Outdoors
Sponsored by

do you need trailer brakes on small single axle trailer?

10,103 Views | 14 Replies | Last: 11 yr ago by SD_71
shiftyandquick
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Probably going to buy a small cargo trailer (12+2 v-nose, single axle) for some light-weight hauling with an early model Tundra. My buddy tells me that I should invest a bit more and get trailer brakes because it will decrease the wear and tear on my truck's brakes. Based on his experience of having to deal with warped rotors that overheated and the like. I will be hauling light-weight recreational equipment well less than 1000lb (as did/does he).

Any thoughts on this?
SWCBonfire
AG
You don't need brakes if you're not going to race like you're in a grand prix.
AG_02
AG
NO
CanyonAg77
AG
Agreed, no need. I often pull much heavier stuff without trailer brakes. If I pulled it all the time or at highway speeds, I might consider brakes.
mustang6tee8
AG
Nah, no need. Just make sure the front pads on the truck are good quality.
CrossBowAg99
AG
It depends on what you are pulling it with. A Toyota = Yes. Ford = No.

Kidding, but the real answer is no. IMO, if the trailer is not built with breaks it doesn't need them as long as you load it for what it is designed for. If you are hauling loads with trailers that do not have breaks and they damage your truck breaks easily, you are overloading the trailer.
TexasRebel
AG
No brakes needed for 4,500# or less

15,000# if you stay under 30 mph.

If you're buying and not building, a 12' enclosed probably already has brakes. I guess it could be a single 3,500# axle, but that doesn't allow for much cargo.

[This message has been edited by TexasRebel (edited 8/29/2013 1:47a).]
shiftyandquick
Google search and one thread was saying that brakes are actually preferable on any trailer.

I'll be hauling windsurfing equipment and maybe a kayak. So bulky, but lightweight.
sunchaser
AG
You will be lucky to get more than one year on any trailer brakes you stick in salt water...
shiftyandquick
won't be going in water. Will go to beach (and stay on land).

is there any downside to having trailer brakes?
RCR06
AG
There isn't really a downside other than its another mechanical part that can break. With what you're talking about hauling I don't think there's much need. If it makes you feel better, then go ahead.

I have a buddy that took his off his boat trailer after they started locking up(due to saltwater). Trailer is fine and I doubt its done much damage to the truck.
Hoss
AG
My personal opinion is that all trailers should have brakes unless it's just one of those little bitty trailers for hauling a riding mower or something.
shiftyandquick
just called the trailer place. in a 2700 trailer, he quoted about 350 to add on brakes. And said if i don't have a brake controller (I don't), then I would be looking at $600 total.

I think I will pass.
DriftwoodAg
AG
it sounds like your buddy likes to slam on his breaks. When I'm pulling a trailer, I like to give myself plenty of room to stop
dahouse
AG
My take on towing:

Getting it started isn't the problem, it's stopping it.

If you have a 1-ton truck, you can stop a lot more trailer than a half-ton.

I have brakes on everything over 14'.

Cody
Fightin Texas Aggie c/o 04
SD_71
AG
I have found that brakes on small trailers that you do not pull every day and do maintenance on a real regular basis are worthless because they do not work about 70% of the time!!
Just watch where you are going and what is in front of you and you will be good.
Lot more chance of it coming unhooked than needing brakes to stop. Use safety chains!!!
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.