Outdoors
Sponsored by

Found a yellow tipped 5.56 at work. Educated myself...now sharing.

26,422 Views | 17 Replies | Last: 9 yr ago by AtlAg05
Eliminatus
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
So at work I come across several oddities. Usually objects or munitions that we cannot identify. We appropriately dub them "unicorns".

Well I came across one yesterday that was really intriguing to me. Found a yellow tipped 5.56X45 mm cartridge.I had never seen a yellow tip before So I took it and did some research. Ended up with a rather rare bullet.

I have tentatively identified it as a so called "Duplex" round. An experimental round that utilized TWO different projectiles stacked on one another. The idea being you get two bullets per round. More potential targets hit down range. that made several calibers with the 5.56 having 2 33 grain bullets on to of one another. This round I think was designed to be used on the ACR program that got axed in 1990. It made it to Phase III of testing but then the whole project was scrapped. (figures). Only real problem I have with my current theory is the head stamp. Lake City 01 with NATO markings. Everything I have found so far has indicated that no rounds of this type were made/tested past 1990. One reference even warned against finding any with stamps past 90. Not sure why. It was found on an older range on a federal installation.

Now, the other option is it being a so called "Star-Burst" Round. A kind of sexy spotting round using titanium flakes that flare in a 6-8 ft circle marking a target very nicely indeed. There was also a third option initially of it being a true spotter round. I X'ed that off the list however as it has no visible nose fuse which the 5.56mm had. It is a smooth projectile all around with no breaks anywhere.

Both possibilities can be yellow tipped.

Obviously, simply taking it apart will give me the answer right away but I hesitate to do so. It's a pretty cool round either way and rather rare so I am loathe to disassemble/shoot it.

Has anyone else had experience with such a round in their travels?

[This message has been edited by Eliminatus (edited 11/1/2013 12:07a).]
Log
AG
Where do you work?

Any chance you can xray the round?
Eliminatus
AG
This was picked up on an old range on Camp Pendleton. Range 223 B(LFAM) if you are familiar with the area.

And I could probably burn a favor to xray it at the base EOD shop. I probably won't though. Not really worth it methinks.
Scruffy
AG
Just a theory, but could one of your buddies have just painted some old round and let it fall where you would find it?
Just to mess with you?
Eliminatus
AG
No chance. I was first one to find it and it was partially buried in unbroken ground. Plus, when I inspected the paint to see if perhaps it was just a faded red, it is definitely an original paint. My team leader had also come across a couple in the past but was unable to identify them either. So these rounds do exist.
Puryear Playboy
AG
I have a friend with over 20 years of service to our Republic in Special Forces, all of it at the pointy end of the spear, who just retired this year and thus is still pretty fresh...anyway I sent him this thread and he sent me the two responses below.

This first:

I’ve seen green tip (easy), black, red, and even brown (Barnes triple shock in Iraq); but never Yellow. Here in the states, and overseas training… I’ve seen a little bit of everything. I would have said it was foreign, maybe Jordo or Israeli, except for the LC stamp on it. I have a high-level rep at ATK (they own Lake City), that will track it down for me… It may take a couple of days.

And then this from his contact:

Hi XXXX,

A follow up for you.

We touched base with some people down at LC and they said:

The best guess coming out of LC is that it's an M856 tracer where the tip ID paint has discolored due to element exposure.

Again--nothing official--just trying to help you out.

Doesn't get much closer to the horses mouth than that.

If you have time check out Maximum Warrior at Maximum Warrior .com...its a great show and if it were on TV it would destroy TopShot. Spread the word and Like them on FB, it will be a favor to my friend.
chosin
AG

[This message has been edited by chosin (edited 11/6/2013 9:31p).]
Column
AG
They use Barnes triple shocks in Iraq?
ag-guy
AG
Looks like a tracer round to me....

chosin
AG

[This message has been edited by chosin (edited 11/6/2013 9:30p).]
ConstructionAg01
AG
So are we working around the Geneva requirement for FMJ ammo due to the recipients of a Barnes TSX being enemy combatants and not uniformed soldiers?

If so, good. I bet they are devastatingly effective.
Log
AG
Brown tip is Mk318 Mod 0. 62 grain bullet that looks much like a TSX.
Ulysses90
AG
I'll ask a graybeard at PM Ammo next time I am at MARCORSYSCOM. They have a corporate memory like elephants for this type of question.
Angry Beaver
AG
Have you licked it to see if it's poison?
Eliminatus
AG
Follow up.

I finally loaded it and shot it. Worked just fine. Definitely was a starburst round. Shot at a steel plate and it hit with the usual smack but with an increased audible pop and a shower of extremely bright sparks that encompassed about 3-4 sq ft in area.

Pretty cool stuff. I just wish I had my phone with me to record it. Some more googling and I guess this stuff isn't THAT rare but it is still a neat round and something I was not familiar with at all.

I ended up finding another one so still got one left.
CrossTimbersW
AG
So shoot the second one and record it for all of the OB to see this time...

3rdGenAg05
AG
Sounds like an APIT round. I've only had experience with those in .50 though.
Memories from LFAM ranges!!
Eliminatus
AG
quote:
Sounds like an APIT round. I've only had experience with those in .50 though.
Memories from LFAM ranges!!
It is classified as an incendiary round. The label of spotting round is just for NATO purposes I think. Found some more literature that was definitely adamant about the incendiary properties of it. It was utilized for anti material use and useful for setting fires in engine compartments, etc.

So I have been educated on yellow tip. To go along with the brown and green/white tipped munitions.

Cool stuff. pretty neat to see all the different kinds of things engineers come up with. Though now with the advent of binary component fuzes the new 20MM HE is literally impossible to tell the difference between a live and a practice round with the naked eye. *******s...
AtlAg05
AG
Until there is a video, I'm more impressed with the 1.5 year follow up.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.