Outdoors
Sponsored by

New to AR15 - Simple images to help

13,429 Views | 37 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by javajaws
LoudestWHOOP!
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I know most people already know about AR15, but I am new to them so I thought I would put up some images that helped me to understand some things about them.

AR15

AR15 Major Parts

Lower Major Parts

Lower Parts Kit

Buffer parts (go into Lower Receiver)

Pistol buffer with a "Blade" brace

Rifle and Carbine buffer tube and stocks

Upper Major parts

Upper diagram

Bolt Carrier parts

AR15 vs M16 Bolt

What are M4 ramps?

Ejection Angle

Barrel length and Gas length

Barrel length and Velocity

Barrel length and PSI

Barrel length with Muzzle velocity and muzzle energy

Barrel length with Pressure dwell and velocity

Direct impingement or piston?

Pistol vs Short Barrel Rifle (SBR) The SBR requires an ATF stamp

Pistol tube vs Pistol with a brace (Both are pistols)

That should be enough to get started with illustrations of many things discussed about AR15s
Post more if you have some
tlh3842
AG
Lots of solid information there. Good post.
aTm2004
AG
Well, this should be a sticky.
Eliminatus
AG
Good info!

I wouldn't consider myself a noob and still can't remember the lower parts kits names of all the parts. Also had never seen the ejection direction graph like that. Very useful to help diagnose issues.
DV04
Van Buren Boy
AG
Where's the shoulder thingy that goes up?
Tx-Ag2010
AG
Also left out the bullet button...
LoudestWHOOP!
AG
Tx-Ag2010 said:

Also left out the bullet button...
I thought this was TexAgs not CalAgs, but here...

Bullet Button - to release the mag with the aid of a tool or tip of a bullet
lb3
AG
LoudestWHOOP!
AG
Not a picture, but something I have wondered about Buffer tubes (found online)

Quote:

These measurements are from the rear face of the receiver, to the rear-most tip of the tubes...

Carbine Comm-spec. - 7 5/8"
Carbine Mil-spec. - 6 3/4"
A1/A2 - 9 5/8"
"entry length"/UBR/Ace pistol tube - 7 1/8"

give or take 1/16" on these measurements. I didn't feel like breaking out the calipers.

DatTallArchitect
AG
Like this:
LoudestWHOOP!
AG

I found this from 2014, is all of this still correct?
AG
I went to a camp years ago that taught me about the weapon system. I find a link.
AG
get paid to learn about the M16 rifle system
The Wonderer
AG
LoudestWHOOP! said:

I found this from 2014, is all of this still correct?
Yes
LoudestWHOOP!
AG
This is a 10" barrelled Pistol and rules about possible modifications (as of 2014)

ATF needs there money now...

CSTXAg92
AG
Great post OP.
always gig em
Daddy-O5
aggie67,74&76
BCO07
AG
Wait, you can put an afg on a pistol?
The Wonderer
AG
BCO07 said:

Wait, you can put an afg on a pistol?

Yes. Just don't go vertical and you're fine.
MGS
At what angle does it become vertical? 90 degrees? Do ATF agents carry protractors?
jobu93
AG
this should be a sticky.
The Wonderer
AG
MGS said:

At what angle does it become vertical? 90 degrees? Do ATF agents carry protractors?
Generally speaking, IIRC, if you can stick your thumb through it and wrap your hand around the front post and be able to close your hand to make a fist, then it is a vertical grip in the eyes of the ATF.
LoudestWHOOP!
AG
In the pictures of the Pistol in different configurations above.
What would an AR15 lower built as a pistol, combined with an carbine/rifle upper that has a 16"+ barrel be considered?
It would still be a Pistol right?
The Wonderer
AG
LoudestWHOOP! said:

In the pictures of the Pistol in different configurations above.
What would an AR15 lower built as a pistol, combined with an carbine/rifle upper that has a 16"+ barrel be considered?
It would still be a Pistol right?
It would be a pistol as configured in your hypo. You can take a virgin lower (never fully assembled into a functional weapon) that was originally built as a pistol and change the upper to 16+" and put a stock on it and it is legal as rifle. Build a virgin lower into a rifle and it can only ever be a rifle.

A pistol can become a rifle and back to a pistol. A rifle can never be a pistol. The designation of the lower is established upon the first mating of a functioning lower to a functioning upper to create a functioning firearm capable of firing a projectile.

IBT "but the ATF will never know what it was first" comments. Stop, just stop. That is what the law is. Feel free to skirt it to your heart's content. Personally, I take photos of the build as a pistol to date stamp it. I don't mess around with potential federal firearm felonies.

ETA: I read your hypo wrong. Lower with no stock and 16+" upper is a still a pistol. Correction made to first sentence.
LoudestWHOOP!
AG
The Wondere said:

It would be a rifle as configured in your hypo, but the lower would have a pistol designation assigned to it (not registered, but abstractly if that makes sense). You can take a virgin lower (never fully assembled into a functional weapon) that was originally built as a pistol and change the upper to 16+" and put a stock on it and it is legal. Build a virgin lower into a rifle and it can only ever be a rifle.

A pistol can become a rifle and back to a pistol. A rifle can never be a pistol. The designation of the lower is established upon the mating of a functioning lower to a functioning upper to create a functioning firearm capable of firing a projectile.

IBT "but the ATF will never know what it was first" comments. Stop, just stop. That is what the law is. Feel free to skirt it to your heart's content. Personally, I take photos of the build as a pistol to date stamp it. I don't mess around with potential federal firearm felonies.
Thank you.

My main takeaways bolded above or listed below...
1) A virgin lower built as a pistol is legal with any length barrelled upper. (?)
2) Build a virgin lower into a pistol and it can go to and from a rifle and pistol, but take dated photos of pistol first.
The Wonderer
AG
LoudestWHOOP! said:

The Wondere said:

It would be a rifle as configured in your hypo, but the lower would have a pistol designation assigned to it (not registered, but abstractly if that makes sense). You can take a virgin lower (never fully assembled into a functional weapon) that was originally built as a pistol and change the upper to 16+" and put a stock on it and it is legal. Build a virgin lower into a rifle and it can only ever be a rifle.

A pistol can become a rifle and back to a pistol. A rifle can never be a pistol. The designation of the lower is established upon the mating of a functioning lower to a functioning upper to create a functioning firearm capable of firing a projectile.

Thank you.

My main takeaways bolded above or listed below...
1) A virgin lower built as a pistol is legal with any length barrelled upper. (?)
2) Build a virgin lower into a pistol and it can go to and from a rifle and pistol, but take dated photos of pistol first.
1. Yes.
2. Yes. You don't have to take photos, but why not take a few seconds to provide yourself with some crucial evidence in the remote chance you ever need it? I have a gun file in my cloud that has my inventory of arms and pictures of my pistol builds (files are date and GPS tagged) along with my executed NFA trust paperwork and my tax stamps all saved so they can be accessed from anywhere in the event I need them.
LoudestWHOOP!
AG
Afraid of assuming, but I assume you can use one pistol upper for multiple virgin built up pistol lowers in the photos or must it be 1 to 1?

The Wonderer
AG
LoudestWHOOP! said:

Afraid of assuming, but I assume you can use one pistol upper for multiple virgin built up pistol lowers in the photos or must it be 1 to 1?

Honestly don't know as I've never thought to look it up, but I think so long as you can complete a rifle and pistol separately with the parts you have, I don't believe the number of different length uppers matter. I have three lowers (pistol, SBR, rifle) and four <16" lowers and two 16" uppers. Just be cautious of constructive possession if you only have a rifle-configured lower and <16" uppers.
LoudestWHOOP!
AG
Barrel twist rate

Could not find this in a graphic but it is an article about Chrome Moly Chrome lined barrels vs Stainless.
Link to AR15 barrel materials Pro and Con

Quote:

Chrome-Lined Barrels
Pros
Corrosion Resistance.
Extended Barrel Life.
Ease of Cleaning.

Cons
Long-range accuracy

Stainless Steel Barrels
Pros
Long-range accuracy

Cons
Barrel wears out faster
Not as easy to clean
Mr. Dubi
Silencer:
Mr. Dubi
Loudener:

LoudestWHOOP!
AG
Forwardener
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.