Outdoors
Sponsored by

Hunting Matagorda Island WMA

6,611 Views | 10 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by ATX_AG_08
hurricanejake02
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Just got the email that my brother and I were selected to hunt whitetail on Matagorda this year. Has anyone done this hunt before? Any tips?

I know access to the island is by boat only - is there room for everyone to keep their boat docked for three days? Is there an advantage to making the trek over in the airboat so we can slip further down the island if we need to?
Camo
I have never done the whitetail deer hunt on the island, but have been duck hunting on the island while that event was going on. Used to go every Christmas break straight for 15+ years, great memories there.

We would either hire a captain who would haul us (4 people + gear) to the island and camp for 3 days. Other years we would drive our 18ft twin go devil from port o'connor to the island.

As far as I can remember, TPWD does not recognize it as a state park anymore, so camping is about your best bet. We would either dock our boats on the dock, which from what I remember they built protection around it or pull your air boat up onto the beach opposite of the dock side.

Not much I can add except that, dunno if they offer rooms with the hunt. Wouldn't be surprised if the abandoned visitor center opens up that week (somehow) to accommodate hunters

Unless things changed within the last 8 years... Here is overhead view of the camp grounds, boat dock, abandoned visitor center. I don't know of anyone ever staying anywhere else

[URL=.html][/URL]

ttha_aggie_09
AG
There used to be state setup blinds on the island. Guy I fish with in Port O swears there are some quality 130-145s on the island and no reason to doubt him.

I'll be in sea drift this weekend and will ask some people and see what I can find out.
SanAntoneAg
AG
Damnit! I didn't get any positive TPWD emails today.

More info on Matagorda Island facilities here.
https://www2.tpwd.state.tx.us/huntwild/hunt/public/public_hunt_drawing/brochures/ALLMT.pdf
Tree Hugger
AG
I got a good email yesterday.

Antlerless/Spike at Gus Engeling WMA.

It's only my second year for applying for the drawn hunts so I was pleasantly surprised when I got the notification. I guess now it's time for research and scouting.
Red Fishing Ag93
AG
Plenty of room for boat parking in my experience.

Air boat won't do any good for hunting because the staff at the park will be taking you to the blinds.
water turkey
I remember mosquitos and racoons invading out campsite.
hurricanejake02
AG
Thanks guys - I know the camping is primitive only, and you're shuttled to the blinds by WMA vehicles.

Any ideas on what type of blinds or distance on shots? I'm assuming you have some sort of communication with the WMA guys for once you have an animal down? I haven't participated in any of these drawn hunts before.

As far as the boat, my options are a 14' john boat (not a fun 8 mile ride), and 18' shallow sport (any wind and all your gear is soaked), or the airboat.
ATX_AG_08
AG
I'm super jealous. This looks like it's going to be an awesome hunt. I'd bring a good camera. Tons of magnificent wildlife out there. I'd also bring a pole in case there is down time.

We ran an airboat for many years and did a lot of running around in the deep back lakes behind matagorda. I've seen a few decent bucks back there myself, but I've heard stories of much bigger bucks from other family friend guides who've been running around back there longer than anybody on the water.

We jumped a doe in the airboat one time standing in the middle of a huge back lake (prob 6 inches of water). He took off sprinting. We circled him once and got some good vid and then let him be. Didn't want him dying of exhaustion trying to escape.
ATX_AG_08
AG
What are the regulations should you find a deer swimming across the bay? Could you take it legally? I've heard some stories. Wondering abt the legality.
hurricanejake02
AG
quote:
What are the regulations should you find a deer swimming across the bay? Could you take it legally? I've heard some stories. Wondering abt the legality.
I imagine it'd be tough to argue that you didn't take it from a moving vehicle.
ATX_AG_08
AG
Throw out the anchor?

Jk....good point. Didn't even think abt that.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.