Outdoors
Sponsored by

Anyone have a Sierra reloading manual? Load look up...

14,058 Views | 11 Replies | Last: 11 yr ago by PFG
PFG
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I'm loading some Sierra bullets this weekend, but don't have the Sierra reload book. First time trying bullets from Sierra. Anyone here have one and be willing to look up a load for me?

I'm loading the 130 grain Sierra Gameking for a 270.

Looking to see what the most accurate load is, what COAL is recommended, powder suggestions, etc. Heck, maybe a picture of the load page would be easiest.

Thanks for the help OB.
Knotman
I googled Sierra Loading amnual and got this:
http://www.docbig.com/sierra/sierra-reloading-manual-pdf-free-download/
Moses_93
AG
I am loading 44 grains of IMR 4064 with that bullet. It is not anywhere near max and it is shooting well.

if you are planning on using an IMR powder check out their website for free load data.
Doc Hayworth
I'll check when I get home tonight. But, Sierra Manuals, at least the one I have, does not list most accurate loads.

they do list COAL, and the normal variety of powders with the selected components.

I'll post something for you before 7pm today.

BTW, what town are you in. I ask only in case they call for specific primers and you don't have them, I might be able to help out.

[This message has been edited by Doc Hayworth (edited 5/9/2013 2:52p).]
GSS
Great online resource:
http://data.hodgdon.com/main_menu.asp

The COAL posted in manuals is usually the SAAMI established value, which may not be the best for accuracy. Only through testing can the best COAL be found, and often the magazine length determines if that is achievable.
Ag_of_08
AG
I have one at home, I'll get it for you after I go look at a beehive cutout we're going to do tomorrow
Sublette County
AG
In my experience, the Sierra manual is very conservative. I've found my best 308 loads were a couple of grains above Sierra's published max. I'd start within the published range and work my way up, looking for signs of excessive pressure on the spent shells.
Ag_of_08
AG
the sierra book I have is a pistol edition. It has a lot of rifle loads, but no .270 for whatever reason...sorry
Doc Hayworth
130 gr Spitzer or Flat Base:

IMR-3031 - MIN. = 41.3GR MAX = 46.5

IMR 4895 - 42.4 47.9

IMR 4064 43.1 48.3

IMR 4320 44.1 49.3

H380 44.4 50.1

760 47.7 53.1

IMR4350 48.4 54.9

H450 48.4 54.9

IMR4831 52.0 57.1

H4831 53.7 59.5

COAL = 3.340"

Sorry for not making it by 7pm, the wife had some things for me to do when I got home.

Hope this info helps.
PFG
AG
Thanks Doc! I have some of the IMR and Hodg powders listed. Probably start with 4831. I also plan to compare these loads to what Nosler recommends for the Accubond. Hoping to find a load where I can plink with the Gameking, and hunt with the Accubond and have very close ballistics.

Really appreciate you taking the time to type that up. And on the offer for powder. Will keep you in mind if I ever get in a pinch.
schmellba99
AG
In addition to Nosler, look at Hodgdon's site and Allian'ts site. Every manufacturer of components has variations in their load data. Don't limit yourself to just projectile manufacturer data.
Doc Hayworth
IMO, the gameking or prohunter will do anything the accubond will and at a much cheaper price.

But, you can't go wrong with a Nosler bullet, either.
PFG
AG
It's that exact reason I picked up a box of Gamekings. Hear great stuff about them. And if my rifle likes them it sure will save some coin. Love the price.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.