Outdoors
Sponsored by

Prime brisket, is it worth it?

11,529 Views | 31 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by WC87
Fishin Texas Aggie 05
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Haven't smoked a brisket in a while and saw the HEB in Victoria had packer, super trim, choice,and prime briskets.

They sure ain't cheap but are they that much better?
BCO07
AG
Noticeable difference. When Costco has them on sale I definitely pick one up.
FIDO 96
AG
Yes
Mule_lx
AG
Less range in primes quality. Choice has a pretty big range from high to low choice.
drummer0415
AG
If you suck at cooking brisket to begin with, you won't notice much difference in prime. If you can cook a decent brisket to begin with, then yes you will notice a difference with a prime.
ConstructionAg01
AG
Go for it. My family of 5 can make three full meals out of a brisket, so the extra $$ is easily justifiable and the difference is clear in tenderness and moisture in the meat. They seem to cook faster to me.

Aaron Franklin's prep work + BGE = repeatable success.
Lungblood
If anything, the "higher quality" pom will hide your Q'ing inadequacies.
aggiedent
AG
Yes, yes they are.
Fishin Texas Aggie 05
AG
Ive always done packer cuts so i had a hard time justifying the notice differnce in the $/lb, but what the hay ill try it.
80sGeorge
AG
Yes!
Fort Worth Realtor
AG
Yes! Worth it.
agcrock2005
AG
BCO07 said:

Very big difference. All I will buy now.

Aren't they always $2.99/lb at Costco? Do they ever get lower than that? If so, I'm going to stock up!
CrawfordAg
AG
Agreed w/ Agcrock, go to Costco. All prime beef prices at the same price as choice/select at H-E-B.
agcrock2005
AG
Fishin Texas Aggie 05 said:

Ive always done packer cuts so i had a hard time justifying the notice differnce in the $/lb, but what the hay ill try it.
They cook a little more quickly since they have better marbling. I bought a wagyu brisket for a buddy once as a thank you and he burned the **** out of it because it cooked a LOT faster due to the amount of fat in it. Same thing with prime versus select but not quite as noticeable.
BCO07
AG
agcrock2005 said:

BCO07 said:

Very big difference. All I will buy now.

Aren't they always $2.99/lb at Costco? Do they ever get lower than that? If so, I'm going to stock up!

I normally buy at $2.69
agcrock2005
AG
Quote:

I normally buy at $2.69
At Costco? Is that a sale price that happens every now and then or your costco offers that price regularly?
AG_02
AG
there is a difference. Well worth the $1.20 more or less per lb.
EMY92
AG
I know a guy with a great BBQ joint. We had this talk two weeks ago, he said that he can produce good brisket with choice, but he can make great brisket with prime.

I think he knows what he's talking about. He was head chef at a top 50 BBQ joint on the TM list and now has his own place that has some of the best brisket I've ever had.
BCO07
AG
Maybe every quarter or so in Lubbock
Fishin Texas Aggie 05
AG
The fancy HEB in Victoria had a small selection of prime briskets and the biggest was only 13lbs

Ohh well I'll give it a shot
Bighamp03
AG
Prime from Costco is all I do now. It is definitely worth it.
Post removed:
by user
FIDO 96
AG
ConstructionAg01 said:

Go for it. My family of 5 can make three full meals out of a brisket, so the extra $$ is easily justifiable and the difference is clear in tenderness and moisture in the meat. They seem to cook faster to me.

This. My neighbor was shocked when I bought 15.5lb prime brisket and proceeded to trim off 4-5lbs of fat and gray meat. At 5-6/lb, that's like $20-30 straight to the dog bowl or trash.
agcrock2005
AG
jake2011 said:

I like a lot of fat mixed in my brisket. I typically do the packer cut. Do the primes have a good amount of fat?
They have more marbled fat in the meat than the select briskets.
Cancelled
AG
I've posted this before. It seems like packer is a cut , but most Primes appear to be trimmed.
Schall 02
AG
USDA has four grades of beef measured by marbling - i.e. inner muscular fat. Prime has the most, then choice, then select (which has little). Worst grade is 'no use' - i.e. bad.

So yes, prime is worth if you know how to render the fat.
Fishin Texas Aggie 05
AG
HEB also had a "natural" brisket. I'm guessing it is organic or some BS like that. They were more expensive than prime .
Duncan Idaho
FIDO 96 said:

ConstructionAg01 said:

This. My neighbor was shocked when I bought 15.5lb prime brisket and proceeded to trim off 4-5lbs of fat and gray meat. At 5-6/lb, that's like $20-30 straight to the dog bowl or trash.

Put that on the smoker and make beef cracklin's
Bird Poo
AG
Do you brisket guys ever freeze them if you find a good price? If so, any difference between frozen and fresh?
schmellba99
AG
kayakag said:

Do you brisket guys ever freeze them if you find a good price? If so, any difference between frozen and fresh?
I've never noticed a difference. But my palate is not quite as defined and delicate as some, so you get what you just paid for here in this review.
agcrock2005
AG
kayakag said:

Hell yes. When I find choice below $2/lb I'll pick through them and grab a few of the best. Otherwise I'll grab a couple prime at Costco every month or so and throw them in the freezer. I'm pretty picky when it comes to BBQ and I can't tell a difference.
agfan2013
AG
Yep, will stick one or two in the freezer if HEB or somebody is running a sale on them, have one in the freezer right now. Never had one cook or taste any differently after doing so, they're good to go. Just make sure to pull it out to start thawing with plenty of time! If I'm smoking one on a Saturday I usually move it to the refrigerator on Tuesday and still might have to let it sit out on the counter for a few hours Thursday or Friday night.
WC87
AG
Well worth it, and as others have said well marbled meat will tend to cook faster. Some of my HEB prime briskets cook in as little as 30 min per pound on my Grill Dome at 225F
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.