Outdoors
Sponsored by

Homemade protein feeders

20,520 Views | 14 Replies | Last: 11 yr ago by 909Ag2006
909Ag2006
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Here's some protein feeders I made on the cheap. Y'all see any reasons these wont work?

[This message has been edited by 909Ag2006 (edited 2/5/2013 3:57p).]
AgySkeet06
AG
you need to drill small holes at the bottom of the pvc so rain and other moisture doesnt clog the tube.

I built similar ones and they work well
909Ag2006
AG
You mean drill holes under the out spouts?
FC12
Yes, drill some holes in the section that is parallel to the ground...basically from the 90 elbow to the opening. Water will find it's way up in there and will sit there being soaked up by the protein...

Remember though, when you drill up in to the PVC, go back in the inside and sand it down so there isn't a lip around the drill hole.
909Ag2006
AG
Got it. Thanks fellas. Anything else?
AgySkeet06
AG
you could add some shark teeth to it also to deter coons and such...
http://www.bossbuck.com/products/parts/sharkteeth.html
909Ag2006
AG
I greased all of the legs with axle grease. That's worked well on my corn feeders in the past and we have LOTS of coins in medina county. I've read a lot of reviews that say those shark teeth don't work that great.
Hunter_812
AG
They look good. If you build anymore, you might think about adding another spout or two so that more than 1 deer can eat at a time.
CEPhD
AG
quote:
They look good. If you build anymore, you might think about adding another spout or two so that more than 1 deer can eat at a time.

Well, he's got like 5 feeders all right there together, so...
909Ag2006
AG
quote:
Well, he's got like 5 feeders all right there together, so...

I'm sure it looks kind of funny with five of them all together, but my goal is to not have to be filling them up constantly. I've got five feeders, and each one holds 300 lbs of protein, so I can put out 1,500 lbs at a time. It's the equivalent of a 1,500 pound, 5 spout feeder, and I built the whole thing for about $300. I live in Houston and the ranch is in Hondo, so I can't be going down there to fill them all the time.

[This message has been edited by 909Ag2006 (edited 2/5/2013 1:37p).]
Allen76
AG
No cattle? Or will it be fenced off?
909Ag2006
AG
No cattle, but I'm going to build a fence to keep hogs out. I've got the t posts driven, but the fence isn't up yet. That's a project for another weekend.
Lungblood
They'll work just fine and even better if you put funnels in them.
Deerdude
Can't really tell for sure, but the spouts look a little high. I'd have them down to about 22" to be sure that fawns can partake as soon as possible. The earlier the introduction to protein, the better.

Yea, you are going to feed some coons, but you are also feeding fawns. You can raise the spout as fawn size permits.

They look good.

[This message has been edited by Deerdude (edited 2/5/2013 8:26p).]
afs3
They look great! Would like to build some myself. Did you make our buy the legs? How did you mount the PVC? Anything you would change, do different, etc. Did you funnel them? Thanks!
909Ag2006
AG
The spouts are 38 inches off the ground. Probably too high for the fawns, but I didn't want to feed nothing but racoons. The coons are terrible on our place. Before I started greasing the legs on our corn feeders, I would sometimes have pictures of 12 or more racoons eating corn on and around the feeders.

I got the legs from Academy for $13 per set on clearance after deer season closed. The PVC is attached with 4" toilet flanges and quarter inch nuts and bolts. You'll need a 2.5" hole saw that can cut through steel and a plug in drill to cut holes in the bottom of the barrels(cordless won't be stong enough).

I don't have funnels in them, but I will probably put them in there eventually. I may try to fashion funnels out of trash can lids if I can find them for cheap.

[This message has been edited by 909Ag2006 (edited 2/6/2013 9:45a).]

[This message has been edited by 909Ag2006 (edited 2/6/2013 1:20p).]
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.