Outdoors
Sponsored by

American Sniper

7,610 Views | 29 Replies | Last: 9 yr ago by aggiedata
Hoss
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Just saw it. Wow.
TylerAg98
AG
How did you see it? Select theater? Can't wait
Hoss
AG
It was playing at AMC Northpark in Dallas and we bought tickets. Very good movie. Everyone in the theater left in complete silence. First time I'd ever seen that before.
dr_boogs
AG
I had a similar experience when I saw Saving Private Ryan in a packed theater in Abilene one summer many years ago. No one made a sound headed out of the theater. Just finished the Pacific series Spielberg did for HBO a few years ago. Pretty solid - worth checking it out if you haven't seen it.

Looking forward to Eastwood's film. Wish more American citizens would see these films as more than entertainment. They are often a testament to the generations of brave men and women who have sacrificed so much to protect our liberty.

With two kids under 3, I'm on the delayed program of watching the few movies I get to check out when they come out on DVD or Netflix/Amazon. So I'll get to see it.....eventually!
FirefightAg
AG
Saw it there at 5:15 today. Not as good as I hoped. I did read the book twice and thought it was great.
Hoss
AG
quote:
Saw it there at 5:15 today. Not as good as I hoped. I did read the book twice and thought it was great.

Four of us went...me, my dad and my two brothers-in-law. We all thought it was great. Bradley Cooper played the part better than I thought he would. There was a lot in the book they had to cut out for the sake of time, but I still thought it was very good. I'd watch it again...and I definitely recommend it.
EFE
AG
How bad is Coopers fake Texan accent in the movie? The little bit of it that I heard in the trailer sounds like it would annoy me to no end.
AGHouston11
AG
I can't find the release date in houston?
ShaggyAggie01
AG
quote:
How bad is Coopers fake Texan accent in the movie? The little bit of it that I heard in the trailer sounds like it would annoy me to no end.

this is my fear, especially considering my Dad's side of the family is from the same general area of Texas.
BrazosDog02
AG
You guys live in Texas right? Ive been to more than a few parts of this state and heard all kinds of dialects and accenta. I asure yiu There isn't a person that can do a "bad" Texas accent worse than some natives.

Sheesh.....are we really going to complain about this in a movie?
Hwy30East
quote:
It was playing at AMC Northpark in Dallas and we bought tickets. Very good movie. Everyone in the theater left in complete silence. First time I'd ever seen that before.

When I saw Lone Survivor it was the same way. The lights came on and nobody got in a hurry to leave, and no one ever said a word in a packed theater.
Hoss
AG
For those of you asking about his accent, I think when you watch the movie you won't really pay any attention to it.
schmellba99
AG
quote:
You guys live in Texas right? Ive been to more than a few parts of this state and heard all kinds of dialects and accenta. I asure yiu There isn't a person that can do a "bad" Texas accent worse than some natives.

You do realize this is the OB, correct? I mean, there have already been a thread or two dissecting the trailers and the incorrect aspects in those....
FirefightAg
AG
[fake smiles] Oh I mean it was great [keeps smiling]

On a real note, I didn't say I didn't like it or that it was a bad movie. I just said that it wasn't as good as I hoped. I read No Easy day and saw Zero Dark Thirty and was pretty impressed. I was even more impressed with Lone Survivor. When they said Mark Wallburg was play Marcus Luttrell I didn't think it seemed right, but I was proven wrong. Like I mentioned I read American Sniper and just don't believe the movie was as great as the other two mentioned. I'd watch it again sure.

Disclaimer: I'm not a professional movie critic, I just happened to see the movie.
Aggietaco
AG
Was really upset when I found out it wasn't playing nationwide until 1/16. North park in Dallas is the closest theater playing it in Austin.
ShaggyAggie01
AG
quote:
Was really upset when I found out it wasn't playing nationwide until 1/16. North park in Dallas is the closest theater playing it in Austin.

yeah, i'm not sure wtf they're thinking.
TresPuertas
AG
quote:

yeah, i'm not sure wtf they're thinking.

Chris Kyle was from the Dallas area and his offices are here, as well as his family....
metrag06
AG
He was from north Texas and his family is still there. Only other locations are LA and NYC.

Sucks for me too as I'm in Houston - dad was rubbing it in that he's going this week.
ShaggyAggie01
AG
If it was requested by the family, ok. But all ads for it said 'coming Christmas' which is false advertising IMO.
aggielostinETX
AG
quote:
If it was requested by the family, ok. But all ads for it said 'coming Christmas' which is false advertising IMO.

They pushed up the date to make 2014 Oscar nod. Most theaters weren't ready for it till January.
TheEyeGuy
Sponsor
AG
I'm just tired of wiley x sending me emails talking about how their sun glasses are featured in the movie.
water turkey
From Hamilton
Tex Aggie
AG
His parents just live in Hamilton now
None of them were from Hamilton
Sean98
AG
I went to high school with him and he was a friend of mine. I'm very nervous about the movie but I hope it all goes well.
dr_boogs
AG
Sean - would love to hear about him someday. Words can't express how much I respect our military. Particularly ground troops and all their support staff who do tours in these hell holes to protect us. A volunteer force. They sacrifice so much so we can enjoy the freedom we possess.
curry97
AG
His brother Jeff lives near Waco and is married to an Aggie.
agfan2013
AG
I noticed in one of the trailers, Bradley cooper has a sip hat on for a scene that looked like he was at home. I didn't think he went to texas did he? Just a random observation, I definitely will be seeing this.
FirefightAg
AG
He wore a sip hat during his actual tours. Can't remember where I heard it or read it.
TresPuertas
AG
http://www.dmagazine.com/publications/d-magazine/2013/april/the-legend-of-chris-kyle-01?single=1

This is a pretty good read regarding Kyle. Explains the hat as well. Went to Tarelton briefly and was a big tu fan
BrazosDog02
AG
quote:
quote:

You do realize this is the OB, correct? I mean, there have already been a thread or two dissecting the trailers and the incorrect aspects in those....

Hehe....just pokin the bear.
aggiedata
AG
He was a sip fan, this is true. But I'm willing to over look it based on a story I heard about him and some friends in luxury box at a sip game in Austin.

Apparently a former sip star was in the box hitting on his friends girl. One thing leads to another and Chris Kyle gets into it with this former pro football player and "chokes him out". This sip is said to have soiled himself.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.