Outdoors
Sponsored by

Old baitcasting reel question - Abu Garcia

4,064 Views | 4 Replies | Last: 8 yr ago by powerbiscuit
Strongwind86
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I'm cleaning up some of my dad's old fishing stuff. I've picked through the stuff that has sentimental value to me. I've got a few old Abu Garcia baitcasting reels that I don't think I have a use for... All are right hand models (I'm left handed with a baitcaster). I've cleaned them up and oiled them - they all work fine. Pretty smooth.

5000D
6500C
UC4600C

Did a little looking around on eBay and Craigslist on the values - curious what they are really worth. Looks like the 5000D is worth $60+ with the other being worth less...

What does the OB think?
Thx SW '86

aggies 88/90
AG
Interesting that Ebay had them around $60 - I wasn't sure what the market price would be. My dad still has several of the old 5000C, which was the red version of your dad's 5000D, I believe. I can't really answer your question as to what they're worth, but it's pretty cool that 30-40 year old reels are bringing that much on Ebay. I would think that owner's manual in the pic would add some value, also.

They were the gold standard for years. I coveted my dad's while I learned to fish with the closed faced spin-casters. When I did "graduate" to the red level winds, I had achieved "man" status as an angler!

BrazosDog02
AG
They are worth what someone will pay for them. Personally, I wouldn't give more than about 20 bucks for them. I have about 4 of those style...5000's...6000's...and I have a 5000 series that came in the walnut box with a gold plated reel (don't get excited about the 700 dollar value on it, my old man used the hell out of that reel, LOL and I still fish with it).

I wouldn't pay more than about 20 for these because they are older technology and I have several of them (they are worth more). Its difficult to find parts for them...but...ive never needed a part for them in 30 years so....

Your 5000D is a special kind of reel. It is a direct drive. You can't horse a fish with that one like you can the 'regular' ones, you will break the line. Pull the line, the handle spins backwards. May not be worth any more really. In case you don't know, that knurled drag knob is designed to apply very little drag resistance with your FINGERS...don't use pliers to get it tight. Its not supposed to be. I had to fix my buddies because he used pliers.

When I fish saltwater, I actually prefer the older ones like you have in your post. They aren't necessarily smoother than new Abu's but they cast further....I use them side by side. Plus...there is a lot of brass and metal in them that holds up better than the new ones with all the damn bearings. Those bearings will rust and they will swell and you will destroy a reel removing them if you arent careful (these are the 15 dollar craigslist specials that I love). The new ones are great if you take care of them.

For the older ones, Id say 40-50 is a good price if they are in functional condition with some boat rash. 60-100 if they are even nicer and you snag some sort of collector. My hobby is buying any abu for about 15-20 bucks in 'broken' condition and then repairing or frankensteining them out of my parts bin. Its fun and you may have a reel with multiple colored sideplates but it works like new. LOL.

They are great reels though. That's what I started fishing on and there is no Shimano that will change my mind at this point. (my Calcutta has never seen the water)

Edit: That 4000 series reel with braided line is the f-ing bomb. Light line, small bait..you can cast it to China. Seriously.
Strongwind86
AG
quote:
They are worth what someone will pay for them. Personally, I wouldn't give more than about 20 bucks for them. I have about 4 of those style...5000's...6000's...and I have a 5000 series that came in the walnut box with a gold plated reel (don't get excited about the 700 dollar value on it, my old man used the hell out of that reel, LOL and I still fish with it).

I wouldn't pay more than about 20 for these because they are older technology and I have several of them (they are worth more). Its difficult to find parts for them...but...ive never needed a part for them in 30 years so....

Your 5000D is a special kind of reel. It is a direct drive. You can't horse a fish with that one like you can the 'regular' ones, you will break the line. Pull the line, the handle spins backwards. May not be worth any more really. In case you don't know, that knurled drag knob is designed to apply very little drag resistance with your FINGERS...don't use pliers to get it tight. Its not supposed to be. I had to fix my buddies because he used pliers.

When I fish saltwater, I actually prefer the older ones like you have in your post. They aren't necessarily smoother than new Abu's but they cast further....I use them side by side. Plus...there is a lot of brass and metal in them that holds up better than the new ones with all the damn bearings. Those bearings will rust and they will swell and you will destroy a reel removing them if you arent careful (these are the 15 dollar craigslist specials that I love). The new ones are great if you take care of them.

For the older ones, Id say 40-50 is a good price if they are in functional condition with some boat rash. 60-100 if they are even nicer and you snag some sort of collector. My hobby is buying any abu for about 15-20 bucks in 'broken' condition and then repairing or frankensteining them out of my parts bin. Its fun and you may have a reel with multiple colored sideplates but it works like new. LOL.

They are great reels though. That's what I started fishing on and there is no Shimano that will change my mind at this point. (my Calcutta has never seen the water)

Edit: That 4000 series reel with braided line is the f-ing bomb. Light line, small bait..you can cast it to China. Seriously.
Thanks for the info BD02 - appreciate the run-down of the "vintage" reels. It's funny...as I was cleaning them up I had a feeling about the 5000D - Of the three reels that one seemed to get my attention.

It's a shame they aren't left handed reels....I would like to fish with them. I just can't make the "right hand" crank the reel.... Guess I'm stuck with my Curados and Chronarchs.....

Thx again - SW '86
Terk
AG
I've got several old Ambassadeurs that I use regularly and a few that I keep on a shelf in the office.

Good reels, not normally worth a ton, but I give probably 40-50 a reel if they aren't beat to hell.
powerbiscuit
quote:

It's a shame they aren't left handed reels....I would like to fish with them. I just can't make the "right hand" crank the reel.... Guess I'm stuck with my Curados and Chronarchs.....

Thx again - SW '86

Do you think you might end up with a right handed kid or nephew?
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.