follow the plans included with their tarp kits. I add cord locs to the tie outs, and tweak the dimensions, but basically follow their directions. I've used their kit once, but just freehand it now.

I prefer the XL sil poly material RSBTR sells for tarps. The winter tarp pictured weighs ~ 18 oz with stakes, stuff sack and cordage. (I've made...five tarps...in various configurations....I might have a problem....)

For the under quilt, I followed the directions here. Tweaked it for a 3/4 length and made it a little wider. Next one will be narrower and full length.

http://www.instructables.com/id/Down-Hammock-Underquilt-Ultralight-20F/

For the top quilt...I made it up as I went along. I had an Hammockgear quilt to use as a reference, and experience building the underquilt and several synthetic quilts. There's a lot of tutorials for down quilts on hammockforums.net, backpackinglight and reddit. Construction-wise, a top and underquilt aren't that different.

Hammock is made from RSBTR's 1.2 oz fabric with an adjustable ridgeline. Lots of tutorials on hammockforums.net

Happy to share more specific info if you want.
SandyHookVA
AG
I use this method with regular 550 paracord from Home Depot for the ridgeline tieouts. I use a prussick knot and an s-biner for adjustability, but never have had a problem with stretching

https://i1.wp.com/theultimatehang.com/wp-content/uploads/sites/2/2012/09/Pitching-A-Hammock-Tarp.jpg?ssl=1

For ground level tieouts, I use this stuff -> https://dutchwaregear.com/product/mini-spools/
La Fours
AG
Great info. Thanks. Did you use a regular sewing machine?
SandyHookVA
AG
La Fours said:

Yes - just a regular home machine. Nothing fancy, no touch screens, embroidery functions, etc.
La Fours
AG
SandyHookVA said:

La Fours said:

Yes - just a regular home machine. Nothing fancy, no touch screens, embroidery functions, etc.
Excellent. Sounds like I may have some new projects for Mrs. La Fours soon.
shiftyandquick
How do y'all sleep like a folded up taco? I gave up after 5 minutes.
normaleagle05
AG
shiftyandquick said:

How do y'all sleep like a folded up taco? I gave up after 5 minutes.

You're doing it wrong. Get askew to the hanging axis of the hammock and you'll lay flat and comfy.

Eta: Which I'll be doing for three nights this weekend!
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.