Outdoors
Sponsored by

Racoon problem

26,163 Views | 43 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Stat Monitor Repairman
Skubalon
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I live in The Woodlands and I have a raccoon that gets in my trash several times a week. I've tried securing the lid in different ways but The Woodlands requires that I use WM and WM requires that I use their trash cans for pick up so my options are limited.

Now I admit that I have a certain admiration for raccoons. They are resourceful and smart little critters, but I've had enough of this one.

So my question is, given the above, can I shoot it in the head until it is dead with a pellet gun and not get in trouble with LEO or the game warden?

If so, how should I dispose of the remains? As much as I'd enjoy having me a nice Davy Crockett cap made up, I'm guessing that's a violation of some sort of law. Can I just dump it into the same receptacle it's been raiding for weeks and let WM do their job?

sunchaser
AG
Have you tried a couple of bungee cords strecthed from the back side to the chrome bar on the front?

Unless they chew thru the cord I don't think they can get inside.

[This message has been edited by sunchaser (edited 6/8/2014 1:19p).]
Caladan
The TX regulations for raccoon does not allow anyone to take them with an airgun. However, when you get over to the page that deals with "nuisance" fur-bearing animals (which includes raccoon), it states "Landowners or their agents may take nuisance fur-bearing animals in any number by any means at any time on that person's land without the need for a hunting or trapping license". The "any means at any time" portion would seem to protect your ability to shoot them with an airgun.

That being said - it is most likely that your city is like the great majority in this country, and has regulations that prohibit the shooting of airguns within the city limits. Unless you have a very large amount of space between you and your neighbors, I think you would be better off trapping it instead of shooting it. If you do want to try an airgun and would like to borrow one to try out, I have a .22 RWS 34 (break-barrel springer rifle) you can borrow, if you get to the B/CS area.
jbonnot03
AG
IANAL...Send the little *%^$%^* to his maker with the airgun. Triple bag him and let WM do their job.

Unless you have really nosy neighbors, no one will be any wiser. As far as disposal, I used to put lots of duck carcasses in my WM receptacle. Once summer rolls around and it gets really hot, I would pay attention to when you disposed of him. He might get a little ripe from the heat.
ursusguy
AG
Spray your trash can down with ammonia.
NOBEVO
AG
Google "Coon Cuff" . Bait with marshmallow and molasses. Tap in head with .22 sub-sonic from rifle/not pistol or multiple air gun shots. My count is eleven since March.
BrazosDog02
AG
Jeebus. Just bungee the thing shut. Every other solution will create a new problem....like what to do with the carcass. I shoot them because I can legally fire a weapon at my home but when one dies another moves in. Take away the food source and you'll be in business.
sunchaser
AG
quote:
it states "Landowners or their agents may take nuisance fur-bearing animals in any number by any means at any time on that person's land without the need for a hunting or trapping license". The "any means at any time" portion would seem to protect your ability to shoot them with an airgun

A nuisance animal is defined as one that causes damage to agricultural crops, livestock, poultry, or personal property. I'm not sure if opening the lid of MW's trash container qualifies.
ursusguy
AG
If you are removing a large number of raccoons, you may be shooting yourself in the foot and triggering a density dependent reponse.
NewArmy69
AG
Go to Home Depot and buy a Hav-a-hart trap. Bait with a can of tuna fish. That has always worked for me.
ursusguy
AG
Just a general reminder, if you live trap a raccoon, it is illegal to relocate. You van kill, you just can't relocate it.
aeon-ag
Gopher bait has Strychnine in it, get it from a feed store.
Kenneth_2003
AG
Seriously the bungee cord is the cheapest and easiest fix.
wellboriginal
Your HOA allows your WM container to be visible at night? Or is it in your back yard?
Cowboy1990
Obligatory "Momma just chases em of with a broom."

[This message has been edited by Crusaders41 (edited 6/9/2014 2:44a).]
The Fife
Check with the HOA. Racoons may be banned.
cledus6150
AG
We always live trapped them with a have a heart trap, then ended up finishing the with either 22shorts or CCI QUITE rounds.
sunchaser
AG
Raccoons are in the top ten of smart animals on some listings. Take it as a challenge.

1) Labs will do just about anything for treats.
Get a trash watcher:
One treat for a scare off
Two for a run off
Five for hair

2) Bungee cords....camo or green might be harder to see.

3) Soak cotton balls in amonia so they will leave the hooks alone.

4) Don't forget cotton balls on the other two hooks.

5) A mea culpa is mandatory if you can't out smart a raccoon.

ursusguy
AG
Well done
Sean98
AG
That is a vicious canine if I have ever seen one.
Col. Steve Austin
AG
There is an easy humane solution:

Bait it, catch the coon and then relocate it to another locale. Easy breezy!
Skubalon
quote:

As I understand it, this is illegal without a very specific license.
Tagguy
AG

+

+

+

???

=

Profit!!
Sean98
AG
quote:

Easy, breezy, ILLEGAL, and in addition to that likely to result in a much more terrifying experience than a .22 in the head.
hellapark
AG
I have heard rumors that something called "Monkey Chow" made by Purina will kill coons. Apparently it's some sort of feed for monkeys that will kill coons.

I have also heard that Golden Marlin fly bait mixed with corn syrup or other sweetener will kill them dead too.

Not sure of the legality of this or risk of poisoning other critters, just things I have heard of.

[This message has been edited by hellapark (edited 6/9/2014 4:35p).]
ursusguy
AG
Funny how many thing are supposedly killed by Monkey Chow.

As described, I would never recommend poisoning.

---Again, it is illegal for Joe Doe citizen to relocate raccoons, and I NEVER recommend relocation. The legality isn't TPWD. It is the Health department's rabies quarantine.

[This message has been edited by ursusguy (edited 6/9/2014 6:08p).]
Skubalon
I'm not interested in poisons. That has too many unintended consequences (although I have contemplated trying to find a strong laxative and "accidentally" leaving it on top of the trash bin).

I will try the bungee cords again. Last time I did the bungees the damn things chewed through them. Maybe the ammonia will help, although I'm guessing that rig pictured above is a 21st century equivalent to a snipe hunt.

If that doesn't do the trick I'm going pellet gun or sub .22 on them.
sunchaser
AG
My advice would be to avoid anything that borders on illegal. I back up to Corps property. I have seen neighbors get in trouble over a variety of different issues regarding wildlife over the years...some very serious and proved to be very expensive.

On the other hand most are clueless as to what moves thru their yard during the dark hours. As ursusguy can testify we have seen mountain lions numerous times but have never seen a bobcat, deer, fox, raccoon, coyote, armadillo, possum or rabbit.

We have had various reports of a new bird species with a long beak and tail seen running thru the subdivision.

If the straight bungee cords don't work I would think you could get a couple of pieces of vinyl coated cable wire...put hooks on the back side and loops on the front and short cords on the front that attach to the bar and provide the tension. I would think they are going to mess with the top rather than the front.
Tagguy
AG
quote:
As ursusguy can testify we have seen mountain lions numerous times but have never seen a bobcat, deer, fox, raccoon, coyote, armadillo, possum or rabbit.

Maybe there is a reason you aren't seeing other wildlife when the mountain lions are around
O.G.
If you trap him, you're going to have a PO'd live coon to deal with.

SSS.
Tagguy
AG
Just pretend it is a cat....

Sack + river + ??? = Profit
Colonel A. 1976
AG
your house your property your pain in the arse...shoot the bugger, dispose of him and move on...if his brother shows up...repeat...no need for debate or worries about LE..keep it to yourself and move on

Col. A 1976
sunchaser
AG
...his house...his property...his pain in theass...shot the buggers...got ratted out...levid $100,000 in fines...settled for five digits...paid up...moved out.
ATX_AG_08
AG
Sweep em off with a broom.
Stat Monitor Repairman

At about the 30 second mark you see this coon swim around the take a dump in this guys pool.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.