Outdoors
Sponsored by

Opinions needed on best wading boots for fishing the flats

25,852 Views | 32 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Finn Maccumhail
rgarza35
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I have been shopping for boots for fishing the flats. My old leather converse all stars have bitten the dust. The reviews on the shopping sites vary widely. I prefer a real boot/shoe versus the sock type. Does any one have any history good or bad with any of these models? I am open to suggestions that I have not listed here.

TIA

Simms Flats Fishing Sneaker

Patagonia marl walkers

Orvis Andros Flats Hickers

Foreverlast Baffin Stalker Flats boot

Frogg Togg Aransas Boots

Sorry for the images, they looked great when I loaded them in.
FIDO*98*
AG
I have the Frog Toggs and they are very comfortable plus I like the ease of the zipper. I've only gone out 3-4 times so durability remains to be seen. Then again for what they cost they can be replaced several times over for what you'd pay for some of the others.

Simms also just came out with a boot called the VaporTread saltwater that are getting good early reviews.
Finn Maccumhail
AG
I have the Simms Flats Sneakers and they're excellent. Had them 3 years of pretty solid use and no complaints whatsoever.
MouthBQ98
AG
In footie waders, or on your bare feet?
ttha_aggie_09
AG
quote:
I have the Simms Flats Sneakers and they're excellent. Had them 3 years of pretty solid use and no complaints whatsoever.

This
rgarza35
AG
Bare feet.
Old Sarge
AG
I still use the original Predator high calf wading boots, and use Ray Guards over them. They're the predecessor to the Ray Guard boots today.

Leg Armor. Use it.

For those that say shuffling is all you need to do, it is a matter of when, not if, they get hit. I was and still am a shuffler, but one slip off an unseen drop off was all it took. Barb of the ray went in at the soft spot just in front of the outside "ankle" bone. Went in till it hit one of the lower leg bones (can't remember which one, do not care) and then he drove it up my leg a few inches scratching the bone all the way. He took the barb with him leaving muscle strands hanging out of my Shimano wading boot. It was a special kind of pain.

Nasty infection and surgery was my participation prize.
Neches21
^ just cringing while reading this

I use Forever Last ray guards and Patagonia Marl Walkers.
I wear Simms neoprene socks with the Marl Walkers.
Theyve done really well in mud, sand, and on oyster beds.
malenurse
AG
quote:
For those that say shuffling is all you need to do, it is a matter of when, not if, they get hit. I was and still am a shuffler, but one slip off an unseen drop off was all it took. Barb of the ray went in at the soft spot just in front of the outside "ankle" bone. Went in till it hit one of the lower leg bones (can't remember which one, do not care) and then he drove it up my leg a few inches scratching the bone all the way. He took the barb with him leaving muscle strands hanging out of my Shimano wading boot. It was a special kind of pain.
SanAntoneAg
AG
Back when I used to wade a lot I used the black neoprene side zips from Academy. They were $20 or $30 back then. Never had problems with them. That being said, the vast majority of my wading wasn't on mud bottoms.
magnoliaag
I've been wade fishing 25+ years and have experienced multiple ray hits on different guys. Results were mostly not huge, but a couple were not good. I wear EverLast Flats boots which are comfortable and sometime add a shin guard depending on the area. A lot folks I fish with use the the entire EverLast Ray boot, I don't prefer the weight of that. But, I make my kids wear them.
PFG
AG
I like staying in the boat. K thanks.
Centerpole90
AG
I have the Simms flats sneaker and have been more than satisfied with them.

I also walked in the Marls with them on a bonefish trip.

So technically I made Marl Walkers out of my simms sneakers.

Bet Patagonia never saw that coming.
MouthBQ98
AG
I have a set of the full rayguard boots, then I also have a set of the wrap around guards I use with reef boots. I've beek yakking over flats and seen incredible numbers of rays year round.
Finn Maccumhail
AG
If you want to wear ray guards that's your business. I've never felt the need to wear them. Odds of getting hit are about like getting struck by lightning.
FIDO*98*
AG
quote:
If you want to wear ray guards that's your business. I've never felt the need to wear them. Odds of getting hit are about like getting struck by lightning.

Yeah, but, I can reduce my odds of getting struck by lightning by not going out in a thunderstorm. Stingrays are always out there
TheGroupGuy
Owned 2 pairs of the Simms and the last is 3 years old and wearing out I will not be buying more.
Having waded 40 years and been hit by a stingray some of y'all might really consider listening to the voices of experience. Worst pain I have experienced. Wound took 4 months to heal.
Sgt. Hartman
AG
I have seen the pictures and they look a whole lot more painful than a lightning strike so Everlast reef boots and Ray guards. Not real comfortable but they are good insurance.
ttha_aggie_09
AG
Someone mentioned it earlier, but buying the shin guards seperate and then wearing a nice set of wading boots is the best of both worlds. The full ever last ray guards suck and are a pain to walk in.

I like having the flexibility to just take the shin guards off when I am wading an oyster reef or very clear water and then being able to put them back on for deeper, dirtier stuff.
Old Sarge
AG
Finn,

Just so happens that one of the guys I was fishing with the day I got hit on my earlier post, had been hit almost exactly one year before. If it were not for him getting hit the year before and having preparations on the boat and knowing that hot water was the ONLY pain relief I would have been much worse off.

The chances of getting hit by lightning and getting hit by a ray while wading are not even close. Getting hit by a ray while wading is mostly a time in the water ratio. Lightning chances are WAY lower.

I was a paranoid shuffler-wader. In fact, when I hollered out to my buds who were much farther away from the boat at that point than I was, the first comment was NFW, not YOU.

It happens, much to often. Stingrays are the rattlesnake on the saltwater flats, at probably a higher count ratio.

For those that wade and care:

1. Have hydrogen peroxide on your boat.
2. Have powdered meat tenderizer (can't remember name) on your boat.
3. Have a elongated bucket on your boat that you can put a foot of your size in. (see below)
4. Have something to cover your outboard motor's water intake cover on both sides on your boat.
5. You will need to cover the motors water intake until the motor gets hot, but not overheated, then catch the first water off the hot water ejection port (pee hole) into the bucket when you remove the inlet covers. Put that hot water into the bucket. It will be the ONLY source of pain relief you can get the ray wounded. Repeat this process until you can get to a launch point that has a hot water heater. Fill the bucket with hot water of any source right before leaving to get to a clinic. HOT water is the only relief you will find until what the doctors can administer, and sometimes, they will have to change their original thought.

I have a high pain tolerance for major things according to most folks that have commented (have been accused of griping about paper cuts, and scoffing about stiches). I have had ingrown toenails cut out without anesthetic, broken bones, and the like. That big ray nailed me. When the hot water ran out I was in a bind. The first shot the doc gave me, I told him just bring more hot water. The second, as per what he told me, I did not care. All was good. (narcs?_

I have heard and read stories of people passing out, or hallucinating from the pain, and severe lymphoid swelling. I was lucky in that regard. Imagine if you were wading by yourself and got hit like I was, with no help. I was 50 yards from the boat. I was on my hands an knees in shallow water thankfully, because putting weight on that ankle felt like it was getting broken slowly in a vise.

Wear leg armor, and reconsider wading by yourself.
MouthBQ98
AG
I worked with a guy that waded half a mile back to his boat with a barb harpooning two of his toes together.
Funky Winkerbean
AG
quote:

I used to say the same thing until my son got hit. The barb only scraped him but it was enough to change my views.
JSM96
AG
Full Rayguard boots for the past 10 years and haven't thought a single time about what I might step on. I used to spend to much time shuffling and looking for discs in the sand, now I look for bait on the horizon. The peace of mind trumps any uncomfort associated with ray boots. I wear them in the surf too. Went to the urgent care clinic in Lake Jackson last summer b/c I was sick on a weekend. There were 3 different ray victims sitting in the waiting room when I walked in. The nurse told me that was 6 ray patients so far for the weekend. 4 from Surfside, 2 from SLP. It's damn common if you live on the coast.
Dirty-8-thirty Ag
AG
My Foreverlast wading boots work just fine. Haven't ever wore rayguards, but am considering now with all of the stories yall guys have. Do regular soccer shin guards work?
ttha_aggie_09
AG
quote:
My Foreverlast wading boots work just fine. Haven't ever wore rayguards, but am considering now with all of the stories yall guys have. Do regular soccer shin guards work?

Just buy the actual guards at academy for like 15-20 bucks.

This thread is certainly scaring some folks. A lot of validity to it, but I have been fishing with a guy in Port O that has never worn ray guards, just the Simms boots or something equivalent, and he fishes probably 150-175 days a year. And has been for 40 years without ever getting popped.

Everyone is susceptible to Rays but if you take precautionary measures, it's not a certainty that you will get tagged like everyone is making it out to be.

I still would encourage wearing the shin guards and shuffling your feet... Just don't think people need to be scared or feel like they have to wear chainmail every time they wade.
ttha_aggie_09
AG
Thank you for sharing!
Old Sarge
AG
Gonna drag this thread out of the "archives", but I was a two time poster on this one, and had a bad experience with rays.

I still have my original Predator boots and ray guards and still use them wading when I get the chance to go (rare, as 12 yr old is playing travel baseball, still).

He is growing, and is not too far from my size of 12. I can put a thick neoprene sock on him, and they'd probably fit. They are older equipment, but still work well. I am thinking of "asking Santa" for a pair of the Everlast Ray Guard/boot combo for Christmas and passing my old set off to him, but have seen some pretty crappy reviews of this item on durability (I know they're heavy, like the set I have), and it is expensive at $120 for a paired combo, when I can get the shorter boot and separate guards at a $40 savings.

What are the durability reviews for those on the OB with the higher boot/guard connected combo?

Thanks in advance.
patters10
AG
Old Sarge,

My foreverlast boots have not been very durable and am on my third pair in 2 years. I wade the flats and surf and wash them each time and I've had the fabric tear, clasps break, and the soles wear out way too fast. But my thoughts are the price for a new pair is cheaper than a hospital visit.

I haven't been hit when wearing them(knock on wood) but does anyone have a first hand experience that they actually work?
Aggieangler93
AG
I fish in Simms Flats boots (maybe called Flats Stalker at the time), that look exactly like the ones Foreverlast Baffin knock offs, (see pic from OP). I wear them in the summer with simms neoprene socks, and in the winter without the neoprene socks, as my simms waders have the same neoprene thickness in the built in feet.

I also use the crackshot guards (think gaiters), which are like the foreverlast ones, except made in OK, and have a lifetime warranty.

I used to have the foreverlast moon boots before these and my feet would cramp and hurt like hell after a long day wading in them. I also had buckles, etc break, and I baby my gear.

You cannot beat the feel of the Simms on your feet. It's like wearing a hiking boot all day. The warranty rocks also. They are a little more, but my foot is not growing, so I have had this pair for 5 years. At that point, I lose track of what I even paid for something. In the winter, we sometimes wear the Simms boot all day on the boat anyway, as it is so comfortable, even if we just wade a few hours in the morning.

If I was buying new today, I would buy the Simms Vapor Treads. They will last longer than your feet, unless you are continuously on oyster reefs, and then nothing will last more than a few hundred days, at that.

I believe I bought mine 1/2 size bigger, or maybe a whole size bigger than what I wear in sneakers. I can verify that tomorrow morning, if needed.
Class of '93 - proud Dad of a '22 grad and a '26 student!
rather be fishing
AG
I have an old school pair of Orvis canvas felt soled boots that have been awesome with a pair of wading socks. Unfortunately the molding around the sole have taken a lot of damage and I keep getting veg jammed up in between the molding and the sole.

They don't make those boots anymore but if you can find then on ebay or something, definitely buy them.

I need to find a new salt wading boot.
sunchaser
AG
I doubt you can find them as they were dropped by Patagonia but their Marlwalkers are the best. I had two pair still in the box that survived Hurricane Harvey. Certainly worth a google search.
Salt of the water
AG
Neoprene boots are convenient but I seem to get better life out of lace up boots. I don't know of any lace ups that come with Ray guards so you'd have to buy them separately.
hook60
Aggieangler93 said:

I fish in Simms Flats boots (maybe called Flats Stalker at the time), that look exactly like the ones Foreverlast Baffin knock offs, (see pic from OP). I wear them in the summer with simms neoprene socks, and in the winter without the neoprene socks, as my simms waders have the same neoprene thickness in the built in feet.

I also use the crackshot guards (think gaiters), which are like the foreverlast ones, except made in OK, and have a lifetime warranty.

I used to have the foreverlast moon boots before these and my feet would cramp and hurt like hell after a long day wading in them. I also had buckles, etc break, and I baby my gear.

You cannot beat the feel of the Simms on your feet. It's like wearing a hiking boot all day. The warranty rocks also. They are a little more, but my foot is not growing, so I have had this pair for 5 years. At that point, I lose track of what I even paid for something. In the winter, we sometimes wear the Simms boot all day on the boat anyway, as it is so comfortable, even if we just wade a few hours in the morning.

If I was buying new today, I would buy the Simms Vapor Treads. They will last longer than your feet, unless you are continuously on oyster reefs, and then nothing will last more than a few hundred days, at that.

I believe I bought mine 1/2 size bigger, or maybe a whole size bigger than what I wear in sneakers. I can verify that tomorrow morning, if needed.
This is my exact set up and love it.
Finn Maccumhail
AG
Troutslime said:

Quote:

I used to say the same thing until my son got hit. The barb only scraped him but it was enough to change my views.

Everyone is different and I've been popped by a ray once. I was fortunate that I got slashed across the shin rather than stabbed but I just haven't worried that much about it.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.