Outdoors
Sponsored by

Newbie wanting advice on bowhunting

1,608 Views | 13 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by BlockerBLDG
Ham Slice MRE
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Howdy Outdoor Ags!

My pops is not a hunter and didn't pass it down to me but I would like to get into it.

I am interested in getting into bowhunting, specifically whitetails and was wondering what resources you would recommend for a beginner. I have a couple hundred of acres in northern Walker county available to me that I would like to take advantage of this coming year and I have already completed the hunter safety course.

Thanks, I appreciate any help re: equipment, practice, preparation, etc.
HSEAG13
Check out the ob FAQ thread. There's a lot of answers for beginners
Lungblood
Find a couple good archery shops in your area... Mom and popish... No BPS or such. Shoot some bows, ask some questions... Fret, obsess, pull your balls outta your momma's purse and pull the trigge!

Plenty of time to get tacked out and go hunt this fall.

But remember...

dummble
AG
East Texas is fun hunting. During bow season the deer are hitting the acorns and not spooked yet. Find a tree dropping white acorns and hunt that. Be aware of the wind. At bow distance the deer can clearly see you. www.texasbowhunter.com
C4D
AG
There is a ton to learn here bud.
I will keep it as short as i can.

I wont recommend any specific bow. Just dont get a cheapo. Thats really it. Go to your nearest outdoor store and have them set u up to hunt white tail. Must haves: bow, arrows,field tips, broadheads that are same gr as the practice tips, release, full camo including face cover.

Practice as much as possible. U need to be able to hit an apple at 30 yrds with 5 consecutive shots. As a beginner u dont have any business shooting at a deer past 30 yards. To simulate the increase in heart rate when u draw down on a deer, sprint 200 yards then immediately pick up ur bow and make an accurate shot. C if u can do it.

Learn how to scout deer. Youtube it. Spend as little time at ur hunting ground as u can prior to hunting it. Move into the wind when hunting. When hunting while stationary, Place yourself down wind of where the deer will Be.

Important Deer characteristics. They are where the food is. They can also be patterened at water sources. Bucks chase poohnahny when it gets cold. They are creatures of habit. If u dont screw up their routine they will stick to it. They can easily be patterned.
Deer are by nature very stupid animals, but their flight instinct is super strong. If they see, hear or smell you they bolt. You can easily beat their eyesight, unless they see u move. Its harder to beat their hearing but it can be done. And its most difficult to beat their nose. But this can also be done.

Dont tale the shot if you question wether or not u will make it. Learn deer anatomy and aim for the heart.

Wear clothing that doesn't make ANY noise when it is rubbed together. Dont use a whisker biscuit.

Only your own experiences will teach u how to take a whitetail with an arrow. Have fun.
AggieArcher17
AG
Practice much further distance shots than you plan to hunt at. Longer distance multiplies your form and execution errors, so if you can get to where you are competent at 50, 20 is a chip shot!
AggieChemist
AG
Shoot a lot, shoot from a treestand, take bowhunters education, be meticulous about your scent, and then hunt for about four years before you finally kill a deer. Once you can kill one, you'll be fine!
AggieChemist
AG
If you can find a buddy or an older bowhunter that is willing to take you under their wing, do so. Listen, learn, and soak up all you can. Hell, I'd do it if I wasn't 1000+ miles away.
AgEng06
AG
C4D said:

U need to be able to hit an apple at 30 yrds with 5 consecutive shots. As a beginner u dont have any business shooting at a deer past 30 yards.

Dont use a whisker biscuit.
Just FYI OP, these parts of this post are subjective and by no means "rules". The rest is good info.
JSKolache
AG
A decent bow shop with a range can help you with equipment, fitting, & good techniques. Once you are dialed in at the shop, doing some minor tweaking like setting sight pin ranges as you practice on your own is pretty simple.

In the woods, your primary concern will be eliminating & masking your scent. Wash & dry everything (clothes, yourself) in scent-free products. I recommend a tree stand that will get you as high up as you are comfortable - at least 20'. Elevation helps with vision/spotting & also keeps your scent off your feeder, food plot, etc.

Pro-tips: if you will wear gloves in the woods, then sight-in and practice while wearing the same gloves. When you shoot a deer with a bow, let it bleed out for AT LEAST 1 hour before tracking (if you made a good lung/heart shot, or even longer for a questionable shot.) I jumped my first bow deer while tracking after about 20 mins (standard rifle time), and I never found him.

Ham Slice MRE
AG
Thanks to all
BradMtn346
I'm not the greatest bow hunter. I started because I couldn't get a pronghorn rifle tag. Killed pronghorn 2/3 years. The buck was 3 steps away the 3rd year.

Only thing I know for sure, big heavy arrows help forgive big mistakes. My only bull elk with a bow, I hit badly. I drew at 7 yards, he saw me and ran back around a tree at 30 yards. There was brush but I had his shoulder clear. Touched off and he hit the dirt. Good. Got back up. Bad. Went about 60 yards and stopped. Laid down. Still had his head up at last light, so I went in in the morning. Dead where I'd left him. He was quartered to me much more than I thought. Arrow hit right behind the shoulder, clipped a lung, made a mess on the way back, and SHATTERED that elk's femur. FMJ's.
AggiePetro07
AG
OP, where are you located? The guys at West Houston Archery on I10 and Beltway 8 are fantastic. If you're in Dallas, Josh at Collin County Archery is a great bow guy.
Sean98
AG
Lots of interesting things said on here so far. Most of them good, some of them pretty general wives tales in my opinion.

First and most important to me is to find a bow that fits you and is comfortable for you to shoot. Just like a gun if you don't enjoy shooting your bow you won't practice with it enough to become a competent shooter. That doesn't mean it has to be a new bow, or even an expensive bow. Bear, Martin, etc. make some nice entry line bows. Or you can choose to look for a used flagship bow, or go full out and buy an expensive Hoyt Carbon bow. Whatever floats your boat. BUT BEFORE YOU DO THAT go to a real pro-shop and get your draw length measured. A lot of people shoot draw lengths that don't fit them (usually too long) and they'll never be consistent. I would suggest you consider buying your bow at the pro-shop. That said if you're looking to pick up a used bow just be honest with them about that. No pro-shop wants to have you shoot 2 dozen of their bows until you find one you like only for you to go and buy it on the internet. If you're going to buy used have them measure your draw length, tell them because it's your first bow you're going to dip your toe into the used market, and then buy as many accessories as you can from them. Pay them to set up your bow, etc. Which leads us to...

Once your bow is purchased then you can begin the process of outfitting and tuning it. You can spend a lot on sights, quivers, rests, stabilizers, etc. but you don't have to. There are enough quality drop away rest options out there today that I would recommend that. Get a quailty wrist-strap release. Scott, SpotHogg, I shoot a Tru-Fire bulldog. Lots of good options but they're going to run you $75-110 probably. For your first year you can scrimp on sights, stabilizers and quiver in my mind. Find a decent 3 pin sight, something like a TruGlo that won't break the bank and grab it. Stabilizer and quiver can be had pretty cheap. Have your pro-shop install your rest, install a D-Loop (<--where you'll attach your release to the string) and pay them to help tune your bow (at least paper tune it after the rest installation). Buy your arrows from the pro-shop too. GoldTip, Carbon Express and Easton are the big 3 and their price will be pretty consistent no matter where you buy. They can cut your arrows on site, install nocks, spin tune, etc. I prefer a heavier arrow but I'm a decent sized guy shooting long arrows at relatively high speed. You have to find the sweet spot for you given your 1) bow, 2) draw length, 3) draw weight. Ideally you want to maximize kinetic energy. The shorter your shot distance and smaller/thinner your target animal the lighter you can go on arrows. If you shoot long distances or elk (or even Kansas whitetails) you're going to want some extra mass in your arrows. Get a quality target (Block or Mackenzie, etc.) if you're going to shoot a lot. If you're not sure yet then you can pick up a cheap-o Cabelas layered target but they won't last that long.

Next: shoot, Shoot, SHOOT. A lot. But build up to it. Don't try to shoot 100 arrows your first day. Maybe just shoot 6. More if you can, but when you get tired and you feel form starting to break down then stop. I like to shoot a dozen arrows every morning. Then sometimes I shoot 40-60 in the evening. Keep in mind 2 things: 1) I haven't flung an arrow in 2 months thanks to work so I'm not exactly practicing what I preach currently; & 2) When I am in a shooting routine I shoot A LOT MORE than most people. In fact if you even shoot 100 arrows a week you'll be shooting way more than most. Start with your poundage low enough that it is very easy to draw. Don't start heavy and develop bad habits. You need to be able to hold your bow at shooting height and then draw without the bow ever rising or dipping. If you can do that at 70 pounds great. If it's at 50# that's fine too. Gradually work your way up in weight. You've got all summer to get to where you want to be, you don't have to start at full poundage. Yes, each time you increase your draw weight you'll have to re-sight your bow in, but frankly it's good practice. Once you get close to hunting season (say a month out) then stop changing your draw weight, dial your pins in and stop fiddling with them. As you shoot, film yourself from the front/side/back to see what you're doing right, and what you're doing wrong. Gradually move your distance back as you get better (3 pin sights can easily get you 20/30/40yards). Don't be afraid to step back up nice and close if you have a rough day.

That should really get you started, but doesn't even begin to talk about the other aspects of bow hunting deer in terms of shot selection, deer body language. Stand selection, stand prep, wind, scent control, etc., etc., etc. I still don't have that all figured out either so if anyone has helpful tips I'll gladly listen.

TLDnR: Get a pro-shop to measure your accurate draw length. Get the best bow you can afford. Don't scrimp on your rest or release. Pay your pro-shop to help you set-up and tune your bow. Then shoot as much, and as often as you can.

BlockerBLDG
AG
you guys are helping more than just the OP. Thanks!!
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.