Outdoors
Sponsored by

Old Formula One cars are outdoors

3,879 Views | 15 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by texrover91
BenderRodriguez
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Know someone who was at Circuit of the Americas in Austin this weekend with a team for the Lotus Cup races, so went down today to hang out. Saw a lot of neat cars....a Mclaren, Ferraris, Vipers, tons of Corvettes, AMGs, Lambos, you name it. And of course a crap ton of Lotus cars.

But the highlight of the day was watching a '60s era Ferrari Formula 1 car on the track.

You could hear it no matter where you were at the track, and even though they weren't pushing it hard (for obvious reasons)....damn what a car. Still grinning a little about it.

I took some crappy video/pictures, but I found the facebook page for a group that was out there that took way, way better pictures so I'm sharing some of theirs.

CharlieBrown17
AG
Went to the first F1 race at COTA, the vintage cars taking laps over the weekend was badass
snave
AG
The vintage cars during F1 weekend are awesome. I especially appreciate the fact that they actually race them. COTA also hosts another event the weekend after the F1 race which is all vintage cars and given attendance is much lower you can easily get access to the paddock and garages.
CharlieBrown17
AG
Aussie V8 Supercar had surprisingly easy paddock access
texrover91
AG
Love open wheel vintage racers - I've got my 2yo hooked on watching open wheel races

Just watched the LeMans Ford v Ferrari documentary with him the other day on Amazon - great movie.

I graduated from funny cars & sprinters to NASCAR then open wheel and GT as a kid - will build or buy an open wheel one day with the boy of mama let's us

Old Sarge
AG
Would have gone to the OP's picture car run, then left. Love that old stuff of my childhood. The stuff we dreamed of running while we ran the 5hp open wheel go cart with no governor restrictions and no bumpers back in the 70's. Back then, we thought the Nascar stuff was for guys who needed the protection. Except for Richard Petty in his 43. He was a dude, with his feather hat band. No kidding. It was cool. Back then.
rather be fishing
AG
I backpack sprayed just about all the mesquite between the track and 130. Those were some looooong days.
powerbiscuit
Do the vintage cars sell on the open market? What kind of price?
VitruvianAg
AG
http://race-cars.com/carsales/makes.htm

Cheap @ $75K

cbr
AG
Cant see the pics but there is no doubt that those cars were the coolest. Big v8. No aero. All go. Really sweet.
Some Junkie Cosmonaut
AG
powerbiscuit said:

Do the vintage cars sell on the open market? What kind of price?

jerry seinfeld just sold a part of his collection at auction. brought $22 mill. some really cool vintage porsches in there.

https://www.hagerty.com/articles-videos/Articles/2016/03/11/Jerry-Seinfeld-Cars
Superdave1993
AG
Thanks for sharing, looks like it was great.

Remember, if you share photos they are "your photos" and "your cars"!

MFBarnes
JR69
AG
My two favorite cars of all time - the Gulf Porsche 917 and the Elf Team Tyrrel F1 cars that Jackie Stewart drove to three F! championships. A close 3rd goes to the John Player Special Lotus 72 F1 driven by Emerson Fittipaldi to the 1972 World Championship.
BenderRodriguez
AG
Superdave1993 said:

Thanks for sharing, looks like it was great.

Remember, if you share photos they are "your photos" and "your cars"!

MFBarnes

Yeah, he's the reason I try and make sure to clarify when I'm using other peoples pictures.

Sad, weird man.

Superdave1993
AG
Wife and I hit the corvette factory and bourbon trail this past weekend, but I think this would have been as much fun.
AggieChemist
AG
it moved.
texrover91
AG
There is a lot of good free content on Amazon and Netflix - watched one on 80's era Group B the other night that was great. Series is called "The Racing Collection". Paris to Dakar documentary is insane - something like 60 people killed before the race was discontinued

Check out:

"1" - story of F1 and Fia before they got wise to driver safety

"24 Hour War" - Ford v Ferrari at LeMans

Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.