Outdoors
Sponsored by

Truck Gun Rack

8,764 Views | 19 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by PorkEatingCrusader
Todd 02
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Looking to install a gun rack in the truck that gets long guns up and out of the way. I've usually got kiddos and a pup with me and they climb all over the cab, so I'm thinking roof mount or rear window mount. I won't keep them in the truck full time, so it's not so much about security.

The less damage I have to do the the truck, the better. However, the rack doesn't have to be easily removable.

I have tried the plastic racks that wedge in the rear window and they pretty much sucked.

I'm not a tall fella, so maybe the visor shelf would work. Sure looks like it blocks a fair bit of the windshield, though.

Not sure the sling that hangs on the front seats is the best option with the kids.

What are you guys and gals using?
schmellba99
AG
I haven't had a gun rack in a truck since high school.

I had a badass little Dodge Dakota at the end of HS and into my college years - nothing fancy, single cab with an 8 ' bed, 4wd, etc. Great little truck - i ended up putting a gun rack behind the seat. Just used self tapping screws and a lot of silicone and screwed it to the rear wall of the cab. Could fit almost any long gun there and didn't have to worry about a soul knowing they were there. But it was a permanent attachment, and I wouldn't think of doing it to my truck today. Partly because you can't even fold down rear seats anymore, partly because I'm grown up.

If you have a rear seat that folds up, not sure if the underseat storage would work or not. Had that in my F250 extended cab. Never really put rifles or shotguns in there outside of unusual circumstances, but they do work. Not super secure, but keeps things out of site and kids generally can't get to them.
2ndChanceAg96
AG
Always wondered if these where any good. They look pretty sturdy.

Overhead Gun Rack
Chazz03
AG
not sure what you're driving these days, but I've thought about getting these. Sometimes I'll put a rifle in a soft case under the rear seat anyway.
http://www.du-ha.com/20065_20066_20067_thru_20070_crew.html#fordriflerack

or these, but you'd have to train the kids better.
https://www.sportsmansguide.com/product/index/classic-accessories-seat-back-gun-rack-camo?a=88673

They also still make the rear window racks in metal which my dad has and seams to work better with less flex I guess.
Chazz03
AG
Very sturdy but they hang lower than you would think
CTGilley
AG
2ndChanceAg96 said:

Always wondered if these where any good. They look pretty sturdy.

Overhead Gun Rack
My buddy had a sky rack. It was awesome. I wanted one for a long time. It kept guns up where they were not easy to see and very sturdy.
Todd 02
AG
Working out on the farm, it's nice to keep a rifle around for stray dogs, hogs, the rare bobcat sighting, whatever. Additionally, I like having a shotgun around for rattlesnakes. Especially with the little ones running around.

They're 2 and 5, so the back seat is full up with boosters. With the car seat laws, they'll be in them until they're old enough to drive on their own. So...under the rear seat storage just isn't an option. And I can see both of them using that sling as a ladder to climb up on the console and into the front seat.

I saw the Great Day versions and they are pretty much the front runner right now. Really surprised that there aren't many better or other options out there.
PorkEatingCrusader
Mine

Pro guard locking roof mount
Corps_Ag12
AG
What vehicle is it mounted in?
Todd 02
AG
Chazz03 said:

not sure what you're driving these days
'09 Chevy 2500HD Crew Cab
HookThis
AG
I use this, not the greatest but its a cheap workable solution

Chazz03
AG
Todd 02 said:

Working out on the farm, it's nice to keep a rifle around for stray dogs, hogs, the rare bobcat sighting, whatever. Additionally, I like having a shotgun around for rattlesnakes. Especially with the little ones running around.

They're 2 and 5, so the back seat is full up with boosters. With the car seat laws, they'll be in them until they're old enough to drive on their own. So...under the rear seat storage just isn't an option. And I can see both of them using that sling as a ladder to climb up on the console and into the front seat.

I saw the Great Day versions and they are pretty much the front runner right now. Really surprised that there aren't many better or other options out there.
Well it just sounds like you're going to have to buy a new truck gun. maybe a 16'' barrel 30-30 or 44 mag that will fit between the diver seat and consol.
agcrock2005
AG
Saw an old lady driving a POS truck yesterday in Dallas on way home from work that had shotgun in her gun rack on back window. Hadn't seen that in 20 years. Actually didn't know you could do that any more.
nealan
It's perfectly legal to keep there unless you are entering a gun free zone (school, etc) isn't it? Of course, I'd be concerned about someone breaking into my truck in town.. But if you were travelling across the state or something you could leave it there i assume.?
AggieGunslinger
AG
Mud River sales a version of this where the gun is completely enclosed in a zipper pocket period but your kids could still open the zipper pocket. Todd I have been in a few trucks with the overhead racks and I don't think you'll be able to wear your cowboy hat while you drive.
Todd 02
AG
So you're saying I should pick up a new lever action .30-30 for the long shots. And I'm thinking a Taurus Judge for the short ones. And maybe a new AR-15 since they're pretty compact.

The self appointed Head of Procurement is going to **** herself!
Todd 02
AG
The back end of my cab has an inverted area in the headliner that looks like it would hold a couple of firearms tucked in pretty high. The only issue is finding a spot to attach a rack to something solid.

If the "three new guns" doesn't work, I'll hit the drawing board and see what I can figure out.

ETA:

Here's basically what I'm working with. The inverted area can be seen rear of the handle above the door.
GottaRide
S
I had the visor shelf in a 93 GMC. I really liked it. Most people didn't even know it was there since it matched the headliner.
Lance in Round Mountain
AG
HookThis said:

I use this, not the greatest but its a cheap workable solution

I have something similar to this in my Ford F-350. It works well.
schmellba99
AG
AggieGunslinger said:

Mud River sales a version of this where the gun is completely enclosed in a zipper pocket period but your kids could still open the zipper pocket. Todd I have been in a few trucks with the overhead racks and I don't think you'll be able to wear your cowboy hat while you drive.
You cold always get a suitcase lock on the two zippers so the kids can't open it. Not ideal, but better than nothing.
PorkEatingCrusader
Corps_Ag12 said:

What vehicle is it mounted in?
2016 Ford F-150
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.