Outdoors
Sponsored by

Birds of no interest (cedar waxwing)

3,257 Views | 16 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Oruc Reis
HECUBUS
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG

Cedar waxwing
They visit for juniper and yaupon berries about this time every year. I never noticed the red wax before I got these photos to help the wife ID.
$3 Sack of Groceries
AG
I predict this thread won't get as much traffic as the snake thread. Just a hunch.
docb
AG
Cool little birds. I also see them come through my office once a year and devour my yaupon berries. Fun to watch.
SanAntoneAg
AG
Maker's Mark
aggiedent
AG
They are cool birds. This thread would get more traffic if half the forum had a wet-your-pants irrational fear of birds, like they do snakes.

Sometimes I think the forum is mis-named. I guess "Everthing in the Outdoors Frightens Me, How Do We Kill It?" Is a bit long for a forum title.
Aston 91
AG
Last year about this time I was walking my dog near a building with reflective glass at the edge of our neighborhood. A huge flock of cedar waxwings flew out of two trees near the building, and it appeared the flock in the tree closest to the building got redirected by the flock in the other tree. The mirrored glass and simultaneous departure of the two flocks caused mass casualties. Over 30 birds hit the building and dropped, and 28 were dead when I came back a few hours later to check. Kind of a bummer to see when you're just out walking your dog. Not sure what feasted that night but there were substantially fewer carcasses the next morning, so at least they didn't all go to waste.
WC87
AG
just like the waxwing bird, sings a song sounds like she's singing ooo oooo oooo

$3 Sack of Groceries
AG
About 15 years ago I was living in Dallas and dating a Cuban girl who happened to love Cedar Waxwings, they were her favorite bird.
One particular Saturday I went to pick her up for a date. On my way there 10 or so little birds had flown right in front of my car as I was doing about 40 on a side street. I didnt noticeably hit one. We'll, I didn't think I did until I was walking her from her house back out to my car and she spies a dead bird lodged in the grill of my car. And sure as the world, it was a GD cedar waxwing. Got cock blocked by God pretty good that night.
Hehateme1
WC87 said:

just like the waxwing bird, sings a song sounds like she's singing ooo oooo oooo

You make a me raff !!
Badace52
AG
I like the Bohemian Waxwing a little more, but they don't make it down to Texas most of the time...

Cedar waxwing for comparison:

CM
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Kjodie
Don't park under a juniper in the winter. They eat those berries and **** all over your truck.

Pretty bird though.
I.Y.A.C.Y.A.S. '91
Allen76
AG
Those were our favorite prey this time of year for little boys with BB guns.
87Flyfisher
AG
When I was a kid a whole flock of Cedar Waxwings got drunk on fermented Pyracantha berries. They sat and walked around our front yard for several hours until they sobered up enough to fly away. Made a big impression on me.
CanyonAg77
AG
Pretty cool little birds, great photos.
TX AG 88
AG
cedar waxwings are very pretty birds, but rarely seen around here (San Antonio)

One of my favorites that I do see is the Carolina Wren

We used to live on Lake Placid in Seguin and my wife liked to sleep in on the weekend. These little suckers had different ideas. For a small bird, they can be LOUD! And there were a ton of them.

They're very curious and they crack me up 'cause they're so hyper-kinetic. "Sitting still" has no meaning to them, 'cause they're always bobbing their head and dipping their tail, even when "sitting still." I used to sit out on my balcony with a laptop and play carolina wren songs off the internet to mess with them. A pair had nested in one of our hanging plants, so I sat at the other end of the balcony and played them their "teakettle" song. They got really interested in me then and absolutely freaked when I played their agitated "alert" buzzing song.

https://www.allaboutbirds.org/guide/Carolina_Wren/sounds
Badace52
AG
I love wrens. They let you get so close and will hang around for a long time if you don't move too quickly around them. Not really the prettiest bird but great little personalities.
CM
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Sgt. Hartman
AG
Glad I was not the only one.
Oruc Reis
AG
Gorgeous birds but their poo is the worst
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.