Outdoors
Sponsored by

Keeping crawfish alive overnight

36,583 Views | 28 Replies | Last: 8 yr ago by Tursiops93
dahouse
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Doing a boil on Sunday, just one sack. I know it's not likely that anyone will still have bugs in stock Sunday morning. What's the best way to keep them alive if I get them Saturday morning? My plan is to put a ice in the bottom of the cooler and cover with a towel, then place the unopened sack on top, then place another wet towel on top with some ice on that. Leave the drain hole open and keep a fan on them.

Or I can put the whole sack in my outside fridge.
Cody
Fightin Texas Aggie c/o 04
Willy Lee
AG
Your first plan will work just fine. I've done that many times. I've never tried putting in a fridge before...
Bob Sympkins
I always just cover them completely in ice and tilt the drain of the cooler downhill so the water drains off of them. I've keep them alive for over two days doing this.
Aggiehunter34
S
Just make sure you don't try this in a yeti. They will be a solid frozen block of ice.
JYDog90
AG
Don't close the lid, keep it vented.
Shelton98
AG
Fridge will work too.
MelvinUdall
What you suggested will work just fine, have done that numerous times in the past and never had an issue or a lot of dead ones.
BeardofZeus01
AG
ice chest method. you'll never fully get that stench out of the fridge ...
Dirty-8-thirty Ag
AG
Outdoor Life just put up a video yesterday on FB about keeping crawfish alive for 2-3 weeks in a storage container.

Step 1: Acquire a clear storage bin with a removable lid.

Step 2: Drill plenty holes in lid of storage container. This acts as a vent and a drain.

Step 3: Dump crawfish in container and add 2 inches of creek/lake water to bottom of bin. Throw in a few big pieces of lettuce off of a head of lettuce for food.

Step 4: When water begins to turn a dirty/murky color, flip on to lid. Water will drain, when empty add another 2 inches of creek water and more lettuce.

Supposedly this will keep them alive for a few weeks.

***Disclaimer*** - I haven't ever tried this, just relaying the info. from the video I saw yesterday.

EVA3
AG
Are you not purging them?
Tursiops93
AG
quote:
Are you not purging them?
I've never purged bugs, but I do rinse them off before cooking.
BeardofZeus01
AG
purging is basically rinsing/soaking a few additional times. Maybe adds another 2 beers to the total prep time. def worth it when you see the murk that comes out after the 2nd and 3rd soak. and you can weed out the dead bugs during the process ...
dahouse
AG
I do a fresh water wash. Basically put them in a cooler or pool with a drain and run clean water until the discharge is clean
Kenneth_2003
AG
Since they've got gills, why not just fill the cooler with ice water?
AgLA06
AG
quote:
purging is basically rinsing/soaking a few additional times. Maybe adds another 2 beers to the total prep time. def worth it when you see the murk that comes out after the 2nd and 3rd soak. and you can weed out the dead bugs during the process ...

Incorrect. Purging is a long salt bath. Some include other things like lemon grass. What you are describing is simply rinsing them multiple times.

I don't purge as LSU actually did a study that showed it's a waste of time. However I thoroughly rinse them multiple times to get the muck and grit off in a metal wash tub.
AgLA06
AG
quote:

Why do you think cold winters make crawfish prices higher?
BeardofZeus01
AG
thanks Webster ... should have put purging in quotations ... its commonly called "purging" (even if incorrect) when referring to rinsing crawfish prior to boiling. We basically said the same thing ...
AgLA06
AG
quote:
thanks Webster ... should have put purging in quotations ... its commonly called "purging" (even if incorrect) when referring to rinsing crawfish prior to boiling. We basically said the same thing ...

You don't know what you're talking about. I tried to educate you. I'd normally say ignorance is bliss, but in reality your obtuse (Webster).

The only thing that makes it worse is providing an uneducated opinion to those looking for help to do things the best way.
AgLA06
AG
quote:
I always just cover them completely in ice and tilt the drain of the cooler downhill so the water drains off of them. I've keep them alive for over two days doing this.

I typically don't put ice on the bottom. I put the crawfish in, cover with a layer of wetted towels and place ice on top with the drain open. I try to keep them cool and wet enough to survive, but not cold enough to harm them.
Texas Tea
AG
quote:
This is the answer.
Colonel A. 1976
AG
I don't give a hoot n hell what lsu said...always purge in salt water ... unless you like muddy crappy taste...40 years of cooking them and more if you include family history...always works and you get to discard the dead guys as stated above!
Col. A 1976
dahouse
AG
Saltwater kills crawfish. I'm amazed that people still do this. Restaraunt scan pay extra for cleaned bugs. They are cleaned with pressurized flow of fresh water.

Me and some buddies had that argument a couple of years ago. We went through several sources to get to the truth. LSU being the most visible. The others were restaraunts, crawfish suppliers, etc.
AgLA06
AG
quote:
I don't give a hoot n hell what lsu said...always purge in salt water ... unless you like muddy crappy taste...40 years of cooking them and more if you include family history...always works and you get to discard the dead guys as stated above!

You're fooling yourself. They're only cleaning them when you purge them by letting them sit in water for a long time. The salt only harms them and provides no benefit. You get all the same benefit without harming the crawfish or paying for salt without the wait by thoroughly rinsing them a couple of times.

This comes right back to you "don't give a hoot n hell" about reality because your unneeded, longer process gets to a similar result even though there are better ways to go.
Shilo
AG
quote:

I think they'll deplete the oxygen in the water and die. If you submerge them you'll prob either have to aerate the water or continuously flow through it. I'm no expert, but I do know if you submerge them in an ice chest for an extended period of time, even with lid propped, a lot will die.
dahouse
AG
I have them in the cooler. I'm a little concerned as the sack fills most of the cooler. Anyway, layer of ice with a towel under and on top. Drain open. Ice on top too. Cooler with lid open in bathtub. Not much movement but I'm assuming dormant due to ice
Cody
Fightin Texas Aggie c/o 04
dahouse
AG
If they die I'll cook chickens or something I guess
STX Ag
AG
When I used to live in Austin we had a boil one time and I bought the bugs the day before. Having never kept them overnight, I asked the guys who helped me how to do it. They said "well, they like warm water", and shrugged. So I put them in a big chest with bath water. Yeah, they all died.
Tony Franklins Other Shoe
AG
quote:
quote:

Why do you think cold winters make crawfish prices higher?
Shrinkage?
AZAG08
AG
quote:
When I used to live in Austin we had a boil one time and I bought the bugs the day before. Having never kept them overnight, I asked the guys who helped me how to do it. They said "well, they like warm water", and shrugged. So I put them in a big chest with bath water. Yeah, they all died.
We caught a big catfish one winter in lake livingston. We left it in the cooler with water overnight. The girl I was dating at the time felt bad for the fish because it was cold and poured in warm/hot water -- It was belly up when I checked it in the morning.

...just to add to the story, she went to texas.
Tursiops93
AG
And this one time...at Band Camp....
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.