Outdoors
Sponsored by

Getting Amazon to Deliver to a Rural Address

10,952 Views | 18 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Mookie
TexasAggie2006
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
We've got a piece of property that we spend close to 20 weekends at a year. We've owned it for about 2.5 years and cannot get Amazon, UPS or FedEx to deliver there (haven't tried USPS as we don't list it as an address to send any correspondence to).

How do I get these services to deliver to a completely legitimate (and marked) address? Hoping some of y'all might have figured out the solution at a place you've got.
ComeAndTakeIt
USPS delivers most Amazon packages. When I built our home in the country, I spoke to the local post office and got the mailman's phone number. We met and he helped picked the mailbox location.

You could probably do the same and just let the mailman know you are setting the mailbox for Amazon deliveries only.
DriftwoodAg
AG
you can also find out who the driver is that services your route with UPS/Fedex and talk to them about packages
DriftwoodAg
AG
DrippinAggie said:

USPS delivers most Amazon packages. When I built our home in the country, I spoke to the local post office and got the mailman's phone number. We met and he helped picked the mailbox location.

You could probably do the same and just let the mailman know you are setting the mailbox for Amazon deliveries only.
I wouldn't say most, ours are about 50/50 USPS and Fedex. Most of the large packages to our house are Fedex
MouthBQ98
AG
I have a mailbox and a gate. Inside the gate I built a "delivery shed" out of sight from the road but visible from the gate and marked it so. They leave my packages there.

You need to talk to USPS about having a mailing address set up, and possibly your county as well, as E911 typically assigns street address numbers.
DevilYack
AG
From my experience, it's really difficult. I have struggled getting packages delivered to my folks' place, where they have lived since 1986, even after multiple calls to UPS.

My latest attempt involves detailed instructions on Amazon's order form: 100 yds down Burnet Rd, turn off the paved road onto the caliche road; drive to the black metal gate; push buzzer for entrance ...

Last package made it, but they historically run about 60%, so we'll see.
RCR06
AG
If you get USPS to recognize the address the others will too. May take a while to get them to find you. Our current jobsite has no physical address so it's been a battle with usps, ups and FedEx. The best I was able to come up with was they hold my packages and I pick them up from their office.
saltydog13
AG
We just had this issue with amazon not delivering to us. Spoke with an amazon rep and the situation got resolved fairly quickly
eric76
AG
A lot depends on the driver.

There was one UPS driver for a while who would look for my younger brother's pickup at the office whenever he had a package for him. He would leave the package underneath the seat and mark it as delivered.

Sometimes my brother wouldn't find the packages until a week or more later even when it was critical that it be delivered on time.

One time when he had a package for my oldest brother, he tossed the package on the back of the fuel trailer in the field. I think it was a month or two later before he found the package. Fortunately, it was parts that he didn't need immediately and that rain didn't harm them.

Fortunately, that driver is long gone. The ones we have now are pretty conscientious. One of them grew up in the area and knows where everyone lives anyway.

One time I was waiting for a couple of computer monitors to be delivered by Federal Express. For several days, their web site said they were out for delivery, but they were never delivered. Then it changed to say that they were undeliverable and being sent back to the shipper. I got on the phone and got them to make a special trip from Amarillo to bring them to my office that night!
eric76
AG
I don't know what service it was (definitely not the regular UPS or Fed Ex), but SWB placed an order for something from my office about 11 pm on a Saturday night and it was delivered about 4 or 5 am on Sunday morning by a delivery service. I assume that it came from a depot in Amarillo.
aggiedent
AG
If all else fails you can get a box at the nearest post office.
coyote68
Call your county and get a 911 address for your property. Put up a mail box and send yourself some mail.

I don't know how often Amazon, UPS, etc update their databases, but if you have a 911 address and are getting mail, eventually they will find you.
coyote68
You have to have a 911 address!
TexasAggie2006
AG
Thanks, guys. I'll check in to the 911 address route.

Does anyone have a contact for Amazon that could take care of updating us after we get the 911 address set up? Nothing showing up on their site when I checked.
txyaloo
AG
TexasAggie2006 said:

Thanks, guys. I'll check in to the 911 address route.

Does anyone have a contact for Amazon that could take care of updating us after we get the 911 address set up? Nothing showing up on their site when I checked.
jeff@amazon.com

Explain your issue. The executive services team should be able to take care of it. Don't waste time with the call center
helloag99
Another thing I have run into is you have to have a habitable structure to get mail. I tried getting mail while we weee building our house and usps would not have it.

Gunny456
AG
We live in a very rural area. 25.5 miles from the nearest town of an size. We have lived on the ranch since 1995. You have to have a 911 address and you must have normal mail delivery. I ran my business out of our house and never had an issue with Fed Ex or UPS. We are the only mailbox for miles but our mail lady does the same route everyday. We had to contact the regional offices of Fed Ex and UPS and prove to them we were residents of the county and not absentee landowners who did not actually live there. My neighbor does not live on his ranch and even though he has a 911 address he does not get mail everyday, consequently Fed Ex and UPS will not deliver anything to him. Our mailbox is about a mile from our house but Fed Ex and UPS will bring packages right to the gate by our house. When we first moved and built our house on the ranch the county tax office told us how to go about getting these services. It helps to build a report with the drivers and distribution offices as well.
rwv2055
AG
I lived on a ranch in Kenedy county for 8 years. There was no mail delivery to our ranch. They still don't have 911 addresses there. My drivers license just had the name of the ranch as my address, but we still got ups deliverys. We just used #1 (name of ranch) as our address and made sure the ups guy knew where we lived and had the codes for the gate. We were 8 miles or so from a public rd. We got ups delivery's just fine.
techno-ag
AG
Had a buddy who built on raw land, took a year for the house to get built. Nice neighbor let him use their address for deliveries until he finally got into the system.
Mookie
AG
IS There an amazon locker nearby? Maybe in the closest town? Locker locations are posted on amazons website, I have sent things to one by my house when I know I'm going to be out of town in the delivery window.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.