Outdoors
Sponsored by

Urban Game Camera Surprise

7,464 Views | 26 Replies | Last: 9 yr ago by dr_boogs
CanyonAg77
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Update: Now with Video (scroll down)

EDIT:
I might have fooled myself. Going to leave the OP as I typed it, but scroll down the thread to see how I may have blown it.

For some context, I live in a typical small town neighborhood. Anyone who's been to the Panhandle-Plains Museum in Canyon, I'm a few blocks east and a little south of there. Also southwest of the new WTAMU event center. Houses all around, but it's only about 4-5 blocks to open space along Tierra Blanca Creek, a branch of Palo Duro Creek, which runs into the Palo Duro Canyon, starting about 2-3 miles from my house.

So I've had a game cam out on the farm for a while. Partially to catch thieves, partially to see what animals come by. I might post some of those later. But a neighbor told me that he had seen some grey fox in our neighborhood. No surprise there, they're pretty common. And he also told me a bobcat came through his yard. I was a lot more skeptical of that one. I've seen exactly one bobcat in the wild since I moved here in 1994, and that was near our farm, a good 7 miles from town, and a mile off Tierra Blanca.

So I set up a water bowl in the back yard, and set up the game cam. Got lots of birds, which I suspected. Got lots of neighborhood cats. One was fat and yellow, I thought he might be our "bobcat". But finally I caught the fox...or the pair of foxes as it turned out.

But last night, I did manage to catch the bobcat, to my surprise.

Although I'll be darned if it doesn't look like he's wearing a collar here.

Dirty-8-thirty Ag
AG
Sure does look like a collar in that last pic.
Lungblood
Get Stephen McGee on the horn
EMY92
AG
I've never seen a bobcat, but a neighbor showed me pictures of one with a couple of cubs in my front yard.
CanyonAg77
AG
1) Just realized the title should be suburban, not urban. Oh well.

Some old photos, just to add to the thread:

Fox in tree outside WTAMU's Kimbrough Stadium (north of Canyon), 7 years ago

And some from Hale County, two years ago, inside a barn full of antique tractors

NW80
AG
No offense, but I don't think that's a Bobcat.
CanyonAg77
AG
quote:
No offense, but I don't think that's a Bobcat.
Willing to listen to your reasoning. Part of the reason I post here is to learn. For size reference, that water dish is 16" in diameter. Be one big puddy tat if it's a domestic cat. And it's a fenced yard, so it has to be capable of climbing a 6 foot fence.
ursusguy
AG
The top and third photo, there should be a very prominent white dot on the back of the ears. Bobcats also usually have a prominent black tip of the tail, with a little white at the very tip.
CanyonAg77
AG
Thanks usurus. Especially looking at the ears, they don't match up. Seems NW80 may be right. Would also explain why my neighbor claimed the "bobcat" meowed at him.

Camera is still up. We'll see if we get more definitive photos. Seems like once critters find the water dish, they return.

Embarrassing to make an error, but that's how we learn. Was still fun to confirm foxes in the neighborhood.
TexasAggie_02
Log
AG
It looks like a bobcat until you really focus on the tail. The perspective makes it look like it is short (aka bobcat), but if you concentrate on it for a bit, the tail seems to be normal length, and only looks short due to, again, the perspective.

The markings make it look very bobcat-ish as well.
evan_aggie
AG
Tail does look shorter. Reference pics online show darker markings though.
ursusguy
AG
Don't get hung up on the length of the tail, we had several in the bobcat study that had relatively long tails.
Chazz03
AG
The fox is able to scale the fence or jump it?
ursusguy
ursusguy
AG
They climb trees all the time, a fence barely slows them down. It's of of the reasons they frequently get mistaken for mountain lions....not kidding.
CanyonAg77
AG
quote:
The fox is able to scale the fence or jump it?
Note the photo of the fox in the tree....I had to Google it up myself. Grey foxes have claws that allow them to climb. From Wiki:
quote:
The gray fox's ability to climb trees is shared only with the Asian raccoon dog among canids. Its strong, hooked claws allow it to scramble up trees to escape many predators...or to reach tree-bound or arboreal food sources. It can climb branchless, vertical trunks to heights of 18 meters and jump from branch to branch

Pretty cool critters. And I checked the camera this morning. No foxes last night, nor any real or imagined bobcats.
Chazz03
AG
Your comment about questioning a cat being able to scale the fence had me questioning the fox.
CanyonAg77
AG
quote:
Your comment about questioning a cat being able to scale the fence had me questioning the fox.
????????????????????

If you're talking to me, the comment about the fence was just to make sure no one thought it was a yellow lab.
FullDraw
AG
The "collar" doesn't mean it's not a bobcat though. I've got multiple pictures of Bobcats in my neck of the woods with some kind of tracking collar placed on them.

It actually looks like a bobcat to me. Night time photos are quite poor for identifying marks sometimes, but I'll trust the experts here.
techno-ag
AG
Need video.
CanyonAg77
AG
quote:
Need video.
Ask and ye shall receive. It just took me a few weeks to catch him again. Looks like it is a housecat, but can you blame me for thinking bobcat?

Linkeroonie

And the water dish is 16 inches across, so nose-to-tail length appears to be 30 to 32 inches.
techno-ag
GatorAg03
AG
It is quite impressive that you stuck with it and got a video to solve the mystery. Well done!
CanyonAg77
AG
I'm keeping the game camera up for fun. Lots of neighborhood cats, the foxes, lots of birds, and even a skunk. May post some other video later.
ursusguy
AG
Very cool, and can certainly see the cause for confusion.
dr_boogs
AG
You've had 47 watches on your bobcat video so far! Just a few more and you'll be "trending".
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.