Outdoors
Sponsored by

Drone View of Ranch

5,960 Views | 25 Replies | Last: 8 yr ago by Ag_of_08
Bayou City
How long do you want to ignore this user?

We took the drone out while we looked over the property. You can see the Goat/Donkey pens on the left, the chicken coop, and the new guest house for hunting in the center, along with the main house. Whoop!
Muzzleblast
What drone do you have?

Looking at the DJI Phantom 4 myself.
Bayou City
DJI Phantom 4 Pro
Muzzleblast
Thanks.

Like? Ease of use?
Bayou City
Love it. Extremely useful and easy.
Muzzleblast
Thanks a lot.

My farm is in Grimes County. I have two pieces of property I can fly from the porch.

oklaunion
How far can you fly that thing from where the operator is standing? Reason I am asking is, from the first time I saw them, I figured every 2 bit thief in the county would be getting one to case a remote farm or ranch in order to find out what is on the property, how to get access and best time their criminal activities.
No insinuation directed at you, just have always wanted to know.
agfan2013
AG
Differs from model to model but phantoms can fly up to 1.2 miles away if it's really flat land.
oklaunion
Thanks. That's what I was afraid of.
ursusguy
AG
Very nice.
Bayou City
That sounds right. Standing in the middle of our property, we can get around our property and the property adjacent.
ursusguy
AG
Ag_of_08
AG
The dji is user friendly enough, but good luck if you break it. Friend runs a dji service center..... if you have electronic issues, you're lookin at 400$ in repairs.

Look at the alltell. Less money, better way point system , better fc.
ursusguy
AG
Lots of fun, up to date management implications with this.
Ag_of_08
AG
I also know a certain ag in the process of obtaining their operators license, and finishing up a 1100mm AP rig and a fixed wing aircraft for survey and mgmt, that will be in business by december
Bayou City
There are 2-3 companies around us that have already popped up. Gov't agencies are using them to make sure people are making the changes and keeping up on counts of livestock to compare against the rolls at tax time.

1 group is out of Katy, the other is out of Brenham. The Brenham group also is opening locations in SA, the big city of San Saba, and Victoria.

Nice seeing Ag's move into a soon to be exploding business.
Ag_of_08
AG
I'm based out of Beaumont. Will have rotary capability off the big quad for 4k video, and am planning to build a fix winged survey aircraft as well that can take large area top down.

I'm sure I'm fighting an uphill battle against people who already had 333 exemptions, but I want to see if I can make a real run at it.
2ndChanceAg96
AG
quote:
Look at the alltell. Less money, better way point system , better fc.
Do you mean autel? Sorry, I know nothing about drones so was just searching as I have been wanting to get one myself to do some land surveying on our ranch one day. I will be buying a cheapo here in a few weeks just to learn and fly before I go all in.
Ag_of_08
AG
Yes, Sorry my phone auto corrected. Really, really liking what I've seen out of the one I got to tinker with this weekend.

I Wish that DJI had not gone the route they did. They're not bad products, but they're regressing in their build quality and layout(3's are a nightmare, and 4's are so hard to get parts for ....good luck)

Autel seem to be putting out a really nice quality bird. Honestly the Chroma and the Yuneec's are nice as well, the autel just has a more capable FC.

What beginner bird are you thinking about?
Ag_of_08
AG
quote:
Thanks. That's what I was afraid of.
If you get your HAM license and a UHF trasnmission set, the range extends significantly from there.

It's illegal as hell to be out of line of sight, and if you get caught you get to play with the FAA, but it is very possible.
2ndChanceAg96
AG
quote:
What beginner bird are you thinking about?
I have never really flown one before and was told that buying a Syma would be best just to practice before spending $400+ on a bird. Do you have any recommendations?

I have been researching DJI and Yuneec mostly so glad you mentioned the Autel.
Ag_of_08
AG
If you've never flown anything, grab one of the little.dromedas. about 100$ rtf, nearly indestructible, and will teach you the muscle memory and orientation skills that are important. Honestly if you can learn to fly figure 8s and maneuver with amostly manual quad like that, you'll be fine with the bigger ones.

The three more advanced birds you mentioned are fine, or you co u ld look into building one of the extremely popular tarot frames. Building is pretty easy, and I'd be happy to give you a hand and point you in a good direction.
CanyonAg77
AG
http://www.dromida.com/index.php

PlanoAg98
AG
I too am a beginner looking for my first drone. I saw that the XL 370 mm FPV Camera Drone is only $250. That's Dromida's top of the line drone. Is that worth it or does it not do much more than those in the $150 range?
Ag_of_08
AG
Depends on what you're planning to do with it. I would get one of the cheaper ones to learn flight basics on, if I was planning to get a better bird in the near future. You can always get a cheap fpv backpack if you want to fpv with it as a begginer.

Another option is the blade inductrix. Go look up "tiny whoop racing"..... it's a little ~100$ micro, with the cover popped off and a cheap fpv backpack on it that they're racing on indoor tracks ( mainly inside houses and hobby shops). 70$ with the transmitter, you could get an fpv backpack for 30 or so, and a set of quanum goggles with a receiver for 100$, and you'd be irritating the hell out of your spouse by fpv pretty quickly lol.

The good thing about buying a little inexpensive drone that you can repair ( why I recommended the little dromeda), you can learn to fly well before you start worrying about big $ and cameras.
Fishin Texas Aggie 05
AG
quote:
and finishing up a 1100mm AP rig and a fixed wing aircraft for survey and mgmt, that will be in business by december

How does it even fly!!!!

What's the recoil of the 44in gun on the unit ?

Why are you shooting armour piercing?
Ag_of_08
AG
It's nearly big enough to carry a 20mm around ;-)

[URL=.html][/URL]

Here's the q500, autel xstar premium, and a phantom 4
[URL=.html][/URL]

I stopped in a friend's shop after a Dr appointment ( mainly cause I'm trying not to barf again and needed somewhere cool and not moving to sit) and snapped the pictures. They're dronezonecentral.com in beaumont if you start looking. I haven't worked for her in years, just come I'm here to pass the time!
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.