Outdoors
Sponsored by

Seasoning cast iron

2,640 Views | 23 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by agent-maroon
lotsofhp
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Got a lodge 12" cast iron pan. I seasonsed it by coating it in olive oil and putting it in the over for 1 hour at 350 and letting cool in the oven.

Now I'm reading more and it looks like I should have used flaxseed oil and set the oven much higher. I saw one thing online that said 1 hour.

Do I need to steel wool the pan back down and start over? Or can I just put flaxseed oil on top of what I've got?

How does TexAgs season their cast iron?
The Fife
Olive oil, then cook a whole bunch of bacon over a campfire.
elnaco
AG
Oilve oil should be fine, but I usually use plain old vegetable oil. I would definitely go hotter though. I usually season mine at 450F for 30 minutes. Make sure you don't have any pools of oil anywhere or else you'll get tacky spots.
Col. Steve Austin
AG
http://sherylcanter.com/wordpress/2010/01/a-science-based-technique-for-seasoning-cast-iron/
BlueSmoke
Followed those exact instructions provided in the link above - worked very well. I've also known people to strip the pot down completely with oven cleaner, grind with a disk, and then go this route. Personally, I never saw the need. And I cook eggs in mine all the time with minimal sticking/clumping.
agfan2013
AG
https://texags.com/forums/34/topics/2841918

A good thread we have that's been going on for awhile. Lots of good info.
Bitter Old Man
AG
I thought Lodge pans were pre-seasoned...

Olive/vegetable oils aren't great for seasoning. The best is Flax Seed Oil (related to linseed) as it actually drys hard and withstands high heat.
BoozerRed78
AG
My two cents:
* These days, cast iron cookware is made using molds made of sand - that's why they have a rough, grainy texture inside and out. So sanding/grinding the inside has nothing to do with removing factory seasoning, and everything to do with establishing a smoother surface on the inside. The technique works well.
* Having read so much about flaxseed oil, I decided to try it. I guess those experts are right... it works great, for getting an initial seasoning established.
* I still believe that time and regular use works best. And you don't have to actually use it to get regular use out of it. Just keep it in the oven. Every time you use the oven for something else, it'll get "used", and you'll get buildup.
Snow Monkey Ambassador
AG
Quote:

Since lard is traditional but no longer readily available . . .
Yeah, no.
Log
AG
Strip it down with yellow easy off in a plastic trash bag overnight, then start over with Crisco. Also look for the big cast-iron thread where we answered a bunch of this.
Waterski02
AG
I just reseasoned a old pan, a new cast iron griddle, and two new steel griddles with Flaxseed oil. So far worth the money. The old pan has never takeen much of a seasoning and is holding up well. The new cast griddle cooks great for a low quality griddle.
Log
AG
Another way to do it: render down brisket trimmings for lard. Beef cracklings afterwards.
Bitter Old Man
AG
Lard is Pig Fat, you may be doing your brisket wrong....
rlb28
AG
Everything you need to know
91AggieLawyer
AG
Read the thread, but cliffnotes:

Step 1:
Quote:

Strip it down with yellow easy off in a plastic trash bag overnight,

Step 2: Scrub with a pad and soap, then cold water/vinager rinse, then go IMMEDIATELY to Step 3

Step 3: Preheat pan to 200 in oven, coat with Crisco and WIPE (very thin coating) then put in oven at 300 for an hour, and 400 for an hour. Will probably smoke a little.

Step 4: Let cool and repeat step 3 at least 4 times. Then you can use but repeat first part of Step 3 every time (200 and coat) you use the pan for the first 6 mos to a year.

My pan I started in May is coming along well.
Finn Maccumhail
AG
I've seen a lot of recs on here and elsewhere to use flaxseed oil to season your cast iron and I've looked all over the grocery store without finding anything marked flaxseed oil- where the hell is it located in most stores?

Because I don't see it with the olive oil, vegetable oil, etc.
ShaggyAggie01
AG
Amazon

never seen it in a normal grocery store, may find it in Whole foods, but probably not as cheap as amazon.
Bitter Old Man
AG
No, at HEB they keep it in the "Healthy Living" (Vitamins, Bulk nuts, etc) section, and it is almost always refrigerated. Its not a cooking oil, and does a terrible job of it.

People use it for a supplement Omega's I think.
FBG_Ag78
AG
Ran across this today. Haven't tried it yet but intend to.
https://gallery.mailchimp.com/4dff56b5146d5983fda6c3cd1/files/Guide_to_Smoothing_Cast_Iron.01.pdf
schmellba99
AG
Of you have a 4-1/2" grinder, get a wire wheel,for,it and strip it fown that way. Much faster than the easy off method. Both work, one is just a hell of a lot faster.

Sand with an orbital sander, start with 80 grit and work to 180 or 220. Season with flax seed oil, r coats minimum.

Cook.

Thats about it.
rather be fishing
AG
Lowe's had a package of copper colored wire bits for like $8. Used a couple of those while redoing a smoker a few weeks ago and then used it to knock a bunch of rust off an old #3 Lodge I have. Worked great, just recommend an electric drill so you don't have to change batteries every 10 minutes.
Sazerac
AG
Lodge seasons at the factory with a refined soy oil.

Flax oil is always refrigerated as it is unstable. Never put it on a pan unless you intend to heat it past the smoke point (450+). Make sure only ingredient is flax. Anything else and the seasoning won't stick.

agent-maroon
AG
https://texags.com/forums/34/topics/2112042

Old thread with a lot of great info (assuming that the links still work).
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Sazerac
AG
That link is mostly awful information
agent-maroon
AG
Referring to my link? And if so, what's the problem?
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.