Outdoors
Sponsored by

Killing a wasp nest in an electrical box

61,019 Views | 21 Replies | Last: 9 yr ago by moses1084ever
AggieLaw2010
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Slightly attacked today by some red wasps while I was trying to fix some electrical issues.

Thought they were coming from a nearby bush so I all bit nuked it. Went back to the electrical box and saw that a huge nest was in there. Obviously can't spray that sucker down with wasp killer.

Ideas on how I can get them out of there?
FSGuide
Wait until it's dark and you can put a trash bag right by the nest and then shove the whole thing in there and seal it up. They don't sting while it's dark.
AggieLaw2010
AG
The winky face makes me doubt you. I can't STAND wasps.

[This message has been edited by AggieLaw2010 (edited 8/23/2014 7:48p).]
EMY92
AG
Call an electrician.
txags92
AG
Wrap a black plastic trashbag over the box first thing tomorrow morning. Then let the sun shine on it for a few hours.
duddleysdraw88
AG
Fire!

Seriously, just a little heat will get them out of there! They'll probably sting the bejeebers out of you on the way out, but then you can remove the nest!
Flack
Shop vac filled with soapy water. Rig the hose as close to the nest as you can get it, turn it on, run.
oklaunion
cut a vapona strip small enough to fit through an access hole in the box. it will kill most and run the rest out. for maintaining a wasp-free box, soak a cotton ball in most any full strength insecticide and leave in the bottom of the box, replacing yearly.
bigtruckguy3500
Also, maybe try cutting the power and using this stuff http://www.rainbowtech.net/products/view.php?cn=4042 - it's supposed to be resistive to conductance.

And if you're not in an immediate rush, or you want to try and reduce the number avaialble to do you harm before you go at them, try making a baited trap http://www.wikihow.com/Make-a-Wasp-Trap

I also hear videotaping yourself doing it and posting to the internet will minimize the number of stings you get.
Picard
AG
Call an electrician to get a quote on upgrading your box. Don't tell him about the wasps. Then come back here and post an update.

KRamp90
AG
Just get a broom and knock them out.
bricksbricks
AG
Be aggressive. Good luck.
TexasRebel
AG
quote:
Obviously can't spray that sucker down with wasp killer.

why not? It's always worked for me.

If you're worried about the breaker not tripping should you complete the circuit, or if you're on a main line in, you have a few options...

1) wear rubber gloves and/or rubber soled shoes.
2) use the 20+ ft shot stuff, and spray short bursts
3) turn off the power in
4) ground the can

the list can go on, and on.
coyote68
Put out a call to all the snake lovers on this board and someone will step up and relocate them for you.
slickwilly107
When I was about 13, I was helping out on my grandfather's farm over the summer in NE La. We were trying to get a tractor started an as he reached under the cowling I saw something move. I thought it was a big snake because of the shadows. Turns out it was a giant wasp nest. The tractor was a really old and propane fueled. It was parked next to the propane tank. My grandfather hit the nest with a quick blast from the hose off the tank. Damn things were frozen in mid buzz. We pulled the nest off, got the tractor going and went on our way. A few hours later, I parked it right back where it was to begin with. The nest was still there on the ground but it had thawed and there were no wasps anywhere. I don't know if something ate them or if they were able to fly off after thawing but it is one of my coolest memories of my grandfather.
SWCBonfire
AG
http://m.homedepot.com/p/Spectracide-PRO-18-oz-Wasp-and-Hornet-Killer-Aerosol-HG-30110-6/100352314?cm_sp=BazVoice-_-QA_PSVP-_-100352314-_-x

Spray this in boxes all the time and would recommend to anyone. Keep a can in my truck.

Also keeps ants out of well pressure switches/motor starters. Safe to spray in a hot electrical enclosure.

Oh, and it's the best wasp killer out there.
DeWrecking Crew
They make an ant spray safe for electrical boxes, not sure if it would be effective against wasps but couldn't hurt
MexiaAg86
AG
Interesting thread. I found some old wasp nest in the electric boxes while replacing two outdoor ceiling fans yesterday. It's been a bad year for wasp nest. They seem to be everywhere.
rwv2055
AG
As someone who sprays 1-2 electrical boxes a week that are full of wasps, just spray them it won't hurt you.
AggieLaw2010
AG
Thanks for all the replies. I just sprayed the box. Fingers crossed those little ****s are dying right now!
BurnetAggie99
TELCO & POWER WASP & ANT SPRAY - this is what our Lineman use to spray wasp around electric utilities.
Tagguy
AG
Serious solution....

Take a stick and tightly wrap it with an old pair of thin boxers or an undershirt. Pour a little bit of kerosene or diesel onto the rag. Light on fire and wave under the electrical box. You want it to be close enough that plenty of smoke is getting up there but not so close that you are burning the box. They will leave. Sure there will still be some flying around but if it is smoky enough they will be a ways away. If you aren't comfortable with kerosene then try the same thing with a bunch of damp pine needles or newspaper.

When I lived in Alaska we would regularly get wasps and hornets that would build large nests under our deck. This was a good way to get most of them to clear out so we could more easily get to the nest and knock it out.
moses1084ever
AG
Non conductive wasp spray. Unless you're spraying at a high voltage substation, you'll be just fine.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.