Outdoors
Sponsored by

Need a bunch of 5 gallon trees

2,964 Views | 22 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by rancher1953
allMondjoy
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Trying to grow a privacy line of mixed trees and yaupon to cut down on line of sight from roadway.
Looking for quick growing white oak, water oak, ash and some type of elm (cedar or lace bark).
Any body know a grower in SE Texas area? Appreciate any help.

Aggiedad
birddog7000
AG
How many do you need? Bare-root seedlings might be a better option, and they will not be far behind 5 gallon trees.
barnag
Cheaper too
giddings_ag_06
AG
Missy Oak Nativ Nurseries. I've bought a lot of various trees from them in the last year (like 36 trees) and all have done great except about 6, 4 of which cows stomped. Lots of variety and you'll get top quality seedlings. All were 18-24" tall and in great condition. And their trees are $4-8 each. Can't beat it and buy the tree tubes to go with them.
barnag
Yes, buy the tree tubes. VERY important
will.mcg
AG
Tried oleander?
GottaRide
S
will.mcg said:

Tried oleander?

I once hauled off the carcasses of some heifers that did.
allMondjoy
Thanks! Misty Oak Native Nursery looks like the route for me.
Aggiedad
allMondjoy
Sorry, it's Mossy Oak Nativ Nurseries. Good price and impressive.
Aggiedad
two1993ags
ArborGen in Livingston. But you're probably too late for this year. They are most likely sold out...talk to Lux Davis if you call them.
two1993ags
You have to buy a decent quantity but they are very inexpensive...about $0.70 a seedling.
college of AG
AG
what seedlings does arborgen usually have?
two1993ags
Most trees native to Texas plus a few introduced that do well. I've ordered 100s of thousands of seedlings from them over the past 25 years. How many trees are you looking for and what part of state? If only 20
To 50 you may be better going with 3-5 gallon material. Most likely have to order couple hundred if you go with ArborGen.
college of AG
AG
prob want 50-100. thiinking assorted pecan, oaks, maples,maybe some fruit trees.

local to Livingston..
reveille23
Giddings, how much does one of these seedlings grow in a year? Very interested in this route, but want to know what kind of time I am looking at before these trees will actually provide any sort of privacy?
allMondjoy
Reveille, go on Mossy Oak Nativ website and view planting/growing advice videos. Amazing results 2-3 years.
I recently ordered Bottomland pkg (24 assorted quick growing oaks) $70 + shipping.
Tube system is amazing for high rate of survival.
Aggiedad
reveille23
That is a hell of a deal!!! Looking at the game keeper package, you can't really go wrong with 20 trees for 70 bucks!
giddings_ag_06
AG
reveille23 said:

Giddings, how much does one of these seedlings grow in a year? Very interested in this route, but want to know what kind of time I am looking at before these trees will actually provide any sort of privacy?
Mine haven't been planted a full year yet, but I'll do a write up with pictures in the spring when I see how many are alive and leafing out. They grow at roughly the same rate any other pin oak or whatever you buy and plant would, however if you put the tree tubes around them they seem to grow a little quicker (I've heard and seen that) and stay a lot more protected and establish quicker. Unless you go and spend $75 on a bigger tree at a nursery, you're still going to be a few years away from them providing "privacy", however the cost savings are significant and you get a lot of options and a great product from Mossy Oak. Every tree I ordered looked great when I got them 2 days later. Whatever the "average" growth is for whatever tree you order is, I'd expect that growth at a minimum and honestly expect a good bit more per year. It's nature though, so you'll just have to wait and see.

Going forward, Nativ Nurseries is too cheap for the excellent quality they have for me to buy from anywhere else. I can get 6 trees with tubes for the price of one bigger tree from a Lowe's or Home Depot and just wait a few years for them to grow to the same size. It's worth it to me.
giddings_ag_06
AG
Here's a few teaser pics of one of my tree orders.

reveille23
Usual, this board ends up costing me money. But in this case Giddings has saved me a boat load of money. I had been looking at 5 gallon trees and dreading going out to get all the trees we want. Now I can spend what I would on two trees and get 20. And if they grow as well as I am seeing on their site and other places I have looked I will be FAR ahead.

Thank you, fine sir!!!
giddings_ag_06
AG
reveille23 said:

Usual, this board ends up costing me money. But in this case Giddings has saved me a boat load of money. I had been looking at 5 gallon trees and dreading going out to get all the trees we want. Now I can spend what I would on two trees and get 20. And if they grow as well as I am seeing on their site and other places I have looked I will be FAR ahead.

Thank you, fine sir!!!
You'll come out ahead as long as you don't need something right big now and have a little time. Get a variety and mix and match. Buy some fertilizer to jump start the growth. And the Scarlet Red Oaks are awesome trees. As well as burr oaks (can't say for sure if the Mastadon burr oaks are any better than the regular, but either is a great choice). Let us know what you end up with.
Sean98
AG
So if I'm seeing that right they are very small containerized potted trees? Not bare root?

I've planted quite a bit of trees/shrubs over the past 5 years (not 1000s like some have, maybe more like 40-60 per year). Because I've staggered it out I've mixed up my exact planting type/style/caging/tubing/etc.

I will say that my trees in tubes grow much quicker than those not in tubes. That said, my deer have learned that tubes = food. ...and tubes = crinkly loud noises that the young bucks really love in the fall. So a bit of a catch 22 because my deer now "target" the tree tubes. Even some understory trees (paw paws) that I have scattered through the understory and away from any noticeable deer travel routes. Also be warned that wasps like to build nests inside the tree tubes. Not a huge deal, but the raccoons LOVE wasp larvae. They will climb up the tree tubes until they collapse and then try to fish out the wasp nest.

To that end I would HIGHLY recommend that you stake the tree tubes with PVC. In some early iterations I used the bamboo stakes and they do not withstand the full on assault (or even a half-hearted assault) by a yearling buck learning the joys of rubbing his antlers, nor will they bear the weight of a fat ass coon.

I have used Forestry Suppliers for tree tubes in the past and have been very happy with the results. Then I just buy 1/2" PVC from a local store and cut it as needed.

I will say in general that you are better going 1 foot taller than you think you need. Also, understand that the tree tubes will cause faster upright growth of the tree, with the height outgrowing the lower stability. In other words you'll need to keep the tree staked for quite a while. It'll be too tall and weak in the lower trunk to survive any kind of decent wind storm if you pull the tree tube/stake after a few years. You should really leave the tube in place and allow the tree trunk to grow out and "fill up" the tube before it is removed.
giddings_ag_06
AG
Sean98 said:

So if I'm seeing that right they are very small containerized potted trees? Not bare root?

I've planted quite a bit of trees/shrubs over the past 5 years (not 1000s like some have, maybe more like 40-60 per year). Because I've staggered it out I've mixed up my exact planting type/style/caging/tubing/etc.

I will say that my trees in tubes grow much quicker than those not in tubes. That said, my deer have learned that tubes = food. ...and tubes = crinkly loud noises that the young bucks really love in the fall. So a bit of a catch 22 because my deer now "target" the tree tubes. Even some understory trees (paw paws) that I have scattered through the understory and away from any noticeable deer travel routes. Also be warned that wasps like to build nests inside the tree tubes. Not a huge deal, but the raccoons LOVE wasp larvae. They will climb up the tree tubes until they collapse and then try to fish out the wasp nest.

To that end I would HIGHLY recommend that you stake the tree tubes with PVC. In some early iterations I used the bamboo stakes and they do not withstand the full on assault (or even a half-hearted assault) by a yearling buck learning the joys of rubbing his antlers, nor will they bear the weight of a fat ass coon.

I have used Forestry Suppliers for tree tubes in the past and have been very happy with the results. Then I just buy 1/2" PVC from a local store and cut it as needed.

I will say in general that you are better going 1 foot taller than you think you need. Also, understand that the tree tubes will cause faster upright growth of the tree, with the height outgrowing the lower stability. In other words you'll need to keep the tree staked for quite a while. It'll be too tall and weak in the lower trunk to survive any kind of decent wind storm if you pull the tree tube/stake after a few years. You should really leave the tube in place and allow the tree trunk to grow out and "fill up" the tube before it is removed.

They have bare root seedlings also, but the Rapid Mast are a much better and safer option in my opinion.

The tubes they send you are fairly sturdy and they also send you PVC as a stake. The tubes are like 4' tall which keeps the trees completely covered for the first probably two years I'm going to guess. I haven't ever had an issue with deer messing with them, however I did have cows knock a few tubes over the very first day (those are the only trees that may not make it).

A trick to keeping cows off that I did (would work on deer to I bet) was mix some cayenne pepper in water then pour it on the outside of the tubes. Make sure the pepper is visible and stays on. I had one tube nudged the next day and nothing touched since then. I think they've learned to not mess with my trees after that first day...

I've heard the tubes are good on the trees for 2-3 years before you could take them off, but never heard the "lower stability" issue. Personally, I'm not worried about that and think they will be fine. I may pull one or two tubes off this year just to compare them to trees that are in tubes for a few years.
rancher1953
Thanks so much for this thread. I find this info. to be what I have been looking for the past few years. My place has a lot of post oak trees and they are dying thinks to hypoxylon canker. Anyone want trees in the yard for landscaping or around the ranch for wildlife should visit this site and learn. I have just placed my order thanks again for the replies and info. Keep it coming, this is what being an aggie is about.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.