Outdoors
Sponsored by

Leak in home slab?

3,427 Views | 26 Replies | Last: 8 yr ago by danieljustin06
Waltonloads08
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG

Used to think this was caused by sprinkler system overspray, but I haven't run the sprinkler for a week. Area not far from where sewer line comes out of house. Bathroom on interior.

Plumbers come out Monday. Busted pipe?
schmellba99
AG
It is possible, but it's also possible that is just mold growing from the fact that the base of your brick facia is going to be wet longer than anything else. You have weep holes there and it is only limited to the base joint between the brick and foundation.
Matt_s
AG
Is there any internal evidence of a leak?

We had something similar happen on our last house and there was significant damage to carpet, wood floor, etc.

If that is from water running along the baseplate, you'd see something inside.
Duck Blind
AG
Look behind your AC units. There appears to more water running down the slab there. What's on the other side, in the house? With that kind of water appearing on the outside, you'd have to see it inside. I'm with Schmellba on this...
leanderag82
AG
I don't see any weep holes @ the base of the bricks. Get a masonry drill bit and put some in. If there are weep holes in place, make sure they are clear.
Scriffer
AG
I had this same thing about this time last year. Foundation shifted a bit and cracked the drain pipe from the upstairs shower. Definitely check for water on the inside. Our bathrooms are stacked, so any water would have stayed behind the tile. I only noticed it because I was mowing out there right after I cleaned the upstairs shower.

Hope it's not that serious.
toolshed
AG
What is the water line going through the brick wall with the gate valve? Is that your main water into the house? The brick ledge (bottom of the brick/ mortar) is an inch and a half lower than the finished slab of the house. That line could be dripping inside the air gap between the brick and the framed wall, running along that brick ledge and weeping out through the mortar under the bottom row of bricks. There could be a leak from a joint, split from a freeze way back, etc. At least that's my two cents.

Edit to add: upon further inspection, it looks like someone turned an old hose bib into a yard line, drip or irrigation of some sort with the broken pvc there. But the same theory holds true if there's water pressure behind that gate valve. The joint may not have sealed properly in the wall or just started leaking over time.
Waltonloads08
AG
Not in the attic, but along the baseboard on the interior, which is in our master bed right at the entrance to the master bath, it does appear like there could be moisture. Not a lot, but some paint is bunched up and the drywall seems a bit off.
Waltonloads08
AG
Will get it checked out. You are right about it being an old hose bib. I do think there is still water in the pipe
jt2hunt
AG
is there any place that water runs to the ground? Where is the ac condensate drain lain and/or hot water t&p valve drain line?
clem93
AG
Mine looked just like that with no evidence of a leak inside. It was a dishwasher leak at the inlet valve. Cost me and my insurance company nearly $15k... well mostly the insurance company.
SquawkITag
AG
Check to see if your weep holes are clear. This is a very common issue. Unknowing masons or builders forget to properly leave weep holes in the brick and the moisture will stay behind your brick veneer and sheathing material.

You can punch out some of the verticle mortar every 4-5th brick on the botton coarse to make enough drainage to prevent the moisture behind the brick.
Google Weep holes for photos. The devil is in the details!

Goose06
AG
My father in law is currently dealing with a water leak in his slab. It's not covered by his insurance and a fix is going to run well into the thousands. Evidently Ho B policies don't cover this but Ho A policies do? I may have gotten that wrong, but someone smarter on home insurance can correct me if so.
VaultingChemist
AG
quote:
My father in law is currently dealing with a water leak in his slab. It's not covered by his insurance and a fix is going to run well into the thousands. Evidently Ho B policies don't cover this but Ho A policies do? I may have gotten that wrong, but someone smarter on home insurance can correct me if so.
I had my hot water line bust under my slab. Plumber used a hammer drill and sledge hammer to bust up the slab to reach the copper line. Cost less than $500 to repair it.
Goose06
AG
You mind referring me to your plumber? My FIL is in dfw, his problem is also the hot water line.
Mr. Dubi
We had a similar issue with our rent house; the symptom was either water coming out of the slab under the bricks behind the toilet in the master bath or sewage seeping around the base of the toilet in the master bath. I thought the toilet was not properly seated, I replaced the wax ring several times, and eventually the toilet. But the problem persisted intermittently for years.

I eventually dug up the back yard and found that the clay sever line had collapsed causing the waste water to back up during times of high waste--like running dishwasher, washing machine, shower or two and toilet or two running in succession. I patched the sewer line, and no more problems for the last two years.
BoerneGator
AG
How'd you isolate/locate the collapsed sewer line? Wet area or green spot give it away? Those spots can be hard to locate in other than drought conditions.
VaultingChemist
AG
quote:
You mind referring me to your plumber? My FIL is in dfw, his problem is also the hot water line.
PM sent.

When my hot water line leaked, I noticed how warm the carpet was. I pulled the carpet up and marked the warmest place on the slab. The plumber used a hammer drill to make a circular pattern around 12" in diameter, with the holes spaced real close to each other. Several big swings with an 8 lb sledge hammer broke the slab up. (Make sure your hot water line has been turned off for a while).

He found the line, dug out the sand around the line, and enlarged the hole so he could fix the line. He cut the bad place out of the line and replaced it with a short piece. After testing the line, he left. He told me to put the sand back around the line and make sure it was covered by a couple of inches. I used some Quickrete to fill and level the slab, which took me longer than it should because I tried to make it perfectly flat and smooth. You can also put insecticide in the hole prior to cementing, if you think you need it for termite protection. After curing for one or two days, we restretched the carpet and we haven't noticed it since that time.
toolshed
AG
Any luck in locating the leak?
Waltonloads08
AG
First, the original owner set new tile on top of old, and failed to put a wax ring under the toilet, allowing water and whatever else to seep under the floor, into the wall. Pretty great.

In addition, the shower pan test revealed a leak in the pan. So guess who's getting a new bathroom?

texrover91
AG
That's unfortunate but it could be worse (I know from experience)

I would recommend checking weep holes and if you remove any brick with the renovations check your air gap! You'd be surprised what can happen there
toolshed
AG
Sounds like some genius watched too much HGTV but didn't want to put in the work during demo! I can't imagine what demoing that floor is going to be like, with all the water and crap, literally, between the tiles! Congrats and good luck with the remodel!
Waltonloads08
AG
Thats a good tip, thanks.
Waltonloads08
AG
Oh man. I hadn't even thought about that
dubi
AG
quote:
How'd you isolate/locate the collapsed sewer line? Wet area or green spot give it away? Those spots can be hard to locate in other than drought conditions.

It was collapsed just a foot outside the foundation of the house.

Also where the line collapses you get small sink holes in your yard; we did at both our houses and both had clay sewer lines.
dubi
AG
quote:
First, the original owner set new tile on top of old, and failed to put a wax ring under the toilet, allowing water and whatever else to seep under the floor, into the wall. Pretty great.

This is just nasty. Hire out the demo and cleaning.
Bighamp03
AG
Looks like you got it figured out, but I was going to say the exact same thing happened to me and it was a water leak from the pipe feeding the shower head. It would leak into the wall and drain out like that. I have no idea how long it had been doing it before I figured it out.

The door to the pooping room (water closet) wouldn't close. It was that way for a while before I finally got around to trying to fix it. Once I started messing with the door frame I noticed the baseboards seemed wet. I started investigating, found soft Sheetrock, punched a hole in the wall, and was greeted by a crapload of mold.

My wife hated the tile and shower glass, so I'm pretty sure she did it on purpose somehow. I ended up filing an insurance claim.
danieljustin06
AG
Check walls, ceilings, doors, floors, cabinets and such around. If there a bunch of cracks and/or separations of the walls at the corners or from the ceiling, separation of crown mouldings and/or cabinets from walls and ceilings call you insurance. You might have foundation movement. If there is movement and they determine the leak caused the movement, they might provide coverage. (I used to work in the field.)
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.