Outdoors
Sponsored by

Red Dot Question

6,883 Views | 34 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by gwellis
highvelocity
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Looking for a red dot for an AK and Kriss Vector. I've looked at several but not too sure what the difference in functionality is for the difference in price.

I've looked at all the accupoints and i've looked at Holosun (which has gotten some good reviews). So i was wondering if you guys could provide some suggestions.

Thanks
Owner of Texas Strap Company use code TEXAGS for 15% off
www.txstrapco.com

Sales Director for BCA Firearms
www.bcafirearmstx.com
El Hombre Mas Guapo
AG
EO-Tech
A.G.S.
AG
"Anything less than AimPoint or Trijicon and you are throwing money away."
/keyboardoperators

I don't have any experience with Accupoint, but I have shot with one of the newer Holosuns and it seemed pretty sturdy. And the reviews have been getting better for em. Plus some come with the ACSS reticle now. It is a busy reticle, but I like it.

Another one to consider is Primary Arms. I got one of their micro dots and I've been real pleased with it.
TheEyeGuy
Sponsor
AG
Budget...

Holosun or Black spider with a low mount. We have a C39V2 with a black spider on it right now if you want to try it.

Mid price... I have a couple MROs left on sale.

Top tier... well, technically aimpoint or the like but I think the MROs are already up there in quality.
shiftyandquick
Dr. Faustus
AG
Depends on what you want to do with it. Killing paper and general plinking? You're G2G with a Holosun, Vortex Sparc AR, Primary Arms, etc. Possibility of being used in a situation where your life might be in danger? Aimpoint, EOTech, Meprolight, or Trijicon. Best bang for your buck is an Aimpoint PRO, IMHO.

/Posted while operating operationally in an undisclosed location with other operational operators.
highvelocity
AG
the red dot for the ak will be used for hunting pigs and general plinking. the kriss vector is going to be an SBR / home defense weapon..
www.txstrapco.com

www.bcafirearmstx.com
Dr. Faustus
AG
I'd just read up on reviews, and pay attention specifically to what people say about the optic holding zero. My main concern with the lower priced stuff would be sturdiness and not holding zero well. I'm personally an Aimpoint fanboy, but EyeGuy's Trijicon MRO sale might be hard to pass up depending on price.
cledus6150
AG
I see no one has mentioned the Sig Sauer ROMEO3, I have one on my AR and absolutely love it. It was easy to sight in its small and takes adjustment easily. I have had it for over a year now and have seen no POI shift.
highvelocity
AG
price / sale on MRO?
www.txstrapco.com

www.bcafirearmstx.com
TheEyeGuy
Sponsor
AG
Romeo is a good optic. Originally, they were made by holosun but the new ones are being made in house by Sig.
txyaloo
AG
Angry Panda said:

I'd just read up on reviews, and pay attention specifically to what people say about the optic holding zero. My main concern with the lower priced stuff would be sturdiness and not holding zero well. I'm personally an Aimpoint fanboy, but EyeGuy's Trijicon MRO sale might be hard to pass up depending on price.
I've run Primary Arms RDS on machine guns with no issues holding zero. Might be an issue with large calibers but their new stuff is generally good to go.

For a home defense gun, I'd go Aimpoint or MRO
cledus6150
AG
Yep I love the auto on/off feature that it has makes it perfect for a HD weapon, works really well in the deer stand as well. Because it has a 3 MOA dot its super easy to take shots on hogs and steel past 100 yards, last time I brought it out (its on an eyeguy grab bag gun) I had guys ringing steel and laughing how easy it was at 100 and 150 yards.
BreNayPop
AG
I have an ak w red army mount and a sparc.

Sparc is on sale again today at palmetto state armory.

Love that combo
TheEyeGuy
Sponsor
AG
I used to love the sparc. Had one on my PS90. However, the one thing I do not like about any of vortex's red dots is that they have a lot of crap on the outside of the window. Enough to be distracting. That's why I ditched their red dots in favor of the black spiders and holosun. They are great optics and definitely durable but being able to see the buttons and battery turret from the side always annoyed me.
BreNayPop
AG
That, of course, is a valid point
TheEyeGuy
Sponsor
AG
Definitely not trying to knock the Sparc AT ALL, however, that was my personal experience with them so just wanted to make sure that was known.
Trigger06
AG
The Sparc AR fixed that. Much more streamlined.
Daddy-O5
AG
Lots of online deals for the Romeos nowadays. Get one for < 200 pretty easy.
highvelocity
AG
this is the auto on/off? seems like a good feature for a HD weapon site..
www.txstrapco.com

www.bcafirearmstx.com
Daddy-O5
AG
Yep. Just for reference....

https://www.sportsmansoutdoorsuperstore.com/products2.cfm/ID/179498
cledus6150
AG
Yep its their MOTAC, feature it works extremely well and I have yet to have to change the battery after a year. Not saying its stayed on a year straight but I do tend to leave it on whole weekends at a time.

Romeo3 link
bevokilla
AG
PSA has the SPARC AR on sale for $139.99 with Free S&H with coupon code SPARC
highvelocity
AG
i ordered a romeo 5 for the Kriss. so we'll see how it goes. thanks for the suggestions, i'll look into the MRO and aimpoint as well for the Ak.
www.txstrapco.com

www.bcafirearmstx.com
reddog90
AG
T2 bruh.
Puryear Playboy
AG
I have personally killed or watched die Sparc, Holosun, MRO, Microdot and the Romeo/Sig.

I am a big fan of the quality you get from Aimpoint, but not the price. I have over 20 Truglo trutec 20mm red dot sights that are used VERY hard...in two years of hard use one has failed, it quit reliably tracking but would hold zero where it stopped when you adjusted it. I have recommended them to LE (some of whom are on this board) and all are still going strong.

They are good enough I trust them on my guns around the house and in the trucks. For the money they are not beatable IMHO. I have aimpoints too, but these have proven themselves to me.
tlepoC
AG
Link? Not showing for me. Trying to decide between sparc are, Romeo 5, or spitfire ar. This deal might sway me
bevokilla
AG
https://www.reddit.com/r/gundeals/comments/6k1i4l/sparc_ar_red_dot_13999_w_free_sh_using_coupon/
Mantis Toboggan MD
AG
Any chance for another RDS group buy?
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
jamaggie06
AG
Thoughts on the Sig red dots?
cledus6150
AG
They are the romeos mentioned above
highvelocity
AG
And how do you guys feel about the aimpoint pro
www.txstrapco.com

www.bcafirearmstx.com
gibberish
AG
highvelocity said:

GTG buy it. Granted you will eventually also want a t1 or 2 because weight. But I still keep a pro on my competition rifle.
Dr. Faustus
AG
highvelocity said:

See my previous post. Best bang for your buck as far as "proven" optics go. Buy with confidence, and kill bad guys/animals/paper with impunity.

Weight and FOV are the biggest negs it gets. Doesn't bother me because of the amount of time I've spent behind one, but you could go lighter with an Aimpoint T/H series, or you could go wider FOV with most of the EOTech offerings. I personally won't buy EOTech after the recent issues they've had, but that may or may not be my fanboy-ism shining through.
gwellis
AG
Any thoughts on the Leupold LCOs?
Gil '91
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.