Outdoors
Sponsored by

Boots

6,211 Views | 26 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by BlueMiles
Mule_lx
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I'm looking for a well made good looking pair of boots for an office job. I have nicer more expensive boots, but I'm looking for something under $200 that'll do well with a pair of khakis. I haven't been very happy with the Ariats I've had. Any recommendations?
Dirty-8-thirty Ag
AG
Check out Rod Patrick Boots or Anderson Bean Boots. The two best brands of boots you can find on a shelf in my opinion.

Lucchesse used to be up there, but their quality has gone down hill the last few years, plus they won't be under $200.
locogringo
AG
Double H. I've had many of the others, stopped changing brands after Double H.
Gigemags05
AG
I've found that people who like Anderson Beans don't like lucchesse and vice versa.

I'm not a fan of AB at all. The ones I had had terrible soles and in my opinion they don't look near as good as lucchesse.

Can't speak to the last few yrs of lucchesse though. C I've had mine a really long time.
HumbleAg04
AG
Got some Tecovas for this exact purpose. Sonfar have been happy.
Max06
AG
I'm partial to Twisted X
JSKolache
AG
Check the clearance sales at all the local places. You likely won't find anything good quality at that figure on the regular price shelves.
agfan2013
AG
find you some redwings for under $200, the pair I have were $225. I've been wearing mine for over two years now, at least 4-5 times a week and they have held up perfectly and after breaking in, are some of the most comfortable boots I own. Bonus points that some of their boots are still made in USA.
CactusThomas
AG
Try on the good quality boots at your local shop. Find what you like, priced under $500 or $600. Then leave and shop for used boots on ebay. That way you will know what size you need and what they are worth new.
aftershock
Sierra Trading Post has some pretty solid deals on Luchesse.

http://www.sierratradingpost.com/lucchese-wide-square-toe-cowboy-boots-12-for-men~p~147fu/?filterString=mens-cowboy-and-western-boots~d~452%2F

http://www.sierratradingpost.com/lucchese-marsh-goat-leather-cowboy-boots-square-toe-for-men~p~104vr/?filterString=mens-cowboy-and-western-boots~d~452%2F

I own that second pair and i like them alot. $200 with a coupon.

They have a pretty decent selection of other stuff if you're on a budget. I normally get two pairs and return the one that doesn't fit. I think they charge like $5 for returns
Corps_Ag12
AG
Anderson Bean
texags08
AG
I'm partial to Ariat. I have a pair that have a rubber sole, but it looks like a leather sole (flat no tread). I have worn them almost every day for going on 5 years and they are still holding up. I'm about to get the heal cap redone for the first time.

I have gone through about 5 sets of insoles in them. I get them shined about once a month.

ETA: mainly used in an office job, but tons of walking all day inside.
redass1876
AG
HumbleAg04 said:

Just got my pair on Monday. They seem really nice so far. Leather quality seems really high

Also been partial to Ariat in the past for cost and style
MAROON
AG
HumbleAg04 said:

how do those boots run size wise? Was thinking to order a pair but my foot is very hard to fit in boots (high in-step).
bigfoot10s
AG
Anderson Bean
BroncStomper06
AG
It's been a while since I have bought a new pair of boots, but I will reiterate what a few others said. Rod Patrick and Anderson Bean would be a good place to start, as well as Rios of Mercedes. If you can find a good used pair of Lucchese classics, that would be my recommendation.

I was sponsored by Boulet Boots for years and I loved every pair I owned. They are priced similarly to RP or AB.
Canyon99
Mule_lx said:

I'm looking for a well made good looking pair of boots for an office job. I have nicer more expensive boots, but I'm looking for something under $200 that'll do well with a pair of khakis. I haven't been very happy with the Ariats I've had. Any recommendations?
What type of setting is your office job? Makes a bit of difference, IMO.
bam02
AG
CactusThomas said:

Try on the good quality boots at your local shop. Find what you like, priced under $500 or $600. Then leave and shop for used boots on ebay. That way you will know what size you need and what they are worth new.

This is a great suggestion. I haven't bought boots off of eBay, but I've bought two pair of high-end dress shoes there for probably 20% of what new ones run. Both in near perfect condition.

This is my plan for my next pair of boots. I just don't wear out boots like I do dress shoes, unfortunately.
Mule_lx
AG
Fairly laid back.
ursusguy
AG
Have a pair of Justin workboots, complete with camo tops, that I use for office, city council, and in the field. I just buff them a bit before city council related meetings. Work well for playing boot the copperhead out of the way. I cover a lot of miles on foot on my feral hog scouting days (at least once a week), and they've been real comfortable. Jeans, khakis, or slacks all get the same boots.

Granted, I'm a wildlife biologist and cheap. I do the the same thing with my Chippewaw snakeboots.
frorge
AG
Where are y'all getting Anderson Bean for under $200???
schmellba99
AG
locogringo said:

Double H. I've had many of the others, stopped changing brands after Double H.

Just replaced my HH work boots tonight with another pair. Good boots, made it over 5 years and I am generally not one that takes great care of work boots.

Only complaint i have is that i cannot understand why they glue their insoles in their work boots. Regular boots have replaceable insoles, but work boots do not. Makes absolutely zero sense.

One of these days i do want to get a nice set of regular boots. Maybe even custom made for me. Never had that before.
AsburyAg
AG
Buy your over-the counter-boots this year and then start saving.

Save up and when the time comes, buy a custom made pair. Counting my senior boots, I've owned 4 pair of custom made boots so far. (When you wear a size 18 like I do, you don't have many choices but that.)

2 by Dehner's out of Nebraska (senior boots and a pair of ropers)

James Leddy out of Abilene - Elephant ear. I've had them for 30 years since I was 16. A little tighter in the toes than they used to be (30 extra pounds gained in that time will do that to you), but still a good looking boot. I lost count of how many times I've resoled them.

Mercedes, formerly of Ft. Worth, now in Ben Wheeler. Water Buffalo. Mighty good pair I wear most days. I can wear them for 18 hours with no problem.

My dad taught me - your bed and your boots. You're always in one or the other. Make sure they are both comfortable.
suprafly03
AG
Dang!!!!!

Size 18? Prayers for your wife.. I bet your kids just fell out.
reveille23
AsburyAg said:

My dad taught me - your bed and your boots. You're always in one or the other. Make sure they are both comfortable.
I like that! Good words to live by. Sounds like a very smart man.
Martin Cash
AG
Wasn't familiar with Anderson Bean boots so I went to their website.

Do all of their boots have those hideous soles and heels? If so, they don't look appropriate for dress boots.
91AggieLawyer
AG
I wouldn't recommend workboots for an office job.

I've bought a lot of Eccos and with one exception (bought on clearance), they've been super. I'd recommend the Track VI high. I've been wearing an earlier version of that this winter. They're goretex (waterproof), look good, and can be shined up to remain good looking. Plus, they're comfortable, work well with khakis and look right at home in the office (albeit a bit on the casual side). But with khakis, a sport or denim shirt, or a polo, they're just fine.
BlueMiles
AG
Thanks for mentioning Sierra Trading Post for Lucchese. I never thought to look there although I have bought other things from them. If there is a next time to buy boots for me, I'll look there.

Other comments for those that might be looking for Lucchese: they now make their boots in several locations. Texas (I believe El Paso), Mexico, and maybe even across the ocean. (I wasn't even going to consider any of those, so I didn't bother to remember).

Their boot model numbers will reflect the origen, and that can also be seen in the "details" section on web pages.

I often look at zappos.com to read the reviews (do they squeak, etc.) and they have been great to order from, and for the rare return or exchange I have needed. 6pm.com seems to be zappos close-out site. They might have deals for you whatever you decide to buy.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.