Outdoors
Sponsored by

Planting Fruit Trees Near Aerobic Septic Sprinklers

30,279 Views | 13 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by ltbrenner
Player To Be Named Later
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I read mixed opinions..... Is this safe?

We are building on 1.25 acre and will have an aerobic septic system. Is it safe to plant fruit trees that would fall within the watering zone of the sprinklers?
OnlyForNow
AG
wash the fruit with some kinda dish soap before you eat it would be my only recommendation.

The water coming out of the sprinkler heads should be gray water so it can def. be repurposed.
MouthBQ98
AG
I'd say the osmosis process of a tree is a pretty good filter. Just wash any fruit to clean its surface.
schmellba99
AG
Why wouldn't it be safe? The discharge water from your system, assuming it's working right, should be relatively clean. Not potable water clean, but still clean. If you are worried, wash your fruit before you eat it - you should be doing that anyway.

If you are concerned about the fact that poo may be in or near the trees at some point - ask yourself what most organic fertilizer is.
OnlyForNow
AG
It's not human waste!

And I can't believe you chickened out on Saturday.
schmellba99
AG
OnlyForNow said:

It's not human waste!

And I can't believe you chickened out on Saturday.
Human waste is an organic fertilizer, used all over the place.

I had kid duty Saturday. Wanted to come, but spending time with my girls pulls rank on most other things. Heard I missed a good time though.
Player To Be Named Later
AG
I just have admittedly never familiarized myself with septic systems, as this is my first.

I don't have an issue doing it, if it is safe.
OnlyForNow
AG
Indeed kid time >>>> drinking and gun building fun.

Ya, you're right, but Americans eat too much protein for our waste to be a great fertilizer.

Plus it's ****ing nasty.
Bitter Old Man
AG
USDA Organic Certification prohibits the use of human "bio-solids," Conventional growth methods do not. So, if you are worried about eating food fertilized by human poo, then you might look into that....
OnlyForNow
AG
That's actually a little scary!
schmellba99
AG
Bitter Old Man said:

USDA Organic Certification prohibits the use of human "bio-solids," Conventional growth methods do not. So, if you are worried about eating food fertilized by human poo, then you might look into that....
What can and cannot be used in "organic" is kind of....suspect anyway.
Bitter Old Man
AG
I think it has more to do with the concentration of the junk chemicals/heavy metals that we eat, and/or dump down the toilet. Sewage sludge basically filters all that out and concentrates it.
schmellba99
AG
Player To Be Named Later said:

I just have admittedly never familiarized myself with septic systems, as this is my first.

I don't have an issue doing it, if it is safe.
An aerobic system has essentially 4 major parts:

1. Sludge holding tank. This is where all of your waste enters into the system. Your installer seeds it with bugs that basically eat the waste. It's the nasty part of the system. What cannot be organically decomposed becomes sludge that you may have to periodically have vacuumed out. This is the part that your Rid-X helps on a monthly basis. The little aerator is a part of this tank - it injects air into the sludge to give the bugs more viability and to keep it from packing down at the bottom. More surface area means a faster breakdown of solids.

2. Clarifier. This is a gravity settling system that decants clear water from the sludge tank off and lets solids settle. Solids go back into the sludge tank for recycling, clear water goes through the launder trough into your finish water tank.

3. Chlorinator. This injects chlorine (bleach) into your discharge line to aid in disinfection of the water that goes to your sprinkler heads. Most chlorinators are eductor systems that work on a vacuum when the pump comes on. You are injecting Cl2 into the line that goes to your sprinkers, not into the large tank.

4. Finish water tank. Basically clear water. Not potable by any stretch, but cleaned water. Your pump pumps from this tank when the level gets to a preset point and continues pumping until the level drops to a preset low point. This is what you see when your sprinkler heads pop up and spray. Nothing wrong with it being used to irrigate crops because any waste has gone through the aerobic breakdown process prior to getting to this tank.

Many municipalities are taking the water from their large capacity treatment plants and recycling it for use as irrigation water in city parks, along highways, etc. Some are actually re-treating it into potable water. We call it "reuse water" in the industry. Not potable grade, but cleaner than most natural sources of water you'll find.

Player To Be Named Later
AG
Good info. Would there be any difference to using it on a garden vs fruit trees?
ltbrenner
In the finish water tank, can you add pesticides for killing an infestation such as army worms on your yard?
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.